World of Tanks

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by OConnor, Jan 29, 2012.

1. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    How do you install a hit zone skin?

I have trouble with the higher tier tanks in the Sherman. I have the camo net and ventilation for it. I bought a little gold to upgrade from my Lee and gave myself a premium account for a day. I had some left over and got some gold rounds for the 75mm, and those did wonders on KV's, B1's and T1's. I can see how they could get addicting.

I picked up a few gold rounds for the Priest too, just for the heavy that gets through and goes after the "unprotected" arty:deal
  2. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mambo Dave,

Thanks for the tips....One of the historical tanks I just loved was the PzIII J....it had a long 50mm gun and was about as far as that tank went in the war. I have one now that is like that and was planning to keep it. I think I will save up for the binoc first then do the camo net....but if I can move the camo net to the Marder and Hetzer I may do that...plan on keeping the marder as well.

Thanks for all the tips....I will likely be on later tonight ~9pm central or so....I will try to look you up.
  3. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    Can ya tell I'm playing and posting?

:D

Like I said earlier, the camo net and binoc are so valuable that moving them to all your tanks and TD's, when you can only afford one set, is well worth it. I have a Marder and a T40 TD on my other account (equal tier TD's), but neither go into battle until the set of binoc / camo is free from battle with the other (or whatever tank I used them on last).

palpalobster, I downloaded a zip file, then just moved each file over to its corresponding tank folder (each skin for each tank is in its own individual folder last I checked).

------

I'm a bit amazed I was able to do this just now without screwing the main folder up like I normally do, but I just installed a Win Ratio mod (that came with Over-Target-Markers!). This, gentlemen, is what any have been waiting for - now you can determine if that Lowe, or Pzk IV, you were either considering teaming up with, or that KV-5 who is barking orders, has a win-ratio that suggests he knows how to win:
    http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/100335-win-ratio-mod/page__view__findpost__p__1535901

Stand by for a screen shot I took from my first game with it - I'll show ya a possible example of what it means. Got a quick motorcycle trip to make first, lol.
  4. MN_Smurf

MN_Smurf Capt_Confusion

Oddometer:
    The camo net can be moved to any tank. I have two, just so I can keep one on my arty at all times. The other gets moved around with the binocs to whatever tank I'm playing.

I'd just like to second what Dave is saying regarding taking some time around Tier 3-4-5 to grind a crew to 100% plus some extra secondary skills. I played 285 battles in my M37 to get that crew to 100% plus 50ish% camo skill before moving them into a Priest. It really makes a huge difference in how effective you can be (in most battles). My M37 ended up with a 58% win rate. After 150 battles in the Priest, they're back to 100% plus up to 74% camo skill and running with a 57% win rate. After you do this, budget the credits into your tank purchases to be able to maintain their skills. Spending that 20K/crewman to retrain them into a new tank means they only lose 10% of their existing skill instead of 20%, assuming you're moving them into a tank of the same type (light, medium, etc). They'll lose a bit more if you're changing class, but it's still worthwhile to spend the credits and avoid the loss.

Yes, I'm seriously considering spending gold to keep my arty crew at 100% when I move them to the M41. I think it makes that much of a difference, especially with a vehicle that isn't completely upgraded.
  5. Mambo Danny

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the support, MN.

TBH, I've found that while arty is killer-fun, usually, with 100% crews, I'm fine with them starting at 80% or so. Arty seems to earn enough good damage XP that the crews train up fast enough.

If nothing else, back when I did have extra gold sitting the one crew member I would boost to 100% was the gunner. I know the debate is that the Commander is the one who boosts all skills, but if the choice is a 80% crew with a 100% gunner, or an 80% crew with a 100% Commander, my choice thus far is the gunner. Hey, I could be way off base with that, so take it for what it's worth.

Anyway, a screenshot of the mod:

[​IMG]

In it I think you'll see that in my first game with the mod there seems to be a direct correlation between win ratios and effectiveness to helping a team. No, kills don't always show the true story - especially not for scouts (note the 71% win ratio for the Pz38na on my team!) or arty - but they do tell a good part of it - especially for tanks you may want to follow as support.

The lowly Pzk IV didn't speak the entire game, but had he written something, or bleeped a message about needing help or whatever, I would have placed high value on trying to help vs. the random idget who can plainly see the other confrontations going on on his map, but calls for Help! immediately, anyway, when he finally sees his first enemy.

The corollary being that if you know someone is weak and one of the few taking a certain route, you may want to follow him or her anyway to help support, or slow, the tide of enemies that would otherwise blow right through your mentally handicapped or drunk teammate.

Likewise, taking out a high-value guy can help your team win in the end, even if they don't recognize what you did or why you did it.

I initially looked at this screen at the beginning,and saw that - Wow - both teams kinda suck. So... who to follow? I did think about the AMX12T, but he is both too fast for me to stay with, and he has an entirely different job as an entirely different type of tank (note: I do not consider AMX 12's and 13's as Scout Tanks - they can be used as such, but they have a different supportive role they are usually more useful at).

I chose to hang back near the spawn and place hits on the eventual cresting enemies, then after a bit move forward to support my east line. Had I seen a go-getter at the top I would have rushed forward with him at the start to create some mayhem.
  6. MN_Smurf

MN_Smurf Capt_Confusion

Oddometer:
    Dave, is that mod showing overall win rate or rate in the tank you're in??
  7. AKjeff

AKjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mambo, I appreciate the advice. The highest crew I have is 75% in my Pz38 Na. I'm nearly always broke, so I've never had the money for the camo net or binocs. If I concentrate on training up a crew instead of buying the next bigger tank I should be able to afford the other items.
  8. Mambo Danny

Oddometer:
    Well, not really. If you're poor in real life and don't want to buy gold, the best you can do from now on is to turn on the check-box for crew training once a tank is elite.

The thing that gets a crew "trained" is damage, or XP, or how-ever you would want to look at it. Thus, even with being eventually able to afford and buy the binocs and the camo net, my 38na crew was not at 100% when I finally gave up on that tank, lol. But you have the exact right idea - train up, learn the tank's plus-sides, get the gear... then move on.

Further example - I'm now sitting on +700k credits on my non-premium second account. I have a Pzk IV, a Marder II, a T40, an AMX12t, a T-28 Soviet (liking it this time around!), a Tet and a T-127. No pressure to move up, a good mix to play with an win with, and now comes the wait.

You heard me - the wait. Wait for what you may ask? Well, I have enjoyable tanks to play already (the Pzk IV's crew just hit 100%, so now time to train extras! ... and make credits!) until a monthly (sometimes twice a month?!) sale comes up with a tanks or TD I want - they are 1/2 off for the specials. Fine, I'll just wait to buy a Wolverine or a KV. When I do buy one on sale, I'll save so much in credits that being broke won't be a continual process.

---------

That mod shows each player's overall Win ratio, not for the individual tank. I have something like 81% wins in a T-127, and 61% wins with an American T20 tank... so obviously I'm slacking in my stats for some others. Like the M7 MT - loved it, fun tank, but couldn't force my team to win with it, so I gave it up - or the weak T34 tier 9 tank... why did I ever try to play it?! 34% win ratio, 'cause I don't have the big gun, and I'm not going to suffer any more with it until it turns premium. I should have just researched and bought it, and let it sit there like I told myself I was going to do.

Like I wrote earlier on, my stats are something I've been trying to come back from killing ever since I began the game and just sucked at understanding it. That's why I created my second account to test theories out on - to a current 57% win ratio I think.

It sorta detracts from the fun to just not play any tank because some are pretty fun, but are not helpful if it's you against four enemies (or other situations) where you basically have to force a win down the throats of your teammates. And it really does feel like you're forcing them to win some games... sometimes they seem to do everything they can to not win.
  9. Hodag

Hodag Native

Oddometer:
    how do we start a clan?
    or do we want to?
  10. SkidMarx

SkidMarx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Adding mods has changed with the last update. There is a post in the Mods section on how it's done, but I kan run through some of it from memory. It's much easier now.
    There is a Res_Mod folder with a 7.1.1 folder in it.
    You just drop your mod files in there with the proper menu structure and the game just picks them up. I'm running a whole bunch of stuff. Crossshair mod, Over Target mod. Hitbox skins, HD minimaps(very nice).
    You can turn things on and off by simply renaming the file or folder(have to restart the game though). I downloaded a bunch of stuff and mix and matched to get it the way I like it.

BTW, I could zip up my Mods file and send it to whoever want's it if it isn't too big.
  11. AKjeff

AKjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Skid, can you explain what you meant when you wrote "with the proper menu structure"? Do the mods come properly structured? I've done some ad-ons in older versions of Flight Sim, will it be that simple?

I would appreciate the zip file if you wouldn't mind, I'll PM you my e-mail.

I'd be up for a clan. Can none paying players join, or only premium accounts?
  12. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd clan up. It's a thiin skinned little bitch of a tank, but I can spot until I die!
  13. SkidMarx

SkidMarx Long timer

Oddometer:
    They usually have the correct structure.
    The files need to have the same path as they would have in the res folder.
    ie, many changes go in res\gui\flash
    So you would add a gui folder in the res_mods\0.7.1.1 folder, and a flash folder in that, and drop the files in there.

The file is to big to email (93MB), so I've uploaded it to google docs and will send you the link via PM.

The zip has the file structure already built.
    Extract it to the 0.7.1.1 folder and you should be good to go.
  14. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    Didn't know there was a thread about WoT...

I've been playing since July 2011, free account plays only.. grind my way up to a tier 8: T-44 & IS-3. I'm about 1/2 way EXP to a T-54.

Currently, I'm having lots of fun playing SPG with SU-26 and German TD Hetzer and StugIII, probably going back to a MarderII since they earn $$ easier.
  15. AKjeff

AKjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a couple of terrible games, followed by a couple of decent ones.
    I categorize them more by how I die (stupidly/quickly vs. valiantly :lol3) than how I play.

The last game I was defending base when a tier 2 medium with 12% left was capping. I couldn't seem to hit him with my gun, but ramming him with my tier 1 light killed him. I nearly laughed myself sick. I died shortly afterwards, but I was the last one to die.
  16. sandgroper

sandgroper Long timer

Oddometer:
    rhino water tank
    [​IMG]
  17. MN_Smurf

MN_Smurf Capt_Confusion

Oddometer:
    Specials for the weekend.....

• 3x experience for first victory of the day
    • 50% off garage slots
    • 50% off M22 Locust (regularly 900 gold)
    Damnit, looks like I'm back in....
  18. SkidMarx

SkidMarx Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you get a Kamikazi medal for that(kill higher tier tank by ramming)
    Did the file work for you?
  19. Hodag

Hodag Native

Oddometer:
    I play for free, and would rather die in a fight then camp out and wait.
    I'm more of the tip of the spear agressive attack type guy....I have 4 kamikaze medals

i love the medium tank wolf packs that swarm heavys and wipe them out.

I have a 6 yo little boy that loves to watch me play, he dislikes KV's as much as me....
    we had to stop at the model shop yeatserday to see what tanks they had. Looks like he'll be getting a M3 Lee testors easy assemble tank model for easter.
  20. SteelJM1

SteelJM1 Former Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer:
    Got back into it last night... And i forgot if free xp can be used to research anything or new vehicles only?