Ultimate ourback sidecar (I hope) build.

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by 3legs, Jan 8, 2010.

1. TouringDave

TouringDave Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer:

Nah, too tall for the gnome. :D
  2. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    +1 for Mk iii really suiting the K, 3Legs. Nice proportions IMHO. And the K gives you cruising speed, too.

There is a ride into the Flinder's Ranges on the weekend of 19th/20th March. I expect that will see me christening mine!
  3. AceRph

AceRph Retired slacker

Oddometer:
    Cool build.
  4. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    Here's my version ( USA ) of a outback hack,it's a ongoing project and I'm taking her out for a week long offroad trip in about 3 weeks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. zuk16l

zuk16l Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry for being so stupid, but what is the deal with the front suspension on hacks? Why don't conventional forks work very well?
  6. Threewheelbonnie

Threewheelbonnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    You drive an outfit by turning the front wheel (just like a car). You ride a solo bike by reverse steering and producing a force to balance the lean angle and resulting forces. Completely different vehicles that just share some parts.

Solo bike forks used to steer a vehicle that doesn't lean have the wrong geometry (trail is set to self centre very positively). They also lack stiffness. As the outfit gets heavier the steering forces become uncontrollable. Changing the trail by modifying the fork trees solves the heavy steering issue, leading links or beefed up forks solve the stiffness issue as well. Light outfits get away with teles, medium ones might manage with wide bars (more leverage) but heavy stuff needs mods unless you are build like Mr. Universe. Hell is a 400 mile day on an outfit with tele's on a road with a heavy camber, your chair side shoulder is taking the weight of the whole lot and the introduction of the odd hot poker couldn't really make it any worse.

For a more technical explanation head over to the hacks section and read the stickys, lots of diagrams and maths.

BTW, there is no such thing as a stupid question. Answers however.......:lol3

Andy
  7. AceRph

AceRph Retired slacker

Oddometer:
  8. mantree

mantree Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would love to see the frame for the tent and see inside the tent im thinking of a camper body for my freindship 1