The Meandering Geezer in Idaho

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Metalcarver, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice pics! I was in IF 2 weeks ago, most of the same roads except gray and wet. I stopped and said hi to some 9xx riders from N. UT saw a few others. I need to go back and check out those bright blue skies!
  2. mung

mung Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday had 8 inches of snow on the Idaho-Montana line.South of Burley is fantastic riding . The only problem is that Las Vegas gets in the way eventually.
  3. MKorn

MKorn 2whl Addict

Oddometer:
    Amazing scenery, thank you for sharing.
  4. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker

Oddometer:
    Kinda looked like nice places but sometimes google earth makes it look nicer than it really is. Stuck in Zion for a week but if we have some Indian Summer might try to cross the Arco desert to Burley, south across the mountains to city of rocks and more mountains to Pokey. Think I'll save Nevada for next year. I hear that the Middle of Nowhere is somewhere around there... sounds kinda nice after dicing with idjits in cages on Utah freeways.
  5. PapaYolk

PapaYolk happy camper

Oddometer:
    Good stuff and some great pics. Thanks for sharing.
  6. ridgerunnerinla

ridgerunnerinla Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great R&R, a friend and I will be up in your GREAT STATE next year. First of Sep. for 2 weeks of riding. As of now we will be looking at Lolo pass and Darby to Dixe ID for one ride and will do Lolo motor way. and open to anything around Challis Id. We will be pulling klrs650 or drz400 we want to do as much dirt as we can.
  7. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    I eventually want to go over Lolo (paved) but not before the Magruder Corridor (dirt). Lots of RR's on this site. You can peel off the Magruder, cross the Salmon R. near Panther Creek and head south into dirt bike wonderland. You might bump into Las Vegas though.
  8. FloorPoor

FloorPoor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The mountains south of Burley is a pretty good place to roam. City of Rocks is a cool place too. Another good road leaves out of Oakley ID, goes through a corner of UT, and deposits you on the highway a few miles north of Wells NV. Or you can take a cutoff and head out to Jackpot instead. Goose creek, I think it's called. Most of the forest roads down that way are Wee friendly as well (when they're dry)

The weather here and my impending work change probably means my riding season (here) is about done :cry I'll probably spending the next several months working in Phoenix though, and am going to try to get the old KLR down there with me. That should keep me out of the bars on the nights and weekends.:clap
  9. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Yeah, well, you're still gonna get shot when you sail by all those beemers like they were standing still and then they step off to see what's wrong with their bikes.:huh
    :lol3
  10. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    A lull between storms. Had to get out. About 50 miles of dirt east of Idaho Falls. Tex Creek Wildlife Management Area and the aspens are starting to light up.

Map Here

Farm land east of IF

[​IMG]

Down into Tex Creek

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bottom of Tex Creek canyon.

[​IMG]

And out the other side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a side road up Indian Creek for fall colors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And chickened out when it got yukky. :puke1

[​IMG]

And back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    tex creek 12 by metalcarver, on Flickr
    Phipsd likes this.
  11. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I was up there a couple of weeks ago (in the rain) and stopped here also, there was as much or more mud than in the picture. I never looked at the map, but any idea what the rest of the road/trail is like?

Nice pics, I guess fall is rapidly approaching.
  12. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Well, Benchmark shows it as "other road - unclassified" and it turns into a trail. I walked down it a way and looked mostly like a 4 wheeler track. Probably doable but not solo on a wee. There are probably little beings in the puddles that like to grab tires...
  13. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    So why post reports here anyway. I dunno. My brother has ridden a lot more than me and he never posts. I guess it happens after that morning you get up and the image staring back at you in the mirror scares the shit out of you. And then you look around and all of your friends are either dead, in jail, or got rich and won't talk to you. Maybe it's like scratching pictures of aurochs on a rock wall. Bragging, or maybe hoping some archaeologist in some distant time will discover it and realize that you were there. Like Kilroy. Then I think about the reports that really trip my trigger. Scooters in the Himalayas. A guy on a tiny motorcycle in the wilds of Iran. A girl riding alone in Western China. A half stove-in Vet riding a 600pound bike in places that big dually bikes brag about - and dragging a trailer to boot. Or maybe it's that "Last Great Act of Defiance"
    Dunno. I keep doing it.

[​IMG]
    Phipsd, ExplorerFrog, KHVol and 2 others like this.
  14. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Phipsd likes this.
  15. Gramp-Z

Gramp-Z Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    metalcarver , nice pics ! Looks like some fine riding over there . As another metalcarver that rides a Wee and carries a .41 I can appreciate the not wanting to take on questionable roads / trails by yourself . Not quite retired , but closing in on it (finally) . I ride my Wee mostly on pavement , but have had it a few places I hadn't planned on . I am running Anakee2s and have had good luck with them so far . After my last ride with a group of Ural 2 wheel drive side hacks I started to smell oil . I guess the bike and rider weight was enough to hit the skid plate hard enough to put a hairline crack in the case . A little 2 part epoxy and a re engineered skid plate and good as new . Didn't ride as much as I hoped this summer , but will work on it next summer . I want to pick up a DR 200 for a short old fart's "trail" bike . I don't want to have to try and right my Wee too many times . Thanks for the view of your area .
  16. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Lessee, if we get rid of the .41's and get ourselves a couple of Desert Eagles, well hell, we could ride anything!
  17. GoneBallistic

GoneBallistic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I LOVE your trip reports. I grew up on west side, right near reed's dairy. My folks still live there. my wife grew up in Ucon, and now live on the Ashton hill just after you cross the river and head up the hill.

I have seen/been in many of these places, never on a bike but having just bought a DS, will be. I love seeing the places of my childhood scouting trips, hunting trips and camping trips through other eyes and from the seat of a bike.

it's cool, keep it up.

:clap
    Phipsd likes this.
  18. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Well thank you kindly. And if you're in town or itchin to travel lemme know. I'm not riding solo by choice. BTW I have a lot on Robinson Creek so may be in that neighborhood too.
  19. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    and keep posting ride reports.:D Me likey. Lots of us out here are watching...and learning of new places to go.

Stunning! TTU (two thumbs up)
    [​IMG]
  20. Higher Logic

Higher Logic Delightfully Altered

Oddometer:
    I greatly appreciate your RR's ! :clap

I never knew that part of Idaho had such great autumn color.

Dont doubt how many "meandering geezers" who ride mostly solo, enjoy seeing your area.

There's much to be said for nice double track gravel and such. Many of us beat the crap outta our bodies decades ago on the gnarley single track.....( with less than half of what todays suspension is), and are entirely content with adventure thats pleasant rideing on actual non paved roads ! :wink:
    pratered likes this.