2006 Honda Big Ruckus

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cabanza, Dec 7, 2011.

1. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I have an opportunity to buy a silver 2006 Big Ruckus. Any advice? Pros? Cons? Any info would help. Thanks!
  2. leewildwater

leewildwater rrrrRide Man rrrrRide

Oddometer:
    out riding my two legged horse near Bryson City NC
    Finding those things is not easy. I know I would enjoy one. And scooters ROCK!!

I will be riding thru your area on my beast of burden burgman 400 in Jan. going from San Diego to St Augustine.

Come join me!
  3. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    I am sure Reaper will chime in when he sees this thread. He seems to know a lot about them.
  4. PinkSteel

PinkSteel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Many of us have lust in our hearts for the big Ruckus....
  5. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
  6. redhandmoto

redhandmoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^ what he said.

A JCosta variator and rejet will open it up for amazing top end and true Interstate capability. That said, note that the brakes are really inadequite for that kind of mass at high speed, and great care must be taken.
  7. Warney

Warney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Replace OEM rear shock absorber with YSS,Ohlins,or Bitubo. Makes a huge improvement in ride, handling, and load capacity.
    A Kijima rear rack is awfully nice for extra carrying capacity but has to be ordered from Japan.
    Accessories are discontinued, difficult to source, and expensive.
    It's a Honda and will give good service if maintained and used as intended.
  8. JerseyBiker

JerseyBiker Living the life!

Oddometer:
    I had one for a short period of time. To me it felt like it had a strange ride so I sold it.

Now I wish I'd kept it a while longer and player with it some more. If you can get it at a good price, I'd say buy it and try it. As someone above said - they hold value so if you don't like it, you should be able to get your $ back out of it.

Here's what mine looked like

[​IMG]

Get back to us and let us know what you decided.
  9. Sportsman Matt

Sportsman Matt Xtremely Bad Example

Oddometer:
    being the owner of one, I can say this. I've had mine since 4700 miles, and not close to 11,000 miles with the only things changed being tires, front brake pads, oil, and one oil drain cap that was cracked.

Positive, it's a 250cc Urban Tank of Scooters. It will take and eat up rough roads and most trails easily. Plenty of storage, average 60MPH and holds 3 gallons of gas. Dependable and reliable, if it is running and you can take it for a test ride, go for it. If it's not running, getting them up and running isn't hard at all, just depends on parts and time.

Downfall, top end is around 75MPH, it's not a speed machine like a Ninja or CBR, but can hold it's own out on the road.

Add in there are less than 1500 2006 PS250 Big Ruckus'es in North America, and they do hold their value.

Give you an idea of how much fun they can be:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657432
  10. JerseyBiker

JerseyBiker Living the life!

Oddometer:
    Where?
  11. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:
    I found the Ruckus to be the worst scooter I have ever owned. It is horribly uncomfortable. The single shock rear suspension combined with small tires was a recipe for a compressed spine. There is NO built in storage. There is NO wind protection. And while its utilitarian looks may suggest it is trailworthy, the limited suspension travel, limited ground clearsnce, long wheelbase and limited tire selection preclude it from all but the most improved dirt roads. You might see mid 70's indicated but actual top speed will likely be in the high 60's. That said, it's still a lot of fun.
  12. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I have decided to pass on it. It looked good but I just wasn't 100% on it.
  13. arekay34

arekay34 n00b

Oddometer:
    wow. that's a bit of a maybe for me now.

i'm 6'2/195 pds. & am wondering how different, or if there's any real difference in real performance, with say a rider who's 150 pds. verse a rider on the same BR that's 200 pds. maybe i'm just :stoned

suggested alternatives with those looks? none.:*sip*
  14. SpectreNCSU

SpectreNCSU Himalayan and Big Ruckus ADV Rider

Oddometer:
    Don't be dissuaded so easily. The Big Ruckus is a fantastic adventure touring bike; any of the shortcomings can be easily overcome through OEM or aftermarket solutions. Take my 2005 for example:

[​IMG]

The OEM shock is a bit stiff, got a YSS one and be done with it ($219). Kuryakyn rear bag was $100 off eBay. Memphis Shades Hellcat windshield is fantastic ($130). I was lucky to have OEM legshields come with the bike, but there are aftermarket solutions. I even have side racks installed ($275) that have at least doubled my capacity. It's a perfect backroads touring bike, particularly here in the Midwest, where we have plenty of lightly traveled rural roads.

[​IMG]

I'm 6'2" and 260 lbs, it handles fine for me. A fur seat and beads make the ride perfect, and there are plenty of tire options available for all sort of riding styles. Be sure to check out TotalRuckus.com and look at the topics in the Big Ruckus section. There's a reason why enthusiasts are fiercely loyal to this bike, and with a small amount of adaptation, it can overcome any shortcomings mentioned in this thread.
  15. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought it looked like a lawnmower when I first saw it, but have changed my mind. I would definitely buy one if it was in great condition and the price was not absurd. But you just never see them for sale. Seems like most people who bought new ones kept them. It is a very unique bike, and I wish Honda had given it more of a chance. I realize it was probably not a good seller, but had people been given time to get used to it's looks, it would have probably become one. The 50cc Ruckus was certainly a success, unfortunately mostly among modifiers. The Pacific Coast was once the laughing stock of the motorcycle world, now a lot of people including me want one.
  16. Richy

Richy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just got mine running(it had been sitting for years) and am looking forward to riding it.

Not sure if I'm a scooter guy or not, but I'll know soon.
  17. Warney

Warney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Upjet Carburetor, change to lighter Rollers/Sliders, and replace the OEM Rear Shock with a YSS, Bitubo, or Ohlins, and you will be pleasantly surprised with the results.
  18. arekay34

arekay34 n00b

Oddometer:
    If you look up http://advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=138416 you'll find someone who's a master of the BR250 very helpful as to what changes can be made to make the BR the beast it was really meant to be. :thumbup
  19. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    I like mine but it is my around town errand runner. Did 1300km trip to ride it home, 99% highway. Looks odd but so am I.
  20. kojack

kojack Grenfell Country Farmhouse suite!

Oddometer:
    Suits you perfect Murph. Btw, happy new year

Sent from my totally awesome galaxy note! Over tapatalk2