950 Supermoto Chronicles

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by wpbarlow, Jul 20, 2006.

1. gplassm

gplassm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did not know that, but I like it. Since I am currently shopping for a new bike, that is a very small, but very important part of the purchasing decision for me.
  2. ultrachrome

ultrachrome Poser

Oddometer:
    External in what way? You can't pull it without at least removing the tank and flipping it over. 90% of the assembly is in the tank touching fuel.

3. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    Thanks for correcting me! I looked It appeared to be remote mounted, next to the tank like on 950's and fed by pet cocks. If the pump is mounted inside the tank, like other 990's than the safari tank for an SE wont be an option without modification of the tank, for the fuel pump. Sorry, Mike... edit to add: and gplassm
  4. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    If Aqualine makes the 7.5 gal tank, then yes, that's the one. I'm not necessarily interested in the 10.5 gal Adventure tank.

I think 7.5 up front and maybe a 2 into 1 exhaust with one of Neduro's 2.2 gal side tanks would be the cats ass for LD travel.

5. gplassm

gplassm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, Bummer. Oh well, I still want to get an SMT over a V-Strom 1000...or any of the other liter bikes.
  6. ridemorestressless

ridemorestressless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello!

I have read this thread and used it to help me through a lot of the "common" projects.

I am running with a canisterectomy, DNA air filter, Akro cans, and had the bike jetted at a neighborhood shop with a dyno. When I had it done she rode great, and strong. I was out of town for work for a few months and she sat. Ran half a tank of fuel through and had to replace the battery since I got back. I used the Ballistic 12cell evo2 lithium. It works STRONG. 3 year warranty is hard to argue with also.

3 current questions/ I would appreciate advice on these points

1.) There is a grinding noise as I ease the clutch out when in gear and the rear wheel is raised on the stand. Best in 1st, worst in 6th. When off the stand still rides strong and pulls hard all the way through except for right off the bat, can't hear the nose when riding, no noticed increase in vibrations. Is this grinding normal and this is just the first time I have noticed it?

2.) When I get off the throttle or hold constant throttle position there is a lot of backfiring. I also need to use throttle to start in 1st or she stalls, 16t sprocket, stock rear. Would I turn the air/ fuel mixture screws cw or ccw to relieve this? I do not have notes on how they set them at the shop, and they don't either. I have the external adjustment extensions and they may have been turned when I was out of town. That or the idle speed adjustment are the only things that someone may have messed with when she was sitting.

3.) BAD anti torque noise when starting. Sometimes it goes for 10-15 seconds before I can get it to start. Would a dealer do this as a replacement item on an '06? If not, is it a bad idea to fix the torque limiter issue by opening up, welding the old pieces together and closing back up? I need to replace the gasket on that side anyway, it has a small oil leak up top. Budget is tight but if it might cause other issues I won't ride until I can afford the proper replacement parts kit.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice you can give me!
  7. nattyMo

nattyMo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1. Are you running without any load on the rear tire on a track type stand?

2. Some backfireing is normal on closce throttle. The only time I've had it happen on steady throttle my VR was failing.

3. A dealer/KTM may agree to resolve it. I'd check with them first prior to opening it up.

8. nattyMo

nattyMo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My first ride of 2013 nearly ends in tears.

I took a ride on my SMR up I-83 out of Baltimore yesterday. For those who don't know the road it's a 6 lane interstate with several bends.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>Long story short, a couple on a CBR600 came flying up the slow lane (85-100mph), attempted to cut across center lane traffic and move into the fast lane. When doing so the rider made an error in judgment and slammed into the back of a mini-van in the center lane. I was in the fast lane, moving with traffic, keeping my usual buffer of open space. Luckily, as it turned out. This happened at the entrance of a RH curve, the rider, passenger and moto slid directly across my path into the jersey wall dividing the highway. Given the buffer, the fact that I had spotted them coming up in my mirror, some luck and time honed moto skill, I was able avoid everything and come to a safe stop. The rider and passenger had some gear on, it saved their lives. Their jeans did a poor job, no surprise. I'm not sure of their injuries, both were able to get to their feet despite my instructions to remain lying down and still. Other drivers assisted the rider and passenger while I did my best to direct traffic. First responders arrived within 15 or so minutes. What a mess, feel terrible for those involved. I’m grateful to be a witness instead of a victim but sad to have seen the accident at all.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Not the way I wanted the new year to start..<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Ride well all!<o:p></o:p>
    NM
  9. preppypyro

preppypyro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats crazy natty. The bonus is you yourself didnt get hurt. I love speed just like most guys on here, but there is a time and place to get on the throttle, and I wish more guys would realize that.

Hell I know a guy that has had his SM twice as fast as the legal speed limit up here . He just opted to do it when there was no other vehicles around.
  10. BuckMoto

BuckMoto Adventure Napping

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the thread! These bikes do make a lot of noise if you put them in gear with the rear on a stand. What is not normal is if the chain looks like it is trying to climb the face of the rear sprocket and then snapping back down (like a partailly engaged front sprocket change on a bicycle). That would indicate a misalignment. On a street or parking lot with no traffic where you can roll along in first gear while watching the chain, check to make sure that there is not a noticeable side-to-side movement in the chain. If there is, you have a misalignment. I had a bent swingarm, but while running a worn chain with plenty of side flex and worn sprockets, I did not have the harsh grinding sound. When I put on a fresh chain and sprockets, the problem became very obvious.

I read in a Cycle World column about a year ago that street bike swingarms are designed to flex sideways while cornering in order to track more smoothly over uneven surfaces. If you do bone-headed things like landing sideways and bottoming out on a SM, the jolt can be enough to keep the swingarm in a flexed position! Another indication that a swingarm might be bent sideways is that the lower shock mount area will be pinched and it will take every cuss word you know to get the bolt aligned and back in.:lol3

nattyMo - Sure glad to hear you avoided disaster.

preppypyro - I think I know of the guy you're talking about! :D
  11. batman_oh

batman_oh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A hello from the Wicklow mountains in Ireland!
    Have had the 950 for 2 years now - amazing bike for messing around on. Currently considering a 990SMR but a little unsure as I love the compliant suspension on the 950SM for the type of roads its used on (have an R1 for the other stuff)
    [​IMG]
  12. ridemorestressless

Oddometer:

1. Correct. I now understand that is a common noise when on a stand with no load. Good news!

2. VR is putting out 14.5 volts. Backfiring is really bad on constant throttle use.would I turn the air fuel mix screws in or out to resolve that?

3. I will check with dealer. For informational purposes is there anything wrong with welding the old anti torque parts together?
  13. ridemorestressless

Oddometer:

Thanks!

I did not observe the misalignment indicators you mentioned, and don't want to take the lower shock bolt out just to test that!!! M Might be more noticeable with a fresh chain. She had 4k miles when I bought and I have only put 1500 on so far. Sprockets look great still. How often do you replace your chains?
  14. KHVol

KHVol Long timer

Oddometer:
    How long did the bike sit up before you bought it and how old is the fuel ? Old fuel,can make it backfire so bad you would think it is an electrical problem .
  15. ridemorestressless

Oddometer:

it sat for a gew months before I bought it. I put 1500 miles on after jetting and she ran great. I was out of town for 10 months and she sat. no stabilozer or any prep. Fuel tank was almost empty . I added gumout, fuel injector carb cleaner and filled up. I have run about a 1/4 tank of that.

any suggestions on other addives?

will turning the air fuel mixture screw in or out help with the constant backfiring under constant throttle.
  16. Thumper996

Thumper996 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well as i am down until March re-habing from knee surgery, i thought it was a good time to check the valves. Bought the bike with 5k on it and the PO had the original post break in valve check done. I have put about 15k on it myself, so got this far today. Anyone know if the HotCam Crf450R shims are the same size.

[​IMG]
  17. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    I wonder if I could mount a 2 into 1 can and then use one of Neduro's saddle tanks?
    That would bring it up to 7.2 gallons.
  18. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    Don't know about the HotCam shims but Harley VRod shims are a perfect fit, have twice as many sizes and cost a lot less than KTM shims.
  19. mcmann

mcmann Kid at Heart Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. ridemorestressless

Oddometer:

Where did you get the mounts and upper frame sliders?
    Is that a 950sm?