F800gs...Touring screens? you got one ? Lets us see um!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by HighTechCoonass, Nov 13, 2008.

1. 5thTry

5thTry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I mounted a Laminar Lip on my stock F8 screen like in the pic above, but moved it up a couple of inches which was about as high as I could get it. I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam. The results are mixed.

It did move the direct air flow off my chest and shoulders, it's easier to stay warm riding, and I don't feel like I'm being pushed off the bike at higher speeds. But now there is some buffeting hitting my upper neck and helmet around the ears. Not enough to toss the Lip, but it is there.

I might try moving the Lip down a couple of inches and see if that helps, but since you're taller it might be just right for you. For warm weather and/or off-roading I can pop the Lip off and I'm back with the stock shield.
  2. ABeef

ABeef Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OEM Adventure Windshield (GS)

<!--eof Product Name--><!--bof Product Price block -->$469.99

<!--eof Product Price block --><!--bof free ship icon --><!--eof free ship icon --><!--bof Product description -->Big? Yes! Expensive? Yes! Functional? You bet!

Currently the premier touring screen for F800GS and F650GS Twin, the BMW OEM Touring screen is designed very well. It takes the air blast off of the head and shoulders, works well with the OEM hand guards, and has a brace for superior structural rigidity. Available in clear only. Genuine BMW parts:

The above is from www.F800Depot.com

I installed it last evening and took for a short rip this afternoon. I really like the looks of this windscreen as compared to the more roundish aftermarket options.

I noticed less wind from 5mph all the way to 95mph. The major difference was the almost complete elimination of wind hitting me in the chest and shoulders.:clap I still felt the wind around the helmet, but with a lot less buffetting. I also had no trouble seeing over the new windscreen even though it is approx. 7 inches taller.

The server is not allowing any attachments at this time - will add photos later.
  3. divingbiker

divingbiker True Blue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I purchased the large CalSci which is 19" tall. I'm 5'8 and am able to see over the top of the shield.

CalSci website has sizing info posted. So far, still pleased.
  4. divingbiker

divingbiker True Blue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Last I checked, Aeroflow does not make a shield for the F8GS yet. I agree that they are great working shields. I had one on my 1150GS and was very pleased
  5. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How tall are you and what is your inseam?
  7. ABeef

ABeef Adventurer

Oddometer:
    5' 9" with 29.5" inseam
  8. JakeCWU

JakeCWU The Notorious H.O.G.

Oddometer:
    It's a 650 Twin, but here's Touratech's. It's kinda goofy looking in that "I ride to ride not to meet chicks" sorta way. It reduces the wind pressure alot against my chest, but I have noticed that the wind eddy is right above my head and creates just a bit of a whistle. Other than that, I love it. And I ride plugged so it's not too terrible for me.

G-
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  9. Ron Wardman

Ron Wardman Beemerguy

Oddometer:
    I just mounted the TT screen on my 800GS. So much better than the stock one. I used the TT windscreen spoiler from my 1200GS. No wind what so ever on the helmet. Rode today in cold weather and the visor can be up and no face freeze. I had previously purchased BMW touring screen (now for sale) and bracket. I kept the bracket. It comes about 1/2" away from the new screen. I will use some rubber bumpers to take up the space and this will give the screen even more support.
  10. JakeCWU

JakeCWU The Notorious H.O.G.

Oddometer:

I need to try the spoiler. I rode for a bit longer today and the turbulence around my helmet is really quite annoying. When I stand up into the wind, it gets real quiet, but down in the eddy, it's quite the rumble.

G-

I wear a Shoei X-11 BTW.
  11. huckleberry

huckleberry BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer:
    i am starting to think that the cal sic has the right idea with that hole in it--i played with a windshield on my 750 honda and no matter what shape i made it i coulden't get rid of the turbulance--but i never tried a hole in it--mabe that allows the air to be turbulant behind the rider?
  12. wbrisett

wbrisett hmmm.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Again, can't say how it would work on the F800, but on both my RT and Ulysses, their isn't a turbulence and I do think that has something to do with the hole (which is what Cal Sci claims).

Wayne
  13. Navaho

Navaho Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got a picture?
  14. Navaho

Navaho Long timer

Oddometer:
    At 5'-10" and using the standard seat on the F650 twin, the Touratech touring screen is a little short for me. If I had the low seat or a clamp-on spoiler, it would probably work great.

[​IMG]
  15. 10Cup

10Cup Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just put the C Bailey Euro 18"H X 14" wide on mine and really like it. Air hits me in the helmet now not in the chest.

[​IMG]
  16. LDHunter

LDHunter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a CalSci windshield on my VStrom 1000 and it almost completely removes all wind turbulence and noise. It's nothing short of amazing.:eek1

Here's one for the F800GS and I don't know if it would work as well but when I get my F800GS you can bet I'll try one.:deal

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/F800GSprod.html

$bob$
  17. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    Any test reports on the PowerBronze. I am thinking on buying one of these..They look very good and the price is reasonable.
  18. markymcd

markymcd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have one but I haven't put it on yet. It looks perfect. A few inches higher than the 800screen with the touratech spoiler. It showed up after 3 weeks with an 8" razor cut right down the centre of the screen. I've sent them 4 emails and still no response. Very displeased.

Don't quite know what to do. Anyway, buy at your own risk
  19. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    Bob:
    That "hole" in the CalSci makes me squint every time I see it :huh I know why they do it ... it's just so unusual...... :D

On the website it says:

"[SIZE=+1]Competitive Upgrade: send us an F800GS windshield from a competitor, and we'll credit you $60."

I wonder if you can send them your "stock" shield?

Jim
    [/SIZE]
  20. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    I still haven't had one that has blown my skirt up so I put a Laminar Lip on mine and took it out for a chilly ride, it works, and I could hear my tunes (barefoot headset from a zumo, no amp and a flip up helmet) at over a buck on the slab. It's small and detachable, but works like a champ.

I think it's going to be a keeper, at least until I see something that I really like.