Camp chairs small and compact

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by euromotorcycles, Feb 1, 2009.

1. TwoShots

TwoShots Vagabond

Oddometer:
    GCI Quik-E-Seat

Very comfortable. Incredibly strong.
    Eight reviews half way down this page.
    About $35.00

<TABLE class=playlist id=spec_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR class=r1><TD>Weight</TD><TD> 4 pounds</TD></TR><TR class=r0><TD>Material</TD><TD> Polyester </TD></TR><TR class=r1><TD>Construction</TD><TD> Powder-coated steel </TD></TR><TR class=r0><TD>Folded dimensions</TD><TD> 4 x 27 inches</TD></TR><TR class=r1><TD>Unfolded dimensions</TD><TD> 27 x 17 x 17 inches</TD></TR><TR class=r0><TD>Seat height</TD><TD> 16 inches</TD></TR><TR class=r1><TD>Capacity</TD><TD> 300 pounds</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

[​IMG]
  2. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    ...for most folks on this forum.

Why in the world wouldn't I pony up for a chair of proven design and great comfort that will last for decades of use for the price of a tire that will likely have to be replaced in a month or two?

But that's just me.

My Kermit easily fits into my Jesse panniers and assembles in seconds. I had one of the sling chairs and, sure, you can sit in it, provided you're careful to position yourself just right and are willing not to move for hours. Otherwise that framework is digging into your back.

Over 20 years ago on a 14-day kayak trip thru the Grand Canyon I learned that a chair is the ultimate camp luxury. Why would I want to have one that's not comfortable?
  3. Wannabee

Wannabee Survivor of Reality

Oddometer:
  4. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Pretty much sums it up. I'm a cheap fook and even I bought one....I got one cheap though :D
  5. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    As much as it pains me I agree with Kevin on this one.

He is cheap.:D
  6. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    You know me too well my friend....:lol3
  7. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    :nod I borrowed a friends for a long trip back in 2004. I bought one right after he pried it out of my hands a month later. It's worth the price :1drink
  8. jfdirtybiker

jfdirtybiker Roads are to explore

Oddometer:
    I own almost every chair shown in this thread:
    · Two-shots triangle chair – nice back support but hurts the bum after the third day in the saddle and after 3 days I can’t sit in it.
    · Markjens trilite chair - great packing chair but only bring it if you plan on not sitting a lot.
    · Markjens sling for the air mattress – but once you put a hole in your sleeping pad due to the sitting on it in the dirt you will regret it all night long or in my case three night until I was able to get a patch from a store.
    · Walmarts $5 camp chair – all around great value but not a small packing chair.
    · *Kermit – not a fast put together chair but takes a beating, compact and very comfortable especially with the beer holder. My favorite ever since I sat on one.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    For multi-day overnight adventures especially where there are no benches or camping spots the Kermit chair is always with me on my DRZ400S and my R1200GS. All other times I bring the $5 walmart chair – who’s going to steal that
  9. HORSEMOTO

HORSEMOTO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    comfort And Style. Workmanship Of The Years Gone By----i Am Very Happy With My Red One. Fun Little Chair For Use Anywhere, Hence The Adventure''s Perfect Choice.
  10. TwoShots

TwoShots Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Hey!
    Don't misunderstand my suggestion. The original post was asking about what might be packable for his treks. Hence my posting along with other good ones.

In the end, though, I'd suggest not bringing a chair at all. I never take one on the bike anymore even if I'm camping because:
    • It's just more crap to tote around and little return for the space occupied.
    • After riding all day, I don't find myself wanting to sit down that much when off the bike.
    • If I do want to sit down, 99 of a 100 times there will be picnic table, stump or something else to sit on.
    To each his/her own, but packing a chair makes about as much sense to me as packing a laptop.
  11. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    i love to get drunk in my wallmart chair and dream of the day i get a kermit chair:jkam
  12. wibby

wibby BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer:
    If I were you I'd dream of better things :wink:

Your wallyworld chair is probably 10 times more comfy!
  13. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    i dream of being faster and younger to
  14. bootman

bootman Rider

Oddometer:
  15. MCP

MCP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you got a picture of that chair packed?
  16. cat

cat Long timer

Oddometer:
    :puke1

Learn to sit on your arse without a chair.
  17. munchmeister

munchmeister Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer:
    Answered my own question when I found one of these at my local REI and tried it out in the store. WAAAAAAYYYYYY low. I mean real low. Not much better than sitting on the ground except it does have a back to it which, for me, is the whole reason to carry something other than a seat pad. But this one would certainly be packable but not as small as the Kermit. I think that has done it for me. Kermit it will be. And another feature of the Kermit are the leg extenders for the weak kneed bastids like me who don't want to sit on the ground. Which makes it more expensive, yes, but what the hell, it is my comfort we're talking about here. :lol3
  18. JaySoy

JaySoy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    So has the group found any new options? :evil

I'd like a dual-purpose backpacking and motorcycle camping chair, so light-weight & smaller pack-down size is important.

In the light-weight + comfort arena the Crazy Creek Cradle Lounger (which may be discontinued??) and the Sling-light
    http://www.slinglight.com/instructions.htm
    Seem to be winners - providing very close to a "full chair" experience with weight of only a bit over 1lb, alas they don't pack down all that small...
  20. VStromTom

VStromTom Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is another chair thread near this one. Might look at that as well.