BMW 450 enduro (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Max Kool, Mar 4, 2007.

1. davesmyth

davesmyth Thrill Seeker

Oddometer:
    Bobby,

You know of anyone in NC who installs Tubliss systems? Cycle Gear sells them, but the corporate guidance is that they aren't allowed to install them due to the number of problems they've had.

Dave
  2. brommer

brommer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Best FIM tyre is the end. comp 3 and 4.

if not for FIM then a AC 10 in the rear but stil a end.comp. in the front

front and rear with bibmouse
  3. Some Dude

Some Dude what attitude problem???

Oddometer:
    I would call Tubliss as I'm sure he might know of a mortar shop able to accomodate you.

I've installed probably 20 of them and had issues with 2-3 even though I knew what I was doing after the first one. They need A LOT of lube and patience, once the Tubliss core is installed on the rim though, it's a piece of cake to change tires in the future.
  4. ScienceOfDirt

ScienceOfDirt U-Boat Rider

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a recommendation for a DOT tire and mousse setup? I'm getting to old to be a pack mule, and I don't go fast enough on the street to overheat them. I was thinking of Michelin T-63, but I can't find the rear. I might try the tubeliss, but I'd probably kill it putting it in.
  5. jack splash

jack splash Two Sheds

Oddometer:
    Hey: So I finished 2 out of 3 ECEA Enduro's I entered on my G450. I'm finally getting to be" one with the machine" and am
    close to getting it "dialed in". One of the important fixes I haven't been able to do is to cut the bars down. It looks like
    there's about 3/4" that can be taken off each side of the bars, but the Brake line gets in the way on the Throttle side.
    Any ideas on how to bend the solid part of the brake line or a replacement would be helpful.
    No matter how I rotate the cable or cylinder, it hits the bars. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

Here's a couple of mods I made.

First, Brush Cables. In tight woods, sometimes you have to go off the trail and this keeps small brush from bending the brake
    pedal and shifter.

[​IMG]

On the Brake side, my boot kept getting hung up or stuck on the skid plate and the case, so I trimmed the Skid plate and
    filed down the brake pedal for easier access. Right now I have the stock skid plate but have a TT one on the way, and will modify the brush guards when i get it.

[​IMG]

ICO Checkmate Enduro Computer, Route Sheet Holder etc.

[​IMG]

Me, after a 2 hour tight section. I found it's better in the low power setting in tight woods.

[​IMG]

My class is B Super Senior, most of the guys in that class run 200 to 300 CC Two Strokes
    so I'm still at a disadvantage weight wise, but I had a great time. I may try a Hare Scrambles
    in May. The club that runs the Green Briar Enduro and Hammer Run is hosting a National May
    7 & 8th. The B SSR class runs with the C riders, so we won't be running with the Pro's:eek1

[​IMG]

Jack
  6. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Jack! Will I see you at Curly Fern?
  7. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    First off, AWESOME!! I'm jealous. Secondly, I just got a new 2010 G450X (rode it home yesterday, will be posting pics soon). I just bought the same handguards as you: Acerbis Rally Pro's. Did you have an trouble fitting them? Do they work/fit well on this bike?

Thanks, and keep riding hard. Your bike and riding looks great!:clap
  8. jack splash

jack splash Two Sheds

Oddometer:
    Hey:That was qiuck. I have been using the Acerbis Rally Guards for years, no mounting issues, and work and look great. You need to get
    and additional mounting kit. I forget which one, but if you need more info I'll look it up.

Notice how scratched up they are from the tight sections.

Thats why I need to cut them down.

[​IMG]

Thanks
    jack
  9. The Griz

Oddometer:
    Sweet. Thanks for the reply. All I have is the mounting kit that came with the guards. If you could point me in the direction of the additional mounting kit that would be great! Thanks!

PS, I was searching around. Is it this?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...bis-Swivel-Mount-for-Rally-II-Handgaurds.aspx
  10. jack splash

jack splash Two Sheds

Oddometer:
    Jason: Are you riding Curly Fern? FYI, Because of State Forest Issues, this years Curly Fern is limited to Firecuts, unimproved and improved roads in the forest. They have some private property , but it's a garbage dump, literally.:eek1 A few years ago Scott ran over a mattress and got a coil spring wrapped around his rear sprocket.

In addition, this years run is about 95 miles, while Green Brier was 65 and Sandy Lane was 75. 95 miles of sandy whooped out firecuts is tough. So maybe I'll be there. I wasn't planning on it, but the 95 miles makes it interesting.:D PM me if your going to enter, and maybe I'll join you. Or come down and preride the PB300 with us. Thats plan A, plan B is the enduro.

Here's a few pics I took some years ago while spectating at Curly Fern.

[​IMG]

Here's Scott right after running over the mattress.

[​IMG]

You can see the mattress by this guys front wheel.

[​IMG]

This was right after the start, you would think the club would have moved it prior to the race.

Jack
  11. jack splash

jack splash Two Sheds

Oddometer:
    Hey: I think it's the Pro Taper/Fat bar kit. Not the swivel.

I'll check tomorrow.

Jack
  12. The Shred

The Shred Airventurer

Oddometer:

3/4" is all your going to get. If you bend the brake line then you'll have to file down the banjo bolt. It's not worth it. I tried finding a master cylinder with a different brake line placement and gave up.

Did the suspension re-valve help? I'm waiting for mine to come back.

Keep the pictures coming!
  13. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    ACtually have both this and the PB on my calendar, Jack. :D 'bout time I came and played in the sand with you guys. PB Preride? ooooo I have the PB entry in my hand, and am on a very late minute with some ECEA guys from up here.
    What are the chances the 2 G450's show up for the same event thats not a rallymoto? :lol

Regarding terrain, I heard it was going to have 30mph averages. Thats pretty open ground from what I gather.

Thats crazy about the dump, but I'll refrain from any New Jersey landfill jokes :D
  14. The Griz

Oddometer:
    So after further observation of your pic, it looks to me that you are running the standard mount kit that came with the Acerbis Rally Pro handguards. I'm confused as to why you'd need to do anything with the handlebar clamps, as that is what the Pro Taper Fat Bar mount kit is.

In your pics, especially the second one below, it looks to me like you mounted the Acerbis Rally Pro handguards using only the supplied mounting hardware that came with the handguards.

:scratch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. jack splash

jack splash Two Sheds

Oddometer:
    Hey: I don't remember exactly what I bought. I have a bag of left over parts from installing the acerbis rally guards on my G650 and G450. I think the standard mounting kit is for non taper bars and I ordered the Pro Taper mounting kit. I take a look and see what's what.

Jack
  16. The Griz

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks!:D

Looking at all your pics and A/B'ing them with the mounting hardware that came with my Rally Pros, they look the same.
  17. nvcyclist

nvcyclist Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The part number for the replacement plastic "anti-scuffing" is 46631451278.
  18. The Griz

Oddometer:
    Rode it home Monday afternoon. 40° F. Froze my hands off! :lol3

Well worth it though. Love the bike.

Put race exhaust on. Removed turn signals. Switched out rear tail light for small LED tail light. Put license plate on. Bent horn mount back so it won't get ripped off as easily. Installed Acerbis Rally Pro X-Strong handgaurds. Hmmm... what else??....

I used adhesive-back 3M Dual Lock Velcro to adhere the license plate to the rear fender. Shit holds like a Mf'er!!
    [​IMG]

Used zip-ties as a back-up though so I don't lose the plate!

It's a proper enduro now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS, the Acerbis Rally Pro handguards went on unbelievably perfect. Fit perfect, no snags. I used only the mount kit that came with the guards. Worked great!
  19. itsgunnahurt

itsgunnahurt Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer:
    Still a bloody good looking bike! Get out there and get it dirty!
  20. Some Dude

Some Dude what attitude problem???

Oddometer:
    We loose tags regularly with fender washers and bolts holding them on, trusting velcro and tie wraps to do the job is a recipe for a lost tag.

Without the tie wraps it does look awfully clean tag mount though