950 Supermoto Chronicles

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by wpbarlow, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Just Bob

Just Bob Been There Done That

Oddometer:
    Ditto. I'm a 29" inseam. I've raised the forks about a half inch and that lets me toe tap at a stop. Easy answer...don't stop!:rofl
  2. KHVol

KHVol Long timer

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE=

Another option is to settle for less. The Duke 690 or 690SM are 100 lbs lighter and would be way more manageable at a stop. And the Duke's seat seems way more comfy to me than the 950 SMR- but I can't begin to imagine 3 days of 500 miles in a row at 75 mph on a single.[/QUOTE

Superduke....
  3. omnivore

omnivore SuperSportTourer

Oddometer:
    Superduke's just as tall as the SM isn't it?
  4. KHVol

KHVol Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmm..not as much difference as I thought 1 inch lower than the 900 SMR and only .7 in lower than the 950 SM,
  5. goodcat8

goodcat8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone give me the heads up on the most common go-to spot for add on's and extra's such as tail tidy, colored plastics, frame sliders, and graphics? I've found KTM twins and KTM cycle hut, but the 950SM options seem to be little limited. :huh
    Im curious to see what the carbon bits look like...
    [​IMG]

Appreciate any finger pointing to anyplace.

[​IMG]
  6. ian408

ian408 Administrator Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    ktmtwins.com and ktmcyclehut.com are the two places I shop.
  7. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any shock rebuilder can make a spacer on the lathe which prevents the shock from fully extending. Think of the piston of the shock moving inside the shock cylinder. In effect, this spacer is a hollow cylinder around the shock shaft which a) shortens the suspension travel by x mm and b) lowers the shock length by an equal amount.
    Usually, a 10mm spacer will bring the rear down by 30mm, more or less.
  8. omnivore

Oddometer:
    Would the spring also need to be shortened by a coresponding amount?
  9. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only if there is no available preload space on the threaded top part of the shock.

You can try decreasing your preload by 10mm (measured on the shock, not rear wheel travel), then measure how much the rear axle has moved (with the bike supporting its weight) and drop the yokes by an equal amount (plus 10% or so to account for the caster angle). You will get an idea how much your seat height has been shortened. The beauty of the spacer is that the change is fully reversible. Looking at the SM pic above, it looks as if there is plenty of available preload space.
  10. omnivore

Oddometer:
    I dont like the idea of using preload tension loss as a ride height adjuster. It takes away from your ability to properly set rider sag.

That's why I was aking about a shorter spring. If you made no changes to the spring, but put a spacer inside the shock body, the preload would be increased dramatically on reassembly
  11. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you shorten the shock by adding an internal spacer, your sag can be the same as before, no problems there. You then have to decrease preload in order to not having it increased due to the shorter shock!

I suggested you to decrease preload (before you add the spacer) only to get an idea how much an x amount of shortening the shock will affect ride height, thats all.
  12. Thumper996

Thumper996 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There was a guy on one of the KTM forums that had a bad boy Tidy Tail that relocated the key lock to the side frame rail. I will look around and see if i can find this. It was a guy who made them (Germany) i think and sold them to members. IMHO it is the best looking TT out there. I opted to go a different route.

Munn Racing in TX is hard to beat on price and Customer service
  13. SONG

SONG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you going to sell your black plastics if/when you get carbon plastics? I'm very interested in buying them if you are. Thanks.
  14. SONG

SONG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The stock seat *looks* like it has a lot of padding that can be trimmed down to lower the overall seat height...It looks like you can trim it by a good 1.5-2 inches! ...or is it an illusion? How low do you think it can be by only modifying the stock seat? I'm thinking of something along the lines of the Corbin on my old 625smc. That seat was *MUCH* lower than the stock seat, and comfortable too.

[​IMG]

Does anyone know of any good AND cheap places that will modify the stock seat?

Are the 2007 and 2006 950SM OEM plastics/tank identical? I want to know if 2007 graphics will work with the 2006 model, without having to cut/trim the graphics. Also, do you know of any places that sell after market graphics for the 950SM? ...like Redbull graphics, etc. I searched and haven't found anything promising.

Thanks... :ear
  15. ian408

ian408 Administrator Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The frame slider bits can be had from KTMtwins--they are SuperMoto Engineering parts. Find stuff from SME here as well.
  16. Thumper996

Thumper996 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Found it!

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/supermoto/15763-pretenders-tail-tidy.html

I opted out because at the time the plate mount was only for Euro tags, but on a later batch i believe he built a US tag bracket.
  17. nattyMo

nattyMo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Goodcat,

You can find a host of carbon bits from HFCarbon and Carbon Performance here:
    http://hfcarbon.de/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8_135&sort=20a&page=1

And here:
    http://www.carbon-performance.com/index_eng.php?kat_id=59

As for graphics you may want to check out the KTM Uk forum here:
    http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=92

I'm using most of the parts from HFCarbon. Great quality parts plus they are very good to deal with. Frank is the main contact there, if you Email them he'll likely respond. I was able to converse with him via Skype to sort out my questions very quickly.

Here are a few graphics related posts from the Uk site:
    http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/general-discussion/54612-950-sm-redbull-graphics.html

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/supermoto/49089-good-place-graphics-decals.html

You'll see some pics of my SMR at the bottom of this page, the tread includes some other carbon part sources as well:
    http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/supermoto/50176-carbon-2.html

My carbon mask and Z carbon hand guards came from KTMParts.com

Good luck in your pursuit.

NM

18. goodcat8

goodcat8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really appreciate the aftermaket info guys, thanks much.
    *Song, if I don't keep the stock blacks I'll shoot ya a PM :thumb
  19. SONG

SONG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great, thanks.
  20. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer: