2014 Best of Montana 1000

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Timmer, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin, again:)

Oddometer:
    The Wolfman Rainier bag with the KLR specific harness is a good choice.

[​IMG]
  2. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    We posted prelim. .gpx files for original MT 1000 in order to get feedback / help. I think as long as inmates know it is preliminary, you have nothing to lose by posting?

FWIW,

md
  3. BronsonRock

BronsonRock Banned

Oddometer:

+1 :1drink
  4. Wansfel

Wansfel I'm not lost! The world is just a bit misplaced.

Oddometer:
    I agree, especially breaking new ground. When Timmer gets back stateside and we agree on the intended general course, then perhaps.
  5. DirtyPatches

DirtyPatches Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks for the tip sleddog, that's exactly what I'm after! You use one?
    It's hard telling what will fit right on the KLR shopping online.
  6. Wansfel

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a Nelson-Rigg Adventure tank bag to replace my old beatup tank bang. Hopefully big enough to pack along my DSLR. Along with some Roxx Risers - need to get my bars even higher and farther forward for easier standing.

Been looking at soft side bags for my 2nd KLR. My son will hitting the BOM this year with me. Found these:

Nelson-Rigg Adventure Dry Bag

Ortlieb QRL2
  7. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin, again:)

Oddometer:
    Yes, I used one on my KLR, along with the extra pockets. I now use it on the wee Strom.

For my WR, I have a Wolfman Enduro bag, I modified it to use the pockets from the Ranier.

Sleddog
  8. RidingAgin

RidingAgin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought these soft saddle bags for my F650gs twin with Touratech hard mounts. My son borrowed the f658 for a few months last year for commuting to work, 8000 miles in 5 months and the bags held up well.

I can use my hard al TT or the soft bags on the F658.

Dennis
  9. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For softside bags, has anyone else considered Happy Trails? I've got a set for my F650GS and they work well. I especially like the suspension method for the bags (straps that pass under the bags).
  10. Wansfel

Oddometer:
    Their Mojave bags? That's what I have on my KLR. Good bags, could be a bit larger.
  11. DirtyPatches

DirtyPatches Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had to add that to my gear shopping, sorry bud but couldn't resist exactly what I'm looking for plus that high viz tank bag is gonna look so nice with the nelson rigg high viz saddle bags I got... and my high viz helmet
  12. BronsonRock

BronsonRock Banned

Oddometer:
    This thread has been derailed... :huh Can we get back to the route/ride?
  13. Wansfel

Oddometer:
    We got Timmer back now so the routing will move forward, but gear discussion is also planning and I think we may have some relatively new runners this year that could benefit.
  14. 4r22mny

4r22mny Old n' Slow

Oddometer:
    Been following this thread with a LOT of interest. I think I'd like to join in if I could. Lots of time yet for commitment.

However, I would like to help if you need it. I work in the Payette Nat'l Forest each summer. I'm very familiar with roads and trails in there. Also know the Stanley, Challis, and Salmon areas and the Clearwater drainage.

If you need help with routing or checking out some of those areas, I'd be more than willing to do it. :ear I work 4 10's in the summer and have 3 day weekends to play.:clap

4r
  15. Wansfel

Oddometer:
    :thumb Expect a PM!
  16. Kinsman

Kinsman Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer:
    Expect a couple of 'em.
    I'm gonna be looking for a good route out of Salmon or Challis, thinking of ending up at Painted Rocks (west fork bitterroot). I'll have a look at my maps and then I'll have some questions for you.
  17. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    Marked down on my Calendar :clap
  18. Wansfel

Oddometer:
    Ok, time for the route.

Timmer and I have been doing some fine tuning and we agree its time to show our cards.

We will be seeking input on the route. There is plenty time for further fine tuning. The current version looks good, but we are always open to suggestions, (well to a degree anyway.)

To facilitate working input, I have created a blog with more detailed information, a basic itinerary, Google Maps links - day by day, daily mileage estimates and other general information. There is also a link to the current version of a GPX file which will be updated as we move towards July 26th.

The blog is located at BOM2014.blogspot.com . General discussion should remain here on this thread. Use the blog for specific route work.

Ride overview text from the blog:
    Starting Saturday July 26, 2014

Disclaimer: This is an informal ride designed to support larger adventure motorcycles. It will be conducted on dirt/gravel vehicle roads as much as possible. Pavement is kept to a minimum and mainly to connect dirt stretches which makes it very appropriate to smaller motorcycles. The ride is self directed and self supported which means riders should be prepared to manage themselves including navigating the route, feeding yourself, camping capability (we are shooting for official designated USFS campgrounds every night.

Occasionally (very rarely) we may be near commercial lodging. Be prepared to manage your motorcycle's mechanical needs and any possible breakdowns including tire repair. Some areas are very remote and may be 50 miles or further from any form of support. Cell phone coverage will be virtually non-existent other than when traveling near or through any major towns. No guarantees with the routes that will be provided. Remember, you travel these routes and schedules at your own risk.

As in previous years, with a larger group off riders, sub-groups will naturally form given rider abilities. There will be no active monitoring of attendees. Generally accepted safe-motoring is expected as is good motorcycle and support gear preparation. Ride to your ability. It will be an excellent event to meet other adventure riders and learn from the experience. Routes, tracks, and key waypoints will be provided in GPX files. If you are not familiar or do not use a routing capable GPS, we will make general route text available and you will be encouraged to ride with other riders who do have GPS capability.

Other than the Pioneer Scenic Byway, this is an entirely new route from previous years. The route runs north to south in MT then West through new country over to the general vicinity of McCall, ID. It includes remote dirt roads near and in Glacier plus the Going to the Sun Road.

Daily mileages will fall between 160 to 195 miles per day. The full formal route will be over 1200 miles (Saturday through Friday).

See the blog for Google Maps links for each day and the GPX link. The GPX file is broken into two tracks for each day plus some bonus routes to help get you to the start and from the finish. We won't generate the route files until the final version in July.

Let the fun begin!!!
  19. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The fun has been going on already!! We hope you'll be able to join on the 2014 running of the Montana 1000. This one's a bit longer and the beginning and end are quite a distance from one another.
  20. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    OK then. I am looking for a sub-group of "Old men on big bikes"!:D

Again after our ride since I am going to Grandjean ID for the Stanley Stomp this route is outstanding for me.