Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Relying on your lights or the color of your clothing to keep you safe instead of putting all your effort into riding defensively and keeping yourself out of harms way is a recipe for disaster, imo.
  2. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know about the higher CG, but yeah, that 530 is a handful. Keeping control of all that power and dealing with the vibrations it causes would wear me out in no time. I can ride the buttery smooth WRR all day and still not be worn out when the sun goes down.
  3. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    My theory on visibility is this..if you don't wear hi-viz or a bright color jacket, highly reflective, white/bright helmet, then visibility isn't your number one priority.. it may be somewhat of a priority but hi-viz in day and highly reflective at night is more visible than two little bulb lights.

I wear hi-viz in warmer temps and a bright yellow Fieldsheer Adventure jacket in colder, I can't find a more reflective jacket than this... if they made a hi-viz version, I'd have it. Reflective ADV sticker on the tail.. I mean that's some bling!

Saying that.. I can't say that having the stock lights would help me if a car was going to smash into me because they were txting or sexting or chasing a lost M&M.. I saw a car smash into the back of big white work van, bam! If that ain't visible, little ole me is getting smashed on my WR.

[​IMG]

It's a combination of all the elements, jacket/helmet,lights, I flash my brake light as well at a busy intersection, just make a habit of it. Black bike, black jacket, black pants, black helmet and my rear tail setup is not the smartest nor with the stock tail. I definitely should add, as Krabill said.. riding defensively.. always a way out...

It's great to see more and more motorcyclist wearing hi-viz, on my commute I even saw a couple harley riders with hi-viz.. ok, it was their hi-viz construction tshirt, but hey, they could of put their black leather jacket over it :D
  4. BigFeet

BigFeet Banned

Oddometer:
    (re: done with mods other than maybe suspension)
    +1 :freaky

BigFeet
    aka, Artoo
  5. BigFeet

BigFeet Banned

Oddometer:
    KG,

Each to their own as you say. I stayed with the stock rear fender, taillight and signals for similar reasons... but I went ahead and modded it similar to some other inmates and got rid of the monstrosity triple step while keeping the bigger lights. I extended the license tag down using a Texas tag holder and no mud up the back of the coat. It was mostly for looks but got rid of a little weight.

The signals can still be knocked off easily in a crash, but twice I've been able to just stick the left rear signal back in it's rubber mount. It's scratched up, but whattreyagonnado? Replace it 'cause it's scratched?? I don't think so. :lol3 Back to seriously: I don't want to provide some idiot with what is known as "a viable defense" by reducing factory lighting/spacing. Don't care if others do; it's just not for me. Been under the front bumper before and next time they don't get a pass. Not that lighting contributed to that one. Just sayin'. This is to address some of the vast separation between what is relevant in civil law versus under the traffic code or worse yet criminal law.

Anyway, yeah I worry about visibility too. Thinking about one of those brake light pulsing units..

Already have lots of Hi Viz on riding gear... added a big KLR/bmw roundel reflective sticker to the bottom of the oversized foot I put on the kick stand... will probably add a couple of other reflective stickers. Maybe a leftover KLR Zombie Survival Vehicle sticker. Doing what I can to increase visibility in every area but tryin' not to get gaudy about it. Well, I guess the Zombie sticker is pretty much the limit for "gaudy"! :lol3 Lights may help, but stupid is forever. I don't delude myself into believing more lighting will prevent an accident. I can hope, though.

Where I ride the highway mostly (Hwy 160) ya' can be doin 15 over the speed limit actual and even then it's typical for some asshole to be tailgating 10 feet off the back fender. If ya' pull over, then ya' break their windshield with gravel and they are really pissed. Works for me. But ya' can't tilt at every windmill. Not when there are this many. Not that lighting will change this; but serious accidents are far more likely here than most places I've lived and those pretty much cover the nation. Preparedness here for me for the same reason I carry other safety gear - to make the best of a bad situation if it happens. Same reason I carry big UIM limits: Most here are uninsured; those who even try to appear to care are underinsured.

Been reading that a lot of the aftermarket taillights are failing, too. Not to say the stocker won't fail after some more beating.

BigFeet
    aka, Artoo
  6. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    So have there been any installs of the IMS tank that don't have that awkward space where the seat and tank meet? I've gone through the thread (sporatically as the searching doesn't really work well) but failed find any good photos. There are no photos that look good in the IMS thread at all. I was on the pre order list but as I saw photos come in I got turned off. It looks like it just doesn't fit. If you know who posted any photos of a good install please post a link or the inmate's name. Thanks.
  7. BigFeet

BigFeet Banned

Oddometer:
    I received a 3.1 IMS tank that absolutely would not fit stock. :baldy I posted up mods earlier of how I made it fit under my former Artoo ID and posted pics.

With the extra fight I put into it, I thought I got a really good and factory like fit. But you've probably already seen those photos earlier in this thread so apparently you disagree. 'Salright.

It was an SOB, but I like the final result.

While fighting it on and off 4 dozen times, I ended up scratching the upper visible area. Not that it should matter, but it pissed me off 'cause I wasn't sufficiently careful. So maybe being too picky because of the former autobody background, I started sanding at 600# up to 2000#. Then used guitar sanding pads in steps up to 10000#. 'Course if you've worked with those before, you know that 10k is kind of a joke. But they are finer than automotive grades. A lot of work, but the scratches are gone and I've gotten a couple of compliments on the tank. A friend couldn't believe it wasn't the stocker. So I showed him the stocker; it's satin black, not sanded and polished.

Now I can scratch it all up again righteously with a tank bag. :lol3

I had to do the o-ring upgrade, but no biggie because by that time the tank mostly fit. And I was by then an old pro at floppin' the tank off of there! :rofl

Refusal to fit like mine appears to be an anomaly. :huh I haven't seen anyone else say if flat assed wouldn't fit. I have seen some bad gaps that really concerned me, but with the mods I listed my tank fit up what I think is really nice. And I'm pretty picky because of my background. :eek1

BigFeet
    aka, Artoo
  8. KTMmer950

KTMmer950 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. BigFeet

BigFeet Banned

Oddometer:
    Here's a link to pics of my final fitup. Mods pics are a few pages earlier under Artoo ID.

BigFeet/Artoo

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329337&page=1155
  10. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
    The KotW ride made me realize I should probably throw some wider footpegs for the WR250R (my feet were a bit sore on the stock/skinny pegs).......what are your favorites?
  11. mxbundy

mxbundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://www.bikebandit.com/moose-stainless-steel-footpegs I like these......:1drink
  12. BigFeet

BigFeet Banned

Oddometer:
    If I still had my pig, it wouldn't be used at all. That's because the WRR/WRX (the subject of this thread) is a super nimble and fun bike. Not pigly to ride at all.

Many, many others in this thread say they sold their various pigs because those bikes became unused after buying the WR.

I doubt this thread can be hijacked to the Super Tenere thread. Curious to see. :lurk

Whereas the WR's have fast gained a cult following, I think when the Tenere becomes a reality instead of an Europe only dream, it will be a flash in the pan. Just another obese bike that collects mostly dust.

Been seeing an assumption that ALL motorcyclists MUST surely have more than one bike. It's required. I've only owned 13 bikes admittedly, but never more than one at a time. That's now more enjoyable than ever - and totally doable - due to the WRR/WRX! That's a great thing; it's what this thread celebrates.

I imagine many different bikes; V-strom; Tenere; any big street bike. I have plenty of space for it. But I know it would just be collecting dust and fast losing value in my garage. I've learned that I'd rather be in a car than on a heavyweight bike. HERESY! Whatever.

What about buying a Tenere after a year for $6k instead of 12+ new? Still not interested. To those who are, more power to ya. I provided the above title as a suggested new thread... :lol3

Others have tried reeeeeally hard to kill this thread by various means through the thousands of posts and they failed. Suspect the Tenere hijacks will fail, too. Probably just highlights where the interest is... and IS NOT. A bike that's NOT big, fat, top heavy (yes, I know what "they say" and BS), overpriced, etc.

Bring the heat. :amazon

BigFeet
    aka, Artoo
  13. BigFeet

BigFeet Banned

Oddometer:
  14. mxbundy

mxbundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have these on all my bikes. In fact, the same foundry that makes these, makes them for me for my vintage mx business.

bundy
  15. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    I hadn't seen those photos. I saw the thread where you were still working on it but I never did see the finished product. It looks good. That is THE FIRST one I saw that did though and you are a panel beater by former profession. I am certain I couldn't duplicate your efforts without throwing the tank away out of frustration first.

Anyone install the tank with final results that look "OEM" using the instructions that come with the tank? BTW Artoo, What kind of gas cap do you have. All the other ones I've seen have a vent hose going through the hole in the head tube that my bike doesn't have because I've attached a Damper.

16. KTMmer950

KTMmer950 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

My seat fits pretty good and I found that if you push the seat foward once it is hooked on the front post it will close the gap pretty well. It didn't at first but after doing it a few times it worked good.

Attached Files:

17. BigFeet

BigFeet Banned

Oddometer:
    Casting also? Well then I won't criticize my DRC's for being castings. I was expecting a weldment.

-feet
  18. BigFeet

BigFeet Banned

Oddometer:
    Good tip! I'll try it, too.

-foots
  19. BigFeet

BigFeet Banned

Oddometer:
    Glaring shine on yer plastics. What polish do you use?

BigFeet
    r-II
  20. mxbundy

mxbundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes castings, most aftermarket pegs are castings. (as are most stock pegs)
    They are indestructible as far as I am concerned!

Bundy