KTM 350 EXC-F Get any love around here?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by David_Moen, Jan 19, 2013.

1. E-Ticket2

E-Ticket2 E-Ticket

Oddometer:
    It is. :D

BTW, KTMTalk.com is a free site ... there is no charge.
    You simply register, supply a screen name and valid email address, and you're in like Flynn. It takes less than 5 min.
    Here's the registration page if you're interested.

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?act=Reg&CODE=00

O-r-r-r ... if you're really reluctant to sign up ... you can read the "Jr." version of the Wee Beasty thread on the OMRA web site.
    It's p-r-e-t-t-y much the same content. But it has much fewer pages because there is hardly any added tips-n-tricks-n-mods from other 350 owners.

It's located here: http://www.omraoffroad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=11373

Cheers! E-Ticket
  2. gplassm

gplassm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just bought a 2012 350 EXC-F, and I have to say, it is quite a beast compared to other dirt bikes I have owned. Right now, I just popped on a 13t counter shaft sprocket (13/45), but it still needs lower gearing. With the 13/45 combo the axle will be almost all the way back in the swing arm slots, and the bike will cruise comfortably at 60-65 MPH. I have read that 13/48 will fit with the stock chain, but any larger than that (rear sprocket) will require a longer chain. The XCF comes with 13/52 gearing, and many people shoot for that, but I will probably try 13/48 first as I ride a bit of road to get around from trail to trail. My dealer (a NETRA "A" Vet rider) recommended 13/50.
    I brought home a KTM skid plate with the bike.
    I still need real hand guards, and i have found that most of them (Cycra, EE, HDB included) really do not look right with the angular body work. I will probably buy the OEM Cycra set.
    This bike is flat out amazing! The throttle response is bordering on too aggressive. The motor does not like to lug down like an XR or a DR. It wants to, and needs to rev.
    So far, from what I have read, the 350's have proven to be very reliable, as long as you check (and adjust, as necessary) your valve clearances after the first hour or so.
  3. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just finished getting my '13 350 ready to go. I added Highway Dirt Bikes hand guards with fold out mirrors, top clamp, computer re-locater and under bar damper mount. The HDB top clamp also gave me a spot to put a switch for heated grips and a RAM ball for GPS mounting. I left my countershaft sprocket at 14 teeth, and swapped the rear out for an Ironman 50 tooth part. This did require using a longer chain. The evap. canister and associated plumbing fell off spontaneously, and the SAS tube has been plugged. My dealer is going to re-map the ECU to XC-W specs when I take it in for it's first inspection/service.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. E-Ticket2

E-Ticket2 E-Ticket

Oddometer:
    ooo-o-o-o-h ... very nicely done, sir. :thumb
    Pretty looking scoot!

E-Ticket
  5. Geddy

Geddy Adventurer

Oddometer:

Hey E-Ticket, I've read through your guide preeeetty extensively over the past few months since I decided to buy a 2013 350 EXC-F. Without a doubt it's one of the best, if not THE best, guides on the 'net for working on a new EXC-F.

However, I recall reading that the whole emissions system in the 2013 models were changed to be more of a pain in the ass to mess around with [thanks a lot, idiot environmentalists]. Do you know if your guide still applies to the 2013 models in terms of emissions system?
  6. E-Ticket2

E-Ticket2 E-Ticket

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm ... it *should.*

I haven't heard of any real changes emissions-wise from the '12 to the '13 models.
    If there is a change, it's probably limited to having a slight different FI mapping installed.
    I can't see them making any real changes to the emissions hardware and plumbing.

But that being said .... your mileage may vary (YMMV)!

Now that I think about it -- you might also want to ask that question on the Wee Beasty thread on KTMTalk.
    There are quite a few 2013 model owners following that thread -- and they would be in a better position to know than me.

Cheers! E-Ticket
  7. Geddy

Geddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good call. As it turned out, my dealer was kind enough to desmog the bike right off the showroom floor, and remap it with an XC-W map. Just picked it up Saturday morning, she purrs like a kitten! :)

Your mega-guide has been enormously helpful though. Much obliged sir.

Here's a pic from the weekend:

[​IMG]
    bpc likes this.
  8. E-Ticket2

E-Ticket2 E-Ticket

Oddometer:
    Sunshine and a new dirty bike. :D

Looks good, sir!

E-Ticket
  9. Freakhead

Freakhead Living Proof

Oddometer:
    She's a beauty...and of course I am now on road for work for a few weeks. Will tackle some of the above projects over the winter.

[​IMG]
  10. skeelo221

skeelo221 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a used 2013 350 EXC-F and am trying to wire up the fan kit. The previous owner did a bunch of mods, a lot of them questionable. Can someone please tell me if this is an aftermarket radiator? Not a good sign...there is no plug to install the temp sensor!

Attached Files:

11. Dogfarm

Dogfarm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The trailtech fan has a sensor that is mounted in the fins so you don't need to mount an internal sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. ChasM

ChasM Been here awhile

Oddometer:

That doesn't look like the stock rad since it seems to lack a thermo-sensor bung. A good aftermarket fan kit which doesn't need the sensor bung is the TrailTech Fan Kit which actually has an adjustable fan turn-on temp setting.
  13. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

What is behind the orange cover below the clutch slave cylinder protector?
    It is similar to the oil filter cover. OIL PUMP?

[​IMG]