N.Y. Motorcycle show

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by oldmanb777, Dec 19, 2012.

1. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    wonder how that ad read.

help wanted. must have perfect legs. as in f'ing perfect even without stockings because you won't be wearing any. also perfect breasts as in no fake ones.

just a bad picture of that girl they were all :eek1
  2. Detale

Detale Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Na man that pic is pretty accurate. I thought it to myself when seeing them at the show
  3. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, no one has posted a picture from behind showing their other "assets", which were substantial. :D Know Italians, I'm sure that was also a large part of their employment prequalifications.
  4. docgonzo

docgonzo Great Old Turtle

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    Hey, did anyone look at the BIKES at the show? :D

For the record, the little 250 cc street legal dirt bikes by Kawasaki and Honda were pretty decent. Not for enduros, but definitely reasonable for everyday woods riding and urban commuting.

[​IMG]
  5. DavidBanner

DavidBanner Banned

Oddometer:
    once again, Ducati thinking T&A will sell bikes. (#2 and #5:drif)

it's 2013 fer chrissakes...the bikes still break and they're still too pricey. meanwhile, suzuki had an old fogey hanging out by the gixxers and hayabusas...because those bikes sell themselves (stone cold reliability and performance).

maybe Ducati needs to budget less money for marketing fluff and more for development.
  6. Detale

Detale Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh I did I fell for the new Honda CB's. For around 5,000 I may get my first new bike ever!!! Specs

CB500X
    [​IMG]

CB500F
    [​IMG]

Not so much their 10K 1100 retro bike. 10K!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]
  7. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And yet... Ducati keeps beating their sales goals and are growing market share while Suzuki motorcycle was and still may be close to life support.

It ain't all fluff, and they've probably done more development (and delivery on the development) than most, if not all, of the Japanese manufacturers. They've studied and reacted to what the market's wanted-- expanding beyond pure sport bikes, improving reliability, and lengthening service intervals. And they've done this while still keeping their distinctive cachet. It's currently a very smart and well-run company.
  8. DavidBanner

DavidBanner Banned

Oddometer:

if we're comparing the two...suzuki is celebrating it's 50th year in the states and it's millionth gixxer.

many more people will own or ride a suzuki in their lifetime. doesn't that count for something more than "exclusivity" and "T&A"?

"exclusivity" is the antithesis of motorcycling, IMHO.
  9. MCGMB

MCGMB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Motorcyling is intrinsically exclusive -- how many bikes do you see out there compared to cars? Ducati is just more exclusive than others.

I went to the Ducati display and was very impressed. Along with having all their new bikes easily accessible to look at and sit on (some other places -- e.g.Triumph -- were cramped, though Suzuki was very good), the female reps were actively walking around talking to everyone, with tablets in hand collecting feedback (and e-mail addresses). They actually seemed interested in what I had to say --- who knew?! Judging from their new model introductions, it appears they've been listening.

Plus I like espresso.:clap
  10. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Of course we did.:D

[​IMG]

The other side...

[​IMG]

Also thought this one was interesting...

[​IMG]

Sorry. The Zero girls were on break when I got to the booth.

Speaking of Kawasaki, the new color on the KLR looked cool...

[​IMG]

BTW, great meeting you and your lovely wife this weekend, Doc.
  11. RedPower

RedPower Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank You!
    Well Said :clap:clap

<TABLE style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR title="Post 20541436" vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 width=125 align=middle>DavidBanner</TD><TD class=alt1>once again, Ducati thinking T&A will sell bikes. (#2 and #5:drif)

it's 2013 fer chrissakes...the bikes still break and they're still too pricey. meanwhile, suzuki had an old fogey hanging out by the gixxers and hayabusas...because those bikes sell themselves (stone cold reliability and performance).

maybe Ducati needs to budget less money for marketing fluff and more for development

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    21K on a 999
    36K on a 1st Gen Hyper
    16K on a 1200 Multi
    11K on another 1st Gen Hyper
    1500 on a Panigale & no failures:D

Just lots of Gas, Tires & Oil Changes
    Sure I've had to the check the valves, but after the intial break-in they've held good.
    Only 4 sets of belts & now with the Panigale.....bye, bye belts:clap:clap

They may be a little more $$$ than the Japanese bikes but when most see one there's no mistaking it's a Ducati.
    Japanese bikes on the other hand are cookie cutters.

I own an FZ1 also & everyone asks "what is it? Kawasaki? Suzuki?" etc.
    15K & counting, the bike has been issue free also, but if it wasn't for the hard hitting powerband, it would have no Character.
    That's why I will always own a Ducati:D
    But to each their own.

Here's some "assets" some were looking for:wink:
    [​IMG]
  12. Detale

Detale Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It all comes down to money. They cost more so they have more to spend on display space and marketing. Don't get me wrong I like them...alot, but I can't see spending that much on my hobby.

I also wouldn't categorize motorcycling as "exclusive" from what I've seen people who are new to it are welcomed in to the fold and I've been involved in many of the different internal clicks we have (sport bikes, pirates, choppers, vintage, dirtbike guys) Everyone seems pretty cool except for the occasional harley snob. There are more cars on the road because for most people they are more practical and easier to drive.
  13. MCGMB

MCGMB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed, it ALWAYS comes down to money, no matter the brand -- the issue is how you choose to allocate your marketing funds. The Big 4 spends on TV, radio, billboards, internet, social media, race contingencies and so on -- certainly far far more than Ducati does in the aggregate, in the US anyway as far as I can tell. So as a prospective customer, where would I rather see a manufacturer spend their marketing dollars if forced to make a choice -- on TV, radio, etc...OR friendly reps listening to what I have to say, all the while sipping espresso.

I know which I'd choose. Please don't tell me you'd rather watch TV?:lol3
  14. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF

Oddometer:
    What I loved about Ducati: naked bike, trellis frame, cool motor and no hi-tech stuff. I guess those days are gone.
  15. Dieselpwr

Dieselpwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure Ducati is expensive and in some cases uncomfortable, but they make the sexiest bikes on Earth. And the sound of one with some Termi's is incredible. I've ridden Japanese and German and hopefully Italian one day.
  16. Detale

Detale Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh I love me some TV! Thats great to hear that a company seemingly cared what an average rider had to say. Customer service is hard to find these days. Personally I like dukes I just don't love them. I've ridden an older 929my brother had and a few different years of Monster. and I just can't get over the price point and the maintenance costs.
  17. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
  18. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
  19. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Personally, if any of the 'model marketing' worked I'd be all over the Indian line up of motorcycles...

[​IMG]
  20. docgonzo

docgonzo Great Old Turtle

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    Was great meeting you as well. Glad you weren't in your clown paint. Clowns scare me! And thanks for the beer!:clap:clap