the DR200 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by klxrdr, May 13, 2007.

1. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've heard about trouble with the 705s. After I put them on my 650 last fall. We'll see how it goes.
  2. drtaco

drtaco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :D hey lobsta my wife said those handguards are just my style. is a pat. pending or do you sell detailed construction plans? can i get them in black . she uses store brand bleach, so the bottle is not the same as clorox maybe she'll get off 25 cent and buy the good stuff :D really i like it i did a cheap experiment with the new BUD aluminium bottle, didn't work so well and i came up with the idea after emptying 8 bottles so that didn't help :)
  3. thesurvivalist

thesurvivalist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll check that thread out. Hopefully the shop will let me watch them change it.

I was riding off road before with my wife on the back, the bike slid on the mud and i've bent a second clutch lever.

I'm definitely going to get a set of aftermarket handlebars so I can get some proper bark busters. What brand is better pro taper or renthal? it's 7/8 size I need?

On motorcycle superstore they have a drop down menu for the model of bike, the dr200 is not listed under suzuki, the drz400 is listed, aren't all handlebars pretty much the same?

Can i get handlebars that come up higher than stock bars or do I need to get risers?

Is there more vibration with aftermarket handlebars as they will not have the weights in the ends to counteract the vibrations?
  4. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    yes, there will be more vibration
  5. godwinmt

godwinmt They call me Crash

Oddometer:
    You can run bark busters with the stock bars. Just drill a 1/4" hole in each end use a 5/16" tap to tap the steel weight welded in to accept a bolt. A friend ran mine into the side of a pickup and the levers/bars/bark busters are fine.
  6. thesurvivalist

Oddometer:
    Do you get any vibration?

What about other thumper bikes, I thought only the dr200 had the weights?
  7. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    Most thumpers have bar end weights. They're usually not welded in. (at least on Suzukis)
  8. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    I might just do that.
  9. thesurvivalist

Oddometer:
    Sorry just reread my post, what I ment to say is the increased vibration of having aftermarket handlebars, is it significantly noticeable.
  10. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've noticed a significant increase in vibration if you delete the bar-end weights.
  11. godwinmt

godwinmt They call me Crash

Oddometer:

No more than it did stock...the bars will always vibrate, its just about tuning the natural frequency of them for where you want it to resonate. If you want it to resonate down lower, make them heavier. lighter = higher resonance.

The other thing that helps is to put a set of nice cushy grips on it and wear gloves with a gel palm.
  12. lobsta

lobsta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sorry, i lifted that photo off another thread.
    the genius is unknown.
  13. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree.I've heard good things about grip puppies.There's a few good threads on here about them.Only cost around $10US.
  14. CodyY

CodyY ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer:
    ProGrip gel Rally grips. The ones with the "holes" not the "tread"
  15. psu75

psu75 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back to tires...

I found some shinkos but I'm kind of new to buying my own tires so I'm really nervous about it.

The sizes are:
    Shinko 244 Dual Sport Front - Rear Tire - 3.00-21
    Shinko 244 Dual Sport Front - Rear Tire - 4.10-18

Will these work?

Thanks guys!
  16. AKohler883

AKohler883 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I certainly hope so .... I just bought those exact same sizes for my bike. Shinko 244's
    Got them from BikeBandit.com
    Looks like they will clear fine. And others on here stated those sizes as well.
    I have yet to attempt to put them on the bike myself.
    Right now my garage is full. Snowblower, plus a friend's street bike that I am working on for him.
    I need to make room to jack it up and take the wheels off.
    Front should be easy.
    Rear maybe not so much.

Where in PA are you ?

Alan
  17. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
    The 244's are great tires for this bike!
  18. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. dmpeach

dmpeach Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pretty new to the forums here. Just been lurking around for the most part. I currently own a 2007 Honda CBR 600RR, and I love it! I have ridden dirt bikes all my life, but am just now being introduced to the world of dual sports. I'm looking for more of a multi-purpose bike that I can tool around on the endless miles of logging/forest service/random roads here in NW Montana. I found a 2009 DR200SE for sale locally, 950 miles, asking price is $2400.

My question to you all is this: I dont need much for this next bike, just something that will get me off the blacktop! I know from my dirt bike experience what to expect, and I know it will be a huge step down in power from my CBR. My only real concern is will this bike be sufficient for longer hauls? Some places I hope to travel are unfortunately 100-200+ miles of interstate/70mph Highway just to get to the dirt. Will I be able to at least keep close to 70mph comfortably? Can I carry gear for a night or two stay in the woods?

I would like to do this as cheap as possible, but don't want to regret the purchase, and wish I had saved a bit extra $$ for the next step up. Thanks for any input!
  20. thesurvivalist

Oddometer:
    Thats a good price. I use mine on 60 mile daily commutes. For mainly back roads, it rides great and have never felt like the bike lacked power apart from riding uphill with my wife on the back.

I've had mine to 75mph on the interstate for about 15 mile stretches. I've noticed it eats through oil on daily interstate use at 70mph and above.

The bike has the capacity for weekend camping. I currently have a fender pack, number plate bag, tank bank, tailbag and as of tonight saddlebags. With the cycleracks big rack you could carry a lot more but $180 for a rear rack is steep imo.

I love my dr200, I can get up to 90mpg and it is great off road. This weekend I access places I never knew existed and overcame obstacles that are not possible by foot.