Would you ever bring a GUITAR on a long trip?!

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by 1offmotorsports, Jan 16, 2012.

1. ShadyRascal

ShadyRascal Master of None

Oddometer:
  2. Nadgett

Nadgett Obnoxious, dimwitted blowhard

Oddometer:
    Next month I'm renting a motorcycle while I'm in Tenerife. I'm planning to take my Yamaha Silent Guitar. It folds up quite small:

[​IMG]
  3. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Broke it/Bought it Supporter

Oddometer:
    Priorities... :deal
  4. motorider482

motorider482 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A full sized guitar would not be ideal to bring on any kind of trip much less a motorcycle trip but a small foldable one would be awesome. Where do you find those anyway?
  5. BeauBrown

BeauBrown n00b

Oddometer:
    +1 Nadgett's silent guitar. they sound pretty sweet and the "body" comes apart to pack fairly small
  6. Thanantos

Thanantos Ride hard.

Oddometer:
    Other than a fun, "Let's see your guitar on a bike" thread I don't see the point.

Don't bring your Les Paul, but you can buy a decent dreadnought for less than $100. That's plenty to get you through a camp fire night, and with some pickups you can even survive a gig. All for less money than one would worry about (too greatly) getting trashed in a crash. Although bulky, guitars weigh virtually nothing, so on a motorcycle that is not an issue.

That being said...let the "Show your guitar on a bike" thread continue.
  7. NZLADY650

NZLADY650 beamerbarb

Oddometer:
    I used to play the guitar but converted to the ukelele because of travelling - small and compact and with a bit of bubble wrap then put in the soft case it worked well on the motorcycle.:clap
  8. jazzer

jazzer Lost again... Yeah!

Oddometer:
  9. KYMike

KYMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ran into this guy last summer in the UP. Didn't get to talk to him though. I assumed that was a guitar.

[​IMG]
  10. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Digging up an old thread, but...

I'm heading out for a long weekend trip soon to hang with some buddies. :1drink

I'd like to take my guitar (electric) and a mini-amp with me. The guitar would be in a Gator hard case, which is 42" long. I was thinking that I'd strap it across the rear rack, but thought that might make me a bit wide, and may also mess with the aerodynamics of the bike. Now I'm thinking I can strap it down lengthwise (front to back) from the passenger seat and let it hang off the back about a foot or so like in the pic above. I can strap my tail bag and the mini-amp down on top of the case, and the rest of my stuff for the weekend should fit OK in the Monarch saddlebags. The case is not water-tight (go figure, with a name like 'Gator'), but for the weekend, that's nothing some heavy duty 'contractor' trash bags and duct tape can't fix. ;)

Anyone see any problem with this setup? Do I need to fly an orange flag off the back of the case? :wink:

Eventually, I'd love to get one of the Traveler guitars (Speedster), and maybe a Pelican 1700 case for it (36" long), but right now the funds are a bit tight.
  11. Thanantos

Thanantos Ride hard.

Oddometer:
    Not one that was worth more than $50
  12. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was that an answer to my question about needing a flag, because that's the only thing it seems to fit?
  13. jazzer

Oddometer:
    Speedster on the back :norton.

[​IMG]

I might know a guy with a music store that would give you the fellow inmate deal on one if you want. :wink:
  14. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that it on top in the soft case? That's pretty small!

I may take you up on that offer sometime, maybe in the spring. After this trip at the end of the month, I won't be traveling much and won't really need it for a while... I did play around with one at GC a couple of weeks ago, and it sounded pretty good (this model had the Humbucker pickups, which I love)!
  15. jazzer

Oddometer:
    It's on top of the yellow bag. I had fully expected to be detained going into Canada , but the border guy asked me what was in the case and when I said it was a travel guitar he just said "nice".
  16. stucknarut

stucknarut Uh oh...

Oddometer:
    I've carried a uke, never a guitar. Came down to sound quality, price, and size. The Martin backpacker is pretty underwhelming, and the really good travel guitars are pricey. A decent uke didn't break the budget, and you can restring the high G to a low G if you want more of a guitar sound for finger picking. Played like a guitar with a capo on 5th fret. Plus kids and women think they're cool. And you can do this with one (well, not right away): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw6YL_l2YxA
  17. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's how I did it.

Two strings, no frets.

[​IMG]

Disassembled

[​IMG]

The neck rode back here. The body fit in the topbox since it was flat and didnt take up much space.

[​IMG]

Demo tape :evil

[​IMG]
  18. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I did end up taking my electric guitar in its hard case with me this past weekend. 300mi each way and I barely knew it was back there...
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4
  19. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't bring one; but that's because I can't play one.
  20. LowInSlo

LowInSlo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice! Man, that's a lotta overhang. I've been having the same thing rattle in my head as well. I hate not having a guitar with me.