The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    That white with red trim looks GREAT.

Hmmm, only have to paint 4 pieces....

Get some stickers...

:hmmmmm
  2. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Left one out.

The white does look nice.:nod
  3. jub jub

jub jub frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer:
    Guys, I just back from the Yami dealer. I was checking out the S10 they've been using for a demo bike. The bike has acquired quite a few scratches since the last time I was there. Also, the salesman openly admitted they loaned the bike to a guy to be used in a MSF course! :huh When I got there, the key was left in the on position and the battery was dead. They are asking 11,900.00 for the bike, without the boxes. I think I'm going to have to pass. There is another dealer in Macon that has two new ones on the showroom floor. I believe one is a 13. I'll probably ride up tomorrow to take a look.

Okay, the question I had, the salesman was telling me it's real easy to bend the key if you don't know how to open the boxes properly. He showed me the key on that particular bike and it was a bit curved in it's appearance. It also appeared to be very thin for a key, almost toy like. Have you guys noticed this? Is this any cause for concern or is it a simple matter of finding a slightly thicker key and having it cut. It's not a deal breaker, but it gave the appearance of cheapness.

:ear
  4. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've bent mine not being careful and broke one off in the FJR bag.

Kind of a good sign if the only fault to come up with is a wimpy key.:D

Couple of loaded Teneres in the flea market.
  5. Dallara

Dallara Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer:

Sounds to me like the salesman is trying to do a CYA number for his own hamfistedness with the key... :evil

I've logged well over 25,000 miles on my S-10 - all but about 1,000 miles of that with the bags on and used every day - and I haven't had even one nano-whit of any problem with the bag locks, seat lock, ignition lock, or keys. Of course, I installed the bags myself, paid close attention to the installation of the locks, carefully loctiited the lock backing screws, properly lubed the locks with a plastic-safe lock lube, and know enough to *FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURER'S INSTRUCTIONS* and press down on the lid of the bag to lock or unlock it.

There have been posts upon posts, threads and more threads, and pages on top of pages about this subject both here and on other forums... Have you tried the "Search" function or Googled "ADVrider Super Tenere case (or bag) locks"? :wink:

And if you're really worried about it there are tons of other side case manufacturers out there... Metal Mule, Jesse, Micatech, Caribou, Happy Trails, Givi, Touratech, etc., etc., etc. ad infinitum...

First and foremost, though, I'd steer away from that salesman. :lol3 :lol3 :lol3

Dallara

~
  6. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In a couple more hours it won't matter anyway. I do have to say
    it's getting cold standing out here waiting for the Rapture or
    end or whatever those Mayans had in mind for us.:vardy
  7. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    they figured some guy in Utah would stand outside waiting for the sky to fall and freeze to death instead:D
  8. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're a cranky old man Dallara. :D
  9. Dallara

Oddometer:

Maybe, but I do have to often wonder why folks don't ever even try doing a bit of a search first before asking some questions... :huh :scratch :loco

OTOH, in reality most folks that know me in person say... well... that I'm a cranky old man. :lol3 :lol3 :lol3

Dallara

~
  10. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here ya go jub jub.

I don't know how busy you are but I hope this link helps...

Click Here

Sorry about that rude old Dallara :lol3
  11. snakebitten

snakebitten Small Town Hick

Oddometer:
    Especially since he lives where you can ride 365. Not to mention surrounded by world class fishing, food, and texas woman.

(Spring Break, Texas style, is right down the street)
  12. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    Yamaha oem keys are a little soft. Lots of riders just go get some generic keys made up and toss the oem ones in a drawer for safe keeping. I used my oem keys for 160k and bent one once, (my fault). Using a little care makes a big difference, but I also carried a spare, just in case. Cheap insurance. The bags typically like a little pressure on the latch/lid when turning the key. A simple matter of getting used to the procedure.

@ Pluric - The end of the Mayan calendar just means it's time for a new calendar. They never said anything about the end of the world. Don't freeze your butt off standing out there in the cold. :D
  13. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Duh, we know how to stay warm in the snow.:rolleyes

[​IMG]
  14. Dallara

Oddometer:

Why would you wanna' live anywhere else? :dunno

And "Spring Break" is not just great down in South Padre Island, but right here, too... over in Port Aransas. Pretty dang good in Galveston, too. And to use Graham's wonderful device to help folks...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Texas+Spring+Break+pictures

But the women are damn PHAT anywhere here, year around!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Texas+Women+pictures

And Texas had Indy Cars and NASCAR here for years (at TMS), and now we got Formula One, ALMS, Grand Am, Aussie V-8 Super Cars, and MotoGP... With WSBK right around the corner (all at COTA). All along with spectacular weather and some of the best motorsicle ridin' anywhere in the world. :ricky

Like I said, why would ya' wanna' liv' anywhere else? :freaky

:lol3 :rofl :lol3 :rofl :lol3

Dallara

~
  15. sallydog

sallydog https://sallydog.smugmug.com/Pets/LD-Travel/

Oddometer:
    i didnt bend my key yet and im a hardcore drunk that lives in the pine barrens, 35000 miles in 9 months.plenty of dirt :D 4th set of tires... (2nd set of k60's)
  16. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Okay, so it wasn't that cold today. Took the day off just in case the
    Mayans knew something I didn't. If I'm going out I'm going out with the grandkid.:D

Loaded up the trailer and rode around the neighborhood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. jub jub

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

I'm pretty good about using the search function. Unfortunately, I didn't have a lot of time and I was hoping someone could say the key sucks or do a search, plenty of info on the interwebs.

I'm sorry to have bothered you Dallara. Please accept my apologies.

GrahamD...thanks for the link! :clap
  18. jub jub

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

I would think the S10 would have push button start by now. Everything else does...almost.
  19. Dallara

Oddometer:

No apology necessary. Wasn't really a bother. I was honestly happy to try and provide at least a partial answer for you.

I just wondered why somebody would do take the time to type out a 250-word or so question post on a forum, where they'd have to log-in, wait for answers, etc....

Instead of just typing 8 or 10 words into a Google search box and get a bunch of instant answers... :lol3 :wink: :lol3

I'll let ya' get back to what you were doing... I know you're busy. :rofl

Dallara

~
  20. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    You don't want keyless ignition. Really.:eek1