Whine , whine , 120 flat no repartable tire 1.4 hours from

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by fullmetalscooter, Aug 21, 2012.

1. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    120 bucks tow for non fixable so let me Whine , whine , whine , Oh your not my pycitirst sorry I Even he tell me to shut up and if I keep talking he is raising his rate, 10 bucks per word. :cry I have to say getting tow is mega bucks even the cheapest where I live is 130 bucks for 1.4 hours of there time. Some tow companies wanted 75 bucks an hour and the fee starts from where ever the driver happens to be. Others wanted 3 bucks A K. or 6 something a miles plus the tow fee. Why didn't I get a shop to replace the tire and pick it up? I was thinking that would open a can of worms that I don't wanted to deal with. A shop that say it's also going to do this or that to my helix. Anyway. Whine, cry , yell infectiously and pull my cash out anyway. I m guessing this is just another pointless posting by me. :eek1:eek1 LOL
  2. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    It might be worth it to get a towing service. I used to pay $35 per year for a towing service from MTS. Now it's free with my AMA membership. I don't know if either of these is available in Canada.
  3. fullmetalscooter

Oddometer:
    What does MTS stand for ?? is it the below MTS towing .com ?

So far I ve see http://www.goodsamers.com/auto/ at 80 bucks a year
    https://www.mts-towing.com/join.asp for 50 to 80 buck plans along with 1/2 half off plan from apirl to sept.
    http://hrca.honda.com/ is about the same for honda roadside assistance plan if you buy a membership
    AAA is 120 bucks but at least once I waited 3 hours for them to get someone to me and 1 hours on the phone.

Any other towing insurance plans that don 't mean buying motorycle insurance at the same time.
  4. bbishoppcm

bbishoppcm It ain't a moped.

Oddometer:
    Well, I was just in your shoes... less than 1/4th a mile from my house... I said "screw it," and drove it home... here's what it ended up costing me, due to my own negligence.

First, the stuff it needed due to having a flat tire;

-Tire ($65 +$40 to mount... since I bought the tire online...)
    -Exhaust gaskets ($18)

Now the stuff that was DESTROYED due to me driving it on a flat tire for less than a quarter of a mile (actually, it may have even been less than that... really, I could see my house from where the tire blew out!!)

-Front drive pulley; stripped the splines clean off from all the stress and heat ($22)
    -Clutch bell, was only a few thousand miles old at the time and from all the stress, turned a nice shade of indigo; now it shudders on acceleration again ($80)

Moral of the story? It sucks to be me too.
  5. InlineSkate

InlineSkate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Less than a quarter mile why didn't you just roll it home?
  6. bbishoppcm

bbishoppcm It ain't a moped.

Oddometer:
    It's all uphill. I'd have to push it up a long, windy, uphill driveway, across a parking lot, down into the backyard (downhill), then back up the yard (which is fairly steep), and onto my deck.
  7. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sucks! $120 is a lot of money! Seriously! I was just thinking maybe they's charging you for gas, but I mean 1.4 hours is only what, about 60 miles or so? So 120 miles roundtrip, which means only about $32 if there truck averages about 15 MPG. So they making about $80 for the tow. Thats a little high! I got a 100 miles free towing with AAA.

You should try and keep a can of fix a flat with you. It works a lot of times, BUT of course not always. But if you don't, I can't blame you. I know I should with my motorcycle, but I don't have saddle bags right now and I don't want to bring a backpack on long rides. In some cases I'll have to though if I go to isolated areas out in the valley on account I has to bring water, cause there ain't no phone reception for long distances in lots of places out there.
  8. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    gas isnt the only overhead

truck payment, insurance, maintenance, taxes etc etc all come out of the £80
  9. Starbuck21

Starbuck21 Manly scooterist!

Oddometer:
    Absolutely! I have a Riders of Kawasaki membership that provides towing and a AAA+ membership that will do it also; I am old and pushing a 550 lb scoot is not for ME!!! :evil
  10. hugemoth

hugemoth Bad Motorscooter

Oddometer:
    One great advantage to the old Vespas is the spare tire that could be changed in 5 minutes.
  11. Tacoma

Tacoma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    those small diameter cheap single ply tires made in China are prone to flats where the large diameter, high tech racing radial real motorcycle tires used on real mega scooters like my Tmax resist flats, and if by accident I do get a flat tire I have enough brains to carry a bottle of slime or a can of fix-a-flat with me

have any of you guys ever look at the load rating of your scooter?
    what happens when the tires can't handle the weight?
    I have seen a lot of overweight fatties riding little scooters
  12. hexnut

hexnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why must you always be a jerk???
  13. Tacoma

Tacoma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nobody here likes me, so why should I be nice?
  14. hexnut

hexnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From how you go on, no body any where likes you.:deal
  15. Tacoma

Tacoma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    as long as the tire is in good shape a can o fix-a-flat will seal any tire
  16. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    If it's in good shape, it shouldn't be flat.
  17. Lotuscat

Lotuscat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My tire was in great shape, but it still went flat. :cry

[​IMG]

Picked up a nail. The dealership refused to patch it, and my online tire vendor of choice is out of my size, so I decided to try Dynaplug.

[​IMG]

It took two plugs, but it's been holding air now for over a week. I'm crossing my fingers and carrying a can of Slime Quick Spair until I can get a new tire.
  18. fullmetalscooter

Oddometer:
    Fix a flat , slmie is a great way to end up pay more cash to repair a flat. It coats the inside of tire and is hell to remove . Makes the glue not set up right. They work but why bother adding to the trouble.
  19. Lotuscat

Lotuscat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm well aware that aerosol tire fixes are cheesy and messy, but it's cheaper than a tow truck. Slime claims their products clean up easily with water. I wouldn't know - I've never used it. What is this "glue" you speak of? I used to mount motorcycle tires back in the day, and I've never heard of using glue. :ear
  20. fullmetalscooter

Oddometer:
    You use rubber cement , glue to put ether a patch on or a some of the stringy things in the whole.