Converted to dual-sport? POST PICS!!

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Sinistersculler, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    I know I have my own thread and all but this thread is one I always watch . . . and use for inspiration.

CB400/4 :evil

[​IMG]
    DuaKembara and Squily like this.
  2. Manaen

Manaen n00b

Oddometer:
    This thread is inspiring (for the most part :evil) for over a year I have been thinking about a project like this.
    Here is my GS500e Adventure Project that I am currently working on
    Here is a picture of it half way done
    [​IMG]
  3. Kevan Garrett

Kevan Garrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pardon my French but that is Friggin' Awesome. Nice project. Looking forward to reading your thread.

Cheers

Kevan

4. tobbik

tobbik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is neat. I glance over the other thread. Here is a little idea, which would be way more invasive to the bike:

An SV1000 shock has about 86mm of travel over the 60mm the SV650 shock has; it's also 15-20mm longer(considering where you drilled the hole) which means the tail comes up about 30-40mm higher. That leaves enough room for a Honda fork. Some GSXR shocks have been place into the GS which raise the bike just as much but not giving it that much more suspension. The SV1000 shock should take you from 115 to about 170mm of travel. That's KLR territory. But it's a piggyback shock, So the airbox needs surgery.
  5. Manaen

Manaen n00b

Oddometer:
    Those are all interesting ideas. I am kinda committed to the current setup for now. part of the reason I lowered the rear was twofold. I didn't want the bike to be leaning forward, and in order to go higher in the back I would have to rework the chain path.

Actually the new fork springs are working quite well and balance well with the rear sv shock. Keep in mind I don't want to turn this into a klr or xrl.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
  6. elgato gordo

elgato gordo KTMRFS

Oddometer:
    What year SV1000 shock are you talking about? I'm trying to add a few inches of travel to an SV650.

7. tobbik

tobbik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got my info of an ohlins pdf file and that quotes 2003-06. Those pdfs are kinda hard to find but they are worth gold when you wanna mod things :)
  8. elgato gordo

elgato gordo KTMRFS

Oddometer:
    Could you send a link to the PDF. Can't find it on the Ohlin site. Thanks

9. tobbik

tobbik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    PMed you with email address. I have only the downloaded files.
  10. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    Does anybody know where I can find wheel spacers that are listed by size?

I'm looking for spacers with a bore of 22mm and a 25 mm OD, to get a 22mm alxe to fit into bearings with a 25mm bore. And also spacers center the wheel.
  11. BENRON

BENRON Crosscut Certified

Oddometer:
    Just going to throw THIS out there... :D
  12. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stuff like this is why spending money on a metal lathe is not wasteing money. Get to know someone who is , a. into bikes. b. has a lathe or acsess to one. c. willing to help.
    They'll need all the parts to make things fit.
  13. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    Thanks......,but I knew how buy a lathe.
  14. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    25mmOD X 1.5mm wall stainless steel tube..cames dam close..
  15. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:

I don't know where to buy metric tubing in the US. I will have to look around some.

Btw, my dad owned/operated a metric bolt & nut warehouse for over 30 years. 15,000 sq.ft of fasteners, even had lots of cold rolled precision shafting.....but no tubing. Not a lot of standard fasteners on vehicles anyway...Oh well.
  16. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:

Could you swap out the bearings for some with the proper ID?
  17. BENRON

BENRON Crosscut Certified

Oddometer:
    Ha, I guess.

A quick search at Mcmaster.com will show some bronze flange bushings with an ID of 22mm and an OD of 27mm.

Items 6659K45, 6649k46

About $4/pc.
  18. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    My axle is 22mm, if I change it to a 25mm then the brake caliper mounting hole, which the alxe goes through needs to be enlarged to 25mm too. Then I could use 25mm ID bearings in the wheel and the cush hub. That is probably the simplest solution, because 22mm ID bearings aren't standard with the 62mm OD of the cush hub bearing. But then I'll need to swap the bearings out in my dirt wheels too (I'm doing a motard conversion), if they will fit my dirt hubs.

I really appreciate all the work involved in the detailed conversions I've seen in this thread. Just modifying a set of mag wheel for my dirt bike is enough for my brain...., and my patience! :wink:
  19. Bake

Bake adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe I already posted these; but anyway...

My D/S conversion 1983 FT500 Ascot, in the Collegiate peaks, Colorado, 1985 adventure gem hunting expedition.

Braided steel brake lines, regeared 15/52, RK o-ring chain, Acerbis plastic mirror, Cobra aluminum muffler, Sargent seat, Progressive rear shocks, Progressive front springs and air caps, hand guards, headlight guard, IRC D/S tires 2.75 x 19 front, 5.60 x 18 rear. I spent 6 days riding the high country searching for topaz, garnet, smoky quartz, beryl and epidote crystals, with some success.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Ride_Safe

Ride_Safe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is my 2007 CBR125R,,, or what used to be. It currently has 49,000kms on it, so I decided to do some custom work on it.

First I put a set of Shinko 244 tires on it: 2.50-17 front/3.00-17 rear. I swapped the stock clip-ons for Moose Racing CR low handlebars by drilling into the stock triple, mounting a used set of TRX450 clamps, then some Rox 2" pivoting risers. I also raised the front end up by 1" by lower the forks down the triple clamp. Then I replaced all my cables with 4" extensions, and replaced my front brake line with a stainless steel braided hose. And lastly, I added some PowerMadd universal hand guards.

I call it the CXR 125 dual sport!

(After installing handlebars, grips, switches, levers, cables/brake line)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(TRX450 handlebar clamps, Rox 2" Pivoting risers, and Moose Racing CR low handlebars... I also used some JB weld to fill the rectangular hole left by the Honda emblem.)
    [​IMG]

(Stainless steel brake lines)
    [​IMG]

(PowerMadd Handguards)
    [​IMG]

My next plan is to add a Puig touring windscreen.