convince me to buy a wee-strom

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by shadowtrekkor, Dec 29, 2012.

1. 10/10ths

10/10ths Road Trip Fool Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    V-Strom@TexasBorder by Shooter158, on Flickr

And you can go off-road, and you can leave squids on Gixxers BEHIND in the twisties, and you can carry huge amounts of luggage and a fat chick at the same time, and because they get 50 mpg and go 220 miles between fuel stops, and because you can ride for 12 hours and be fresh as a daisy when you arrive,and because THEY DO NOT BREAK...EVER!

:deal
  2. bumper1871

bumper1871 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very reliable and not expensive. Gravel roads, bumpy roads or expressways. I really like mine.:clap
  3. Mazaev

Mazaev Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a used one with 27k, beat the shit out of it, took it to Central America, crashed it, drowned it, picked up hitchhikers and not only did it get me home, but went right back to CA with its new owner. Only things replaced were tires, oil and plugs (and mirrors :-) ). And the girlie hated me for selling it (big mistake putting her on a comfy first bike).

It's a bit low on power when you want to go all out, and the brakes do suck. The fork brace is ESSENTIAL! It's also a bit boring, but that may be a good thing with the wife on the back. Super practical city bike, and handles the dirt when needed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. aussie ttoad

aussie ttoad T.T.O.A.D

Oddometer:
    Same! I too came from a ZX6R, and agree with what you said. The Wee is a great all round bike. Have done everything with mine and it has not let me down once. Very easy bike to own :D
  5. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:

Bullshit, motorcycle magazines will make you believe that anything less than a busa is hardly enough power. Head over to the scooter forum and tell them 60hp is marginal. People tour the world on scooters with 20hp and love it.

I tour on my dl650. That's me at 280, my wife at 130, and all our camping gear. I have no issues passing anyone at anytime on the freeway. This is why motorcycles have gears.
  6. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:

Agree with that. Another thing is that for example, the NC700X has about 50 crank hp, the XL700V has about 60, and Versys and DL650 close to 70 hp. Older Transalps had about 50-55. Two-up on the motorway with heavy load, that difference means something. Also modern FI systems can make an engine feel a lot less exhausted, than you would think just looking at the spec sheet.

And those are all twins. 650 thumpers would range from 35 to about 50hp.
  7. Captn Spock

Captn Spock Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agree with this comment 100%. wee strom has enough power to do 2 up touring with luggage. Countless people have done it..
  8. fastnlight

fastnlight Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    On my 2005 model, the wife and I (350lbs) plus camping gear did numerous trips through mountainous country and had no problems blasting right along ahead of traffic. The wife would fall asleep on it she was so comfy. If 2up riding with luggage was why I purchased the bike, I would consider going larger on the motor but that is only becuase I like speeding. I bought a few bikes and scooters since that one but now I just bought a 2012 model so I clearly have no doubts of its capabillty.
  9. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I looked at a new model in a parking lot the other day and I have to say that its a good looking bike. Tons better than a few years back. Really stylish. Never ridden one have have always heard that they are super dependable. If I was just getting back into riding after a decade or so, or getting my first bike, this would be at the top of my list.
  10. bleedgrn

bleedgrn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been looking to buy a motor bike since this last fall and finally pulled the trigger on a new 2012 wee. Have not personally rode a wee strom before but a friend of mine has the 650A and loves it. The only drawback on the adventure model to me is the oversized panniers (and excessively wide mounting brackets) making the rear wider than the bars. My friend found this out by rounding a corner and spun the bike out from under him doing significant damage. I am purchasing the 2012 650 standard and plan to put narrower panniers/mounting system on. After all, half of the fun is farkling out your ride with new kit. I have considered many dual sports and really wanted the Triumph 800XC but not enough to spend 13K. I don't know personally, but from all the reading I have done, this bike seems to be the most bang for the buck, thumpers and twins considered.
  11. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is like REALLY good Vanilla Ice Cream. :D
  12. 10/10ths

10/10ths Road Trip Fool Supporter

Oddometer:
    ...Mexican Vanilla...a little kick.
  13. Chef Gareth

Chef Gareth Live 2 Ride

Oddometer:
    I am on my second one now, just traded up to the new model. They are great bikes for touring and can handle more off road than you would expect in the right hands. For the money you cant go past the wee. I have always owned 1200's and even though it would be nice to have some more power somtimes, I have never felt it to be under powered.

Chef
  14. ArmSC

ArmSC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just bought mine two months ago...couldn't be more happy with it. What a great bike...plenty of power for me, super easy to ride, and 50 plus mpg. I even like the way it looks!
  15. bleedgrn

bleedgrn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When a friend started bringing his 12 650A to work I thought the machine looked awesome. It really stuck out in the line of mixed bikes from a wing to a few KLRs. My last bike was a Vulcan 800C cruiser, very different than adv bikes. Passed on buying a KLR mostly for the lower power numbers and highway speed limitations. I plan to commute on this 40 mi to work starting in the spring and hope to log some hours lurking around some old dirt roads. Something I could never have done on my cruiser. To have to re-polish the chrome after Yikes. Everyone I know that has this bike really loves it. Look forward to farkling soon.
  16. bleedgrn

bleedgrn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is good to know. The power factor I was having trouble with, but I realize this is no sport bike and I racked up enough tickets on my last one to make 6 months of payments. The temptation to give a one wheel salute was too much. My riding style has changed and I am also a little older now. It is funny how purchasing a bike feels a bit like meeting a new girl. Your a little nervous about her until you take her for a few rides, then the pressures off and you relax and just enjoy the company.
  17. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:

Exactly how many other bikes of similar cubic capacity out there, that can do solo fun riding *AND* two-up touring really well? Not so many at the moment, I think. Most similarly priced alternatives fall a bit short on the two-up bit at least.​

For fun riding, I´d get rid of the crappy Bridgestone OEM tyres, though, handling improves a lot, when you get some better rubber on its wheels. Beats me, why they still fit those at the factory, as most test rides are taken on them, and they actually make the bike feel worse than it is. Suzuki shoots themselves in the leg by using them.​

I fully agree with the girl part.... :lol3
  18. Captn Spock

Captn Spock Adventurer

Oddometer:
    nothing wrong with oem bridgestone tyres. goes everywhere on the dirt where a strom can and should go.

sporty enough to keep up with super sports bikes in the twisties.

of course tyre selection and perception is so subjective and personal. oh wait what can of worms did i just open...
  19. betitou

betitou Thumperized!

Oddometer:
    :super

For sport twisties my selection goes for Pirelli Scorpion! :D
  20. goodcat8

goodcat8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer: