Ferry to Colombia!!!

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Chiriqui Charlie, Apr 10, 2012.

1. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    It sounds like you're preparing a spiel to get people to pay you to do nothing.

It's possible to be simple- no reservations, just show up and buy a ticket.
  2. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Greeks need to make some money someplace and quick, so it seems.
  3. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    Want to run a bet? I say $50 it runs by the end of May.
  4. GastonUSAChile

GastonUSAChile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This thread should be treated to inform people where to get tickets and export their vehicles with all the specifics.
    Panama -Colombia is not like France-England. Yes , for a passenger sure you can walk buy an get in, with all passport and documentation cleared . Something that could be simple and straight forward. At least couple of hours on that process
    However, for vehicles, containers etc.. it is a different matter, there is a strong process in there about police (anti drug search), paperwork , private ports issues and payments for terminal handling, storage, etc..

It was a Ferry in the pass but because of traficking and a serious cow disease plague made the service finish.

All we are trying to find is a clear picture about that Ferry and a transiting service that work and it is available for booking. All I see is the same announcement everywhere in the published world.
    Nope I am not going to buy the tickets for you. This is a free world for everybody to chose and buy their own trip. Ferry tickets are for travel agencies, Cargo is for exporters.
    Somebody offer a $50 bet for the Ferry service in May. Yes, it could happen with passengers but cargo? trucks, containers, bikes and strollers, mmmm! donno.
  5. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mmmmm. No. I can say that not one person from the Colombian government even saw my bike or searched its contents when I entered the country in Turbo. They saw the title and that was it... and even that was only because I actually spent 20 minutes riding around town looking for the customs office. I could've easily just hit the road without any sort of inspection. I wanted to have the right documents though so I spent the extra time and did the leg work. Not exactly a strong or thorough process.
  6. GastonUSAChile

Oddometer:
    Of course, you arrived in a lancha, at a remote place were like any remote border crossing they even invite you for a coffee. The Ferry is not docking in Turbo, but Cartagena and that is another story, like any other main port in the world.
    This is what Cartagena port is about . Booking, one day to do Customs (Dian), then you should delivery the vehicle, In order to do that you must get an appointment with Police inspection. You need an insurance to get into the port, which you get out of the port (???). Then wait hours for the police to arrive and check. If the vessel is not docked and manifested, you cannot get police inspection and you should comeback again. Thast 's another day paying hotel.
    Funny eh! . It is not Turbo by any means

What I was trying to say is, how they are gonna manage all that process for a Ferry with 500 vehicles going to another country at level of bureaucracy and red tape.
    And be aware if you are arriving in Cartagena and you don't have SOAT (insurance) and your tag # happens to be the day that you cannot drive in the streets of Cartagena, you'll be stuck in the port.
    This thing it needs a lot of organization and coordination between both countries. It is clear that over the years they did not made things clear and easy, much less for the next month.

I remember Margarita Island (Vzla.) , long lines of cars and trucks along the street , sitting there overnight waiting for a Ferry for 200 vehicles, it was insane. That was not an international Ferry but national, so no docs or passport involve, no inspections, no police, nothing , just get in an get out. Well, it was a mess a real messy and disorganized service.
  7. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If they really had their shit together both panama and colombia could put customs and immigration offices ON THE BOAT. Take care of all paperwork and inspections enroute. Only in a perfect world I guess.
  8. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gaston is right: it's going to be complicated, and there's no real indication that any of the necessary systems have been set up yet.

Gaston is also wrong: it's not rocket science, and most people posting on this forum have already done it on their own, without benefit of the rumored ferry.

I'll take that bet if it's still offered***. Hell, I already offered (elsewhere) to eat my keyboard if the ferry went into service as promised by the announced date. But I'd want to be clear what I'm betting: the ferry will not be in daily service carrying 1500 passengers, 500 cars (or 400 plus trucks, or whatever number plus shipping containers) by whatever the date was (May 10th?). That was the press release, and I still can't see how it's going to happen that way.

A big boat with a few scattered passengers, a couple of cars and trucks and a lot of scheduling issues (a.k.a. trip cancellations)? I can see that happening. I can even see it being run at a loss for a while in hopes of generating more business down the road. But note what's being said here: three boats each direction per week. That's a lot of capacity on a totally unproven run. Note as well that the stated prices are "introductory discounts," designed to generate interest. If the discount price is US$700 for a motorcycle and passenger (this is conjecture, but there's no hard information to contradict it), what's the base price going to be? $800? $1000? At what price would you rather ride the Stahlratte and have a tour of Kuna Yala while you're at it?

***Bet is payable in universal currency, i.e., beer, and can be collected anywhere within a 100 mile ride of Bellingham, WA.

Mark
  9. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Yes ... or create a "free zone" for Panamanian and Colombian vehicles making back and forth travel easy and routine. All visas would be issued on the spot. Do a simple passport stamp linking vehicle to owner. Issue a 30 day permit ... or whatever. Sure, there are always complications ... but all could be solved if the corruption could be minimized and process streamlined.

The two govts can make it easy ... and make money and provide new business opportunities that add to revenues, or make it corrupt and stupid and stay in the black hole they've been in ... forever. :eek1

Trucks/containers carrying goods could be bonded (pre boarding) and would head to Aduana in either countries port upon arrival to declare goods to be imported or transported onto other countries (still held in bond). Nothing should slow down loading/unloading of the Ferry itself. All importation of vehicles and goods should be ancillary.

One only need look at the EU to see how open borders have increased cross border commerce and tourism. Both Panama and Colombia could enforce work permit issues for non nationals (like Europe does).
    I agree ... they will never get 1500 passenger or 500 cars 3 times a week.
    But the Mexican Ferries get by carrying 1/10 that number and operate 5 or 6 days a week. :deal
  10. C5!

C5! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gaston: of course it is not like a ferry between France and the UK, but it is very similar to the ferries between Spain and Morroco. Big ferries for 300 and more cars + trucks and buses, you have to do passport and import formalities at both ends and it works smoothly.
    As for working for a loss for a certain time, not important if it's a money-laundering operation (I am not saying it is)
  11. GastonUSAChile

Oddometer:
    You have a good point here , I was thinking days ago on the 'money-laundering' type of operation but I didn't want to bring this possible idea on the table.
    Hopefully not, but I have seen many airlines and other endevours very sketchy and ending being a fake laundering stuff.
    I am waiting for next month anyway !
  12. Catours

Catours Guatemala Tourer

Oddometer:
    :clap Money Laundering, if it is>? if it aint>?
    All I want to do is take a bike at the best price I can to Colombia.
    The truth is if I can say this without too many Smiles I have a Trike Goldwing, I also have a bike or two.
    But to fly or sail a Trike from Panama to Colombia could easily come close to a car price, expensive, personally I think I am a lot closer to a bike, but we shall see as I will certainly be heading in that direction just to check it out and see how this new Ferry works.
    We are based in Guatemala, so we are nearly neighbours with South America.
    As for the money Laundering, I hope its a true honest charity caring coorperate enterprise that succeeds.
  13. PorLaTierra

PorLaTierra Por La Tierra

Oddometer:
    It exists! I just went to the office here in Panama City because they dont have a website yet for the ferry. The company is called Aventuras 2000.

The cost: $99 per person plus $94 tax
    $85 per bike plus tax that they havent figured out yet but could be another hundred or two.
    2 50lb bags per person are allowed.

They sail several times a week.

All in all its not that cheap but its way cheaper than some of the other options. The journey takes about 12 hours and you are not allowed to bring food, but they have food available onboard the boat. The taxes are what you have to watch out for, thats where the costs come in.

I just rode here from Bellingham Washington on my F650. If you are interested in my RR its here

Bellingham to Brazil

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770001
  14. Motojournalism

Motojournalism motojournalism.com

Oddometer:
    (*Edit, threads have been merged, cool)

Ah! I'd heard rumours about that!
    That's huge news for overlanders. A good thing, even though it does strip some of the adventure out.
    I say some of the adventure because I can't imagine everything going smoothly. :freaky

Looks like there's a website for Adventuras 2000 - is this the same outfit?
    http://www.aventuras2000.com/
  15. Motojournalism

Motojournalism motojournalism.com

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to quote what you wrote on the end of your ride report here PorLaTierra - this ferry thing's a kind-of a big deal, would be good to keep the info in one place :D

Big thanks for posting this info :thumb

(Maybe the mods want to move this to "Trip Planning?")

16. panamapassage

panamapassage Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Update from member Bph555 on Expedition Portal

Hi everybody,
    We have been in Panama City, Panama for a few weeks, trying to get to Colombia with our landcruiser.
    After hearing the great news about the new ferry, we decided to hang out here and possibly make a reservation.
    We found out, the adventure2000 company would be handling the reservations in Panama. After several calls to them it was obvious that they knew little about requirements for the vehicle to board the boat in Panama or anything about Colombia etc etc....however, they were very quick to point out that we would need a reservation,and would need to make full payment for the vehicle,passengers,and taxes within 48 hours.
    The operator said the ferry would definitely begin service on May 10th.
    We had been hearing from other travelers,who were interested in the ferry as well, about there experiences with Adventure2000.Some had reported about a onward flight reservation requirement out of Panama. Subsequent calls to the reservation office revealed no such requirements, for "in-transit" ticket purchasers.
    Adventure2000, eventually told us that we would need a police inspection (among other requirements) for our vehicle.But...when we arrived at the police inspection office,they all laughed at the prospect of the ferry starting on may 10th. They said "there is no possibility the ferry will begin service on may 10th".
    So...today, my wife and I, decided to go to the ferry office downtown and talk to these people face to face. Keep in mind- my wife is a native Spanish speaker and tends to be quite forward.[​IMG]After much pressure and prodding- It was revealed to us that the vehicle ferry is not going to happen anytime soon! Mostly lies lies lies and more lies.
    They are having problems with the Colombian government,allowing vehicles and passengers on the same vessel etc. etc.

more:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/77422-New-ferry-news!
  17. markharf

Oddometer:
    Can't view the link without signing up and related rigamarole. However, the above report does have the ring of truth--at least, it accurately describes the situation as I'd imagined it, congruent with everything else I've done or seen in that neck of the woods.

Vamos a ver, as they say. But I'm wondering why no one has yet taken my $50 bet. Remember, it's payable in universal currency (beer) anywhere within reach of Bellingham, WA.

Mark
  18. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    Under $200 is a bargain! You would have paid triple that to go by a ferry, and there's a lot higher chance of murder, rape, mutiny, and rape.
  19. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Maybe catch up on the Ferry development here. Read last couple posts from today and yesterday ... Much speculation as the veracity of anything the Ferry company claims:

Whoops .... threads merged from Ride Reports to Latin America!
  20. markharf

Oddometer:
    Did you just deliberately post a link to the very page your link is on? If so, the theological implications alone are staggering. If not, maybe you want to try again.

Mark