Piaggio Beverly 350 - THIS Sounds Exciting!

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Hammerspur, Nov 4, 2011.

1. redhandmoto

redhandmoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I appreciate the spirited repartee', but I'm lost...

So; is the BV350 a great bike, or of just so-so manufacture/quality?

Not that I could afford one. :lol3
  2. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    It's actually too early to tell.
    We just got too much time on our hands.
    :lol3
  3. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I think you are mistaken between built quality and reliability. By looking at a scooter/ motorcycle, you can attest of its built quality: paint, fit and finish, etc...

You mentioned your Kawasaki... Kawasaki will often have a built quality inferior to Honda. Wires not properly tucked in (like on the Versys I had), thin paint... But it doesn't mean the Kawasaki is less reliable.
  4. Phipsd

Phipsd Older but not wiser.

Oddometer:
    You're making me really happy that I have my SYM. The soon to be former Vespa dealer also sold SYM and the owner complained me more than once that once he sold a SYM he never saw it again. That was not the case with the Italian stuff. Mother didn't raise a stupid son, so I was never tempted.

If I was into high maintenance grief and expense I would still be married .
  5. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Based on reports from early adopters on MV, I see it as the best built scooter by Piaggio presently available.

I hope so anyway, the Missus and I each have one on order.
  6. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    The last model to come out always is.
    Especially the day it comes out.
    :wink:
  7. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your unbridled pessimism is unbecoming.

As the owner of more than one Vespa, prior owner of a Piaggio Mp3-400, and a vocal opinionist on Piaggio USA's many missteps I have to say that I don't feel their BV350 has been typical.

That is to say I haven't heard a discouraging word (except from you) from those who actually own them....
  8. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    I never said anything bad about the BV350 other then that it costs
    too much IMO.

It's still too early to tell re: issues.
  9. Dabears

Dabears Long Timer

Oddometer:
    My local Vespa dealer lists BV350 as $5499.

The Vespa GTS300 Super Sport is $6399

Looking up Burgman 400s- the 2013 ABS model is $7899 (I didn't see non abs versions) although 2012 leftovers are mostly on sale for around $1000 less.

Kymco Downtown 300i- $5599.

While I respect individual preferences for different models, I get frustrated when opinions are not based on fact. I realize you don't know US scooter prices, nor which models are/aren't available. That said, dismissing the BV350 based on an opinion that is not fact based is very frustrating. You've alluded to Piaggio and Vespa being unreliable. Fine. You've made statements about poor quality. Also fine, but until you want to back it up with facts about a specific model, then please stop slamming something that a lot of folks are excited about here in the US.

The fact is BV350s are getting a large fan base and are selling well, while the rest of the scooter market seems to be only slowly recovering from the lousy economy. Whether it proves to be a reliable or unreliable scooter will be revealed over time. The folks on Modern Vespa are not indicating technical problems. These are real world owners from mostly the UK and the US. Time will tell.

As to Piaggio parts availability, I think everyone has acknowledeged concerns about Piaggio's commitment to the US and whether parts and service will be a challenge. We'll see.

Incidently, I don't own a BV350. I haven't decided what my next scooter will be, but I like to base decisions on unbiased facts, not comments by folks with a perceived vendetta against a particular brand.
  10. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Back it up with facts?

My job more or less puts me inside every single dealership of every single
    brand around the country at least once a month.

That alone is enough to get a good feel for stuff.
    Living next-door to Italy helps too.

And I've worked at a scooter shop (granted, few ears ago..) for over
    2 years, and seen it all there.

My half-sister owned 3 of them in the past few years, still owns the BV500.
    I know more about Piaggio scooters then my own.

In-between, I've been reviewing scoots and motorcycles for a local
    newspaper, had work published in motorcycle related magazines
    too (local stuff).

Facts?
    Only if I kept a diary, then you'd get facts daily.
    This thread is too specific for that anyways.

Again, have nothing bad to say about the BV350 other then price,
    and I've seen your price (it cost the same as my scoot here too)
    and that I don't fit well on it, it's too cramped for me.

I love the power delivery, handling and that smooth clutch, but given
    their history, I wouldn't jump on the wagon just yet.
  11. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:

Facts are one thing, but when it comes to choosing bikes (and wimminz) logic, facts,
    and objective-thinking usually get left at home.

I have 2 BV350s on order, kinda against my better judgement as a long-time and occasionally
    frustrated Piaggio scooter owner. So either Im crazy, or that BV is something kinda special. The Missus and
    I both test rode it and, well its a sexy and luxurious scooter and has the "X" factor which
    on a human of the opposite sex would be called pheromones.

Cant deny the attraction. Life's too short to try to make only rational decisions when it comes to certain things.
  12. rexwine

rexwine n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, new here.

Just bought a BV 350 (dec 14). Love it, so far.

Previous bikes/All new at the time
    GM 50cc (chinese) (last year, was traded in)
    2003 Derbi Boulevard 150
    1981 Susuki 450S
    1980 Honda 250

I think the mini review earlier in thread was pretty spot on. I've got just over 250km so far.

Just a note, I'm in the states (Florida) but I think the bike doesn't have an option to convert to miles -- it has the handy mode button, and I converted the temp from C to F, but I think the mileage may be internally set. Not absolutely sure on this yet. I'm betting the dealership won't know until they look it up.

I compared the stats to my old 1981 DOHC 450 (long gone) in hp, and it produces 5hp more than that did (i believe that was a sub 14 sec qrt.miler but standard shift). I'm still resisting pushing the break-in period, so haven't really pushed the scooter much so far. Also, not taken it out on I-75 here, though it feels like it will have enough to spare at the 70mph limit. That was also one of the reasons I ended up skipping over smaller scoot options like a 150. Which would be nicely cheaper but just too much of a strain on the engine, and also a snail at highway speeds.

I read about the color turning pink in the sun. Rats. Well, there's plenty of sun here, so I guess I may find out.

I really ride it too much (daily) to keep a cover over it (lazy?), and have no garage.

I'm no expert on 2 wheel rides, but it's hard to imagine that anyone would really be dissapointed with this bike. My thought so far, is no one will suspect how much fun it is to ride. (good for thieves not to know yet) It's kind of subdued IMO. But it's an excellent size as a trade off between power and agility giving much of both.

If you've got a girlfriend/wife she'd probably find she loves the size of this bike and riding it too. And yeah, if you're male there's not a real reason to object, unless you've got some extremes in mind that you would get with more power or size and comfort. I think maybe if you were under 5', maybe the bike would seem too tall. But if your legs aren't too short, it is probably all right. I was on a 250 that was lower than this at the DL course earler in December. Had to requalify for MC license after years expired.

I guess, I'll wait and see on long term experience. Hopefully, there will be no lemon qualities to come.

That's all for now.
  13. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One thing different with the BV 350 launch in the US vs other Piaggio scoots is that only dealerships who send a tech to be trained on the new engine get them. There has been enough grousing from Vespa/Piaggio dealers who are not able to get them for that reason. I see that as a positive sign for Piaggio's commitment to the US market along with the newish warehouse in Dallas and the new training center in So. California.
  14. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Sport City came with the ODO set in Kilimeters but there is a way to change it to miles using the mode button. I don't remember the trick but found it on the Aprilia Scooter Forum, I couldn't find it in the owners manual. I'll bet the BV350 works the same way.
  15. Dabears

Dabears Long Timer

Oddometer:
    From Modern Vespa: http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic100460

"Yes, you can change the odometers from km to mi. Go to the voltage readout using the mode button, then hold the mode button down for a ten count. The mode readout can then be changed to mi. Of course, that doesn't help with the speedometer readout. I have seen others use thin strips of colored vinyl tape on MP3s to accent several mph reference points to make the speedo easier to read. I'm thinking I will try that with my BV."
  16. rexwine

rexwine n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, thanks for change info. I think that Km to mile was left out of the manual, (or at least the English translation part).
  17. iker

iker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    worked as a motorcycle mechanic for 22 years. ( honda, yamaha, bmw, kawa, suzy, and whatever came into the shop.
    started in 1980 after retiring from A.F. after 23 years. about 2002 started riding scooters. could'nt throw leg over cycles
    anymore. arthitis in hips. have owned,ridden and sold at least 25 scooters since. some of the big ones are as follows;
    apirlla alantic 500 - great scot. sold after 2 years and 12000 miles.
    bergman 650 - great scot rode it cross country. had it for 16 months. got to heavy too handle for me. 72 then.
    bergman 400 ,really liked it , a little heavy , kept it 3 years.
    traded 400 for a 2011 vespa 300 super, used 1800 miles. nice scooter, got tired of looks and lack of info, ie trip mileage,
    decent side stand and more.
    got a new kymco people gti 300, trouble at 300 miles - map sensor went south, dealer fixed. i never felt comfly on this scot. gas mileage was 50-55, top speed only 70mph. much less than other owners ( cortez for one) and dealer couldnt or
    wouldnt fix it. no bad engine codes. at 1200 miles - thanks,joe i sold it
    now what, traded way overpriced vespa 300. 0n new 2013 bv350. WOW this is it. just turned 2000 miles gas mileage is
    70-75, cool. speed so far is indicated 150 kms. gps of 90 mph. this at alt of 4300, me at 230. with a cutdown falco full windshield. i removed that butt stop and use a airhawk. i have ridden 250 mile days with this set up. at 78 i am a happy
    camper with this great scooter. there thats my 2 cents worth. see you on the rode, ike

kantuckid likes this.
  18. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm so jazzed at your review Ike. I have a 2006 Vespa GTS 250 which is a great scooter, but I have a BV 350 on order and so does my wife who rides a Vespa GT200.

We'll keep the Vespas, they wont fetch much anyway and we've had some great adventures on them. Sold my dual-sport, and have her dual sport on the market to make room for these. (It's in the flea market on ADV see my sig-line)

Glad to hear your reviews. its seemed like a ground-breaking package since its introduction and I've yet to hear a disparaging word about one. (Well, maybe except for the windshield)

Do keep us posted friend, as will I.
  19. Afro Samurai

Afro Samurai n00b

Oddometer:
    Been living happily with it for 9 months

8000 miles

Absolutely no problems and performance is great

Its a small gem

Added a few things

kappa 42 liter top box
    louder horn
    Full xenon light installation
    Dr pulley rollers (had to do some modification due to dimensions)
    seat modification (removed it, fixed it, enjoying it)
    Spoiler to stop wind noise

Have a topic for the rollers on modernvespa
    Not sure if i wrote the seat modification also

Also write in greek scooter forum

Can't recommend it enough
  20. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    That is great to hear. I would love to see a few seat mod pics.