Garmin map for Costa Rica

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America' started by Terry Bugera, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Terry Bugera

Terry Bugera Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a Garmin 176 and was looking at the base map of Costa Rica, it is very basic. I looked at Garmin's web site and they have a more detailed map, but you have to buy the "more" detailed World map just to get the map of CR. To much cost for to little info that I will use. Is there any other way you can get just a more detailed for Costa Rica for my GPS.
  2. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the Worldmap detail for Costa Rica is like the rest of Central America and South America that I have traveled, it is not very good. Very innaccurate and almost bad since you might actually trust what is on there. Seems the most accurate part of the Worldmap are the coastlines; perhaps since Garmin has long marine roots. I know there are likely several folks that would let you evaluate a copy and you could see for yourself.
  3. Terry Bugera

Terry Bugera Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up on the accuracy of the Garmin map. I'll go with the base map on my GPS and buy a paper map. Any suggestions on which maps of CR are the most reliable?
  4. (sp?)

(sp?) flaming ahole ;)

Oddometer:
    find someone with the World Map to load Costa Rica into your memory card. You should note that the Garmin World Map data isn't that detailed.
  5. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
  6. CarbonCat

CarbonCat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just my 0.02 :
    My be to try Touratech maps for Garmin? I have not experience with these maps, but heard good stuff about them. Maybe other members on forum would be able to comment.
  7. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:

And it takes *very* little space in memory. In fact, I can get all of Guatemala, Honduras, Belize, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica (and this also includes a lot ofColumbia and southern Mexico) in only <drum roll please> 1.16MB!

Now that's a cheap memory card! :lol3

Hmmmmmm, mebbe it's so small due to that... what did he say.... oh yeah, lack of detail... :huh
  8. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    As far as Touratech maps... *PLEASE* correct me if I'm wrong, 'cus I'd really like to be, but Garmin units will only take Garmin maps...
  9. DiasDePlaya

DiasDePlaya Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe this company have something: Garmin Venezuela

They are third part developers and have detailed maps in this area.
  10. CarbonCat

CarbonCat Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, then what is that ?
    I thoght it's a substitute for Garmin crap...
  11. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    I read it as a PC based map that will allow you to load waypoints you get from the PC map to your GPS, but you will still see the Garmin map on the GPS.

So, when you are navigating on the bike, you will not see anything but the roads in the Garmin map and any waypoints you downloaded to the GPS. It will not increase the detail of the map you see.

I am not sure how other 3rd party software works, but my understanding, like Steve's, was that only Garmin maps could be loaded.

Gustavo

12. CarbonCat

CarbonCat Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are these four guys who went to Morroco. so somehow, one of them got a sobstitute maps for garmin. I will e-mail him and ask how to get them, and/or is it possible to create them. might be not a bad idea:wink:
  13. (sp?)

(sp?) flaming ahole ;)

Oddometer:
    The Garmin software (MapSource) and devices only recognize a few formats. I've heard that the GDB file format has been hacked and folks have been able to create and load their own maps. I don't know where or how. Perhaps one can find it with a search engine.
  14. BurnieM

BurnieM Long timer

Oddometer:
    GDB and GDBv2 have been hacked but they are not map formats.

GPSmapper is a third party tool that can create Garmin format maps but it is very time intensive.
  15. (sp?)

(sp?) flaming ahole ;)

Oddometer:
  16. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Try the folks at GPSTravelMaps. They don't provide autorouting maps but they do "enhance" the Garmin basemap level data. There maps are very reasonably priced.

By the way, there are many third-party Garmin map developers so search around and you will find something if Garmin doesn't have a [good] offering.

You also don't need MapSource to load maps to your Garmin GPS. There are several "map loader" programs available.
  17. WorldTraveller007

WorldTraveller007 n00b

Oddometer:
    I used a Costa Rica map from GPSTravelMaps.com and STRONGLY recommend against that. On the way from San Jose to Arenal it actually led us in a circle (go figure!) and trying to get to the airport recommended going through downtown San Jose, instead of around it. We ended up asking cab drivers to point us back in the right direction (no, I am not directionally challenged, and navigate in the US without any problems, thanks for asking :-).
  18. GPSTravelMaps.com

GPSTravelMaps.com Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WorldTraveller007 - This is Michael from GPSTravelMaps.com, please email support@gpstravelmaps.com and we will send you the updated Costa Rica GPS map with these fixes for free. These issues, many new highways and POI's have been added on a monthly basis to the Costa Rica GPS map. :clap

DRTBYK - GPSTravelMaps.com does provide auto routing GPS maps and Basic gps maps. Auto routing will give you turn by turn directions and the basic GPS is basically like a paper GPS that shows your location on the earth as you travel.

If any Advrider members have any questions about the Costa Rica GPS map then please email support@gpstravelmaps.com

If I can answer any questions about the Costa Rica GPS map or any of our other GPS maps for Advrider members then please don't hesitate to ask!

Best Regards,
    Michael
    GPSTravelMaps.com