Ottawa-Inuvik-Tierra Del Fuego

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Super Tenere, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Super Tenere

Super Tenere Voyager

Oddometer:
    Totally stoked to get on the road around the end of June. I will be leaving from Ottawa to Inuvik and then hopefully to Tierra Del Fuego via the Amazon, I guess time will tell if this is a good idea or not.
    Have been preparing for the last 7 months to go on this ride that will take equally as long to do, luckily I don't have any must ride road or time constraints, its going to be more like lets see if I can make it.

I did read many ride reports from inmates here on ADVrider, and I can only hope to bring some of there words of wisdom into practice and follow some of the roads they drove to discover on my own. One particular RR I read from Debbie aka Hewby says it so well Motorcycle riding adds an extra dimension of adventure and freedom. Winding roads through valleys and over mountains, the bike seems to dance beneath me. Passing along the country side or through the forest, the smells become intoxicating. And the Vrrmmm of the engine gives me a sense of power, freedom, excitement and connectedness this struck a cord in me and I thought this is how I feel too. Thank you Debbie for saying it so well I hope I did get it right and you don't mind me steeling that one from you.

This RR will be to document my trip, let my friends and family know where I am and how I'm doing, and then of course let you join in on the fun. During the trip I will also give border crossing updates, budget info, and try to make this as entertaining as I possibly can, I am by no means a writing star and my sense of language is screwed up.

I hope to make use of the ADVriders free camping page mainly because riding and spending a big budget on this trip was not an option. I could have waited a couple more years, but at an age of 62 I feel it's now or maybe never. Its funny how things sometimes come up in life and you wonder why, or have some weird deja vu moment or so, because I do believe in karma and destiny, more on this later. This trip has been on my mind for a long time, and newly inspired by a video that I had accidentally seen from Globebusters, after that video I could not shake the idea of not doing it, it kind of said it all to me, after seeing there smiling faces on that trip, and of course there stories just topped it off, I need to do this.

A little bit about myself, born in the Netherlands and moved to the USA when I was 1 year old, lived in Salt Lake City, for 16 years and then moved back to the Netherlands, got married, had two kids and moved to Canada, did tons of motorcycle riding throughout most of Europe, and now the same in Canada and the USA.

Im very lucky that my lovely wife (Annie) and my two sons (Ray and Bob) support me in going, although this was not so much in the beginning when I told them, but they have warmed up to it, Annie would have loved to have come along as we did throughout most of our travels in Europe, but this is physically not possible for her anymore. I also have a great group of supporters from the Ottawa Canadian Motorcycle Cruisers (CMC), which I like to think of as my extended family, through the years we have done many great rides together with tons of laughs along the way.

During this trip I will try to hook-up with other ADVriders and also visit some of the other CMC chapters throughout Canada and extend a welcoming hand to all for a visit to Ottawa someday,

Next post will be more about my bike and gear, so stay tuned.

[​IMG]

Jeff Luttmer
  2. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are up for a great adventure :clap:clap:clap
    Let me know when you come to Guatemala, our guest room is available most of the time.

Enjoy the road and ride safe !
  3. GHOC

GHOC FNG

Oddometer:
    Hi Jeff,

I am looking forward to reading your RR. I think this will be the first one I've followed involving a Tenere - a bike that I am interested in perhaps owning some day.
  4. vicmitch

vicmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Jeff, good on you for doing it. I'm 52 and have been putting off traveling for so long, till I said, "If not now, when?" You can check my Mexico ride report (in progress) for any usefull info I might have accidentally included.

Mitch
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886176
  5. RobBD

RobBD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in - sounds great.Looking forward to the pics. Family going to meet up with you along the track somewhere?
  6. Oldone

Oldone One day at a time!

Oddometer:
  7. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    I'm in!

Subscribed!

:lurk

Edit: I just looked at the picture- what case are you using? I know its a pelican but what model if you know? I like that its narrow.
  8. BlueByU06

BlueByU06 Ribbon Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm in. :lurk
  9. Super Tenere

Super Tenere Voyager

Oddometer:
    Thanks GuateRider will definitely swing by once in Geatemala, sounds like fun.
  10. Super Tenere

Super Tenere Voyager

Oddometer:
    Thanks for coming along snoofus, hope to make it interesting.

Jeff Luttmer
  11. Super Tenere

Super Tenere Voyager

Oddometer:
    Will need to read your RR Mitch and get back to you on that, sounds interesting. Hope I can make some use of it. Right now scrambling to get everything in order.

Jeff Luttmer
  12. Super Tenere

Super Tenere Voyager

Oddometer:
    Hey Rob there will be plenty of pictures to come and no plans yet for the family.

Jeff Luttmer
  13. Super Tenere

Super Tenere Voyager

Oddometer:
    Hey Gary Looks good and rides even better now with the Mitas E-07 Dakar Tires, these are fantastic.

Jeff Luttmer
  14. Super Tenere

Super Tenere Voyager

Oddometer:

Thanks for subscribing WhicheverAnyWayCan and asking, the case is a Pelican storm iM2600 they have a 60 liter capacity that wont make the bike wider than the handlebars.

Jeff Luttmer
  15. Super Tenere

Super Tenere Voyager

Oddometer:
    Thanks for joining in BlueByU06, hope to make it interesting.

Jeff Luttmer
  16. G-Wing

G-Wing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok Amigo, I'm with you all the way :nod You're my demographic and proof to my girls that other family's say it ok :lol3 You carry the torch and show em how it's done :thumb
  17. GY1616

GY1616 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This RR got my attention (I grew up in the old Nepean, now Ottawa). Looking forward to following your progress... Best of luck, and hopefully we get a nice "leaving Ottawa" photo!
  18. ang

ang Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck Jeff, will be following you. Let er rip!
  19. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    Sounds great!

If you find yourself in the London Ont area tired let me know and I'll get the fire lit. It's a good days ride from Ottawa so maybe your first stop as long as you don't mind the 401 route. Only problem is that you'll have to leave before I get up or else you may never get rid of me! My bikes ready and I'm planning a TDF trip hopefully this fall.

Just an option.

Good luck!
  20. Super Tenere

Super Tenere Voyager

Oddometer:
    Hey G-Wing don't let no get in the way, plan and then do it.
    Great to have you along for the ride.

Jeff