The 1200 Tiger Explorer Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by dutchie, Sep 17, 2010.

?

Explorer or Explorer/XC

1. Explorer

2. Explorer/xc

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. creggur

creggur There are no curves here.

Oddometer:
    Jacksonville, Fl. aka Flatandstraightsandistan...
    Doesn't hurt...
  2. objectuser

objectuser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are the mounts integrated? I'm wondering about the ability to add different luggage racks, for Givi luggage, for example.

I guess there's a good reason for the high muffler, but it's a bit unfortunate to have the asymmetric side bags. I'd prefer standard Givi mounts. I've never had a Tiger so I don't know if this is a real issue or not.

All bikes have compromises, and so far, I think this one has done well in that department, for me at least. :norton
  3. Two Plugs

Two Plugs Born to be blunt Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are-; and have been more bikes with an single high muffler - f.e. the XRV750 Africa Twin. It was never an issue; all the after marked stuff (Hebco & Becker, Givi, Touratech, etc) was- and is still available for this bike.
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    looks like there is a top mount bar for the oem bags (bags have hooks that sit in the notches in the bar) and this bar is held in place w/ 2 bolts to the bike. i suspect once this bar is removed you have 2 upper bolt points to attach a rack. the 3rd is forward to a rear peg and such and there is a rear wrap around support bar. all the mfg will have something asap.
  5. bingbong

bingbong Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. Ze_zaskar

Ze_zaskar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really nice brochure, full of technical relevant info, unlike the mainstream marketing minded BMW's or the simply dumb Yamaha's. Still don't agree with the tank shrinking. 25L is such a nice volume, and even fits right between the GS and the GSA, which is quite good for product placement.

Anyway, the Tiger looks like a nicely designed bike, with lots of clever and usefull details. Looks well thought and purpose designed.

Other things I don't like:
    -Cast wheels...
    -The front fairing looks mounted too low, too much "angry bird". I like tall mounted fairings much better, both practically and aesthetically. The old era adv bike (Africa Twin, etc) used them with success, as well as the XT660Z
  7. LIVSTROM

LIVSTROM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK WHAT ARE we talking about in dollars?
  8. Voluhzia

Voluhzia iExplorer

Oddometer:
    $15,699.00 USD + shipping, tax, documents, whatever...
  9. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks.

I got to examine and sit on one at the Long Beach bike show earlier this month and I must say it is very nice. Huge bike, though. That thing is massive! It is a road bike, period. (No knock, just say'n)

The one thing that struck me is the large center hump in the gas tank. The brochure shows a tank bag, but it would seem the hump is so large that any kind of tank bag will not allow you to see the instrument cluster. :deal
  10. Dr. Greg

Dr. Greg Tryin' to get home.. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I sure like the idea of the Hall effect sensors at the twistgrip, instead of the (stupid) throttle cables on the "ride-by-wire" Multistrada (for which idiot Ducati didn't see fit to furnish the software for cruise control).

However, the comments on the sheer size of the Explorer are disconcerting...

--Doc
  11. creggur

Oddometer:
    I'm just looking forward to reading some ride reports and seeing the thing in person. Probably won't get to see one till they hit showrooms :(
  12. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    how tall are you?:ear
  13. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    You need a sculpted bag like the bags connection "city " bag not an issue then
  14. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    Fwiw, MCN (UK) conducted an online poll to find the most anticipated 'adventure' bike of 2012.

The 1200 came first, by some margin: 43% to the XTourer's 14% and BMW Rallye's 13%.
  15. objectuser

objectuser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haven't heard of that bike. I googled but didn't find anything. More info?
  16. Big Daddy D

Big Daddy D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's the white GS with the red frame...

Verstuurd van mijn GT-P7510 met Tapatalk
  17. motosickle2000

motosickle2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

It says in the article that it is an all new engine. If they made the new motor as smooth as the Tiger 800 - that would be an amazing engine. Smooth as glass with 137 horses! They also mounted the alternator behind the engine. The engine should not be much wider than the 800. :clap
  18. creggur

Oddometer:
    2012 - the year of the X12! Can't wait to get my butt in the seat of this thing and see if it lives up to the specs and pics! Though it will be summer before it makes it across the pond, at least I get to live vicariously through the Euro inmates who are going to get their hands on it first.

Come on Triumph throw us a lifeline here with some pricing info for the U.S.!:deal
  19. Bryn1203

Bryn1203 Dances with spaniels

Oddometer:
    my local triumph dealer (total triumph) anticipate a demo X12 being available in mid march - must admit to thinking the 1050 looks better and the xc800 would be more fun ............... what am I like ! :D
  20. creggur

Oddometer:
    Thing is, we won't really know until someone gets to ride the thing... By-the-by - I was all but sold on the 1050 until I saw the press release for the X12 and I was smitten... It's really what I've been hoping for (specs and pics) so time will tell...