Bikes you didn't like nearly as much as you thought you would.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by davidji, Nov 18, 2012.

1. gqelements

gqelements Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    See my earlier post on page 2 or 3, replying to someone who was praising this thread as a useful precautionary tale to people looking to make a purchasing decision.... As expected it became an all-encompassing complaints box for bikes of all stripes...

I think all it does is scare new riders or potential owners from buying ANY bike.

Unfortunate but so typical of the interwebs...
  2. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or a useful reminder that we're all just a little bit different from one another.

:brow
    fujione likes this.
  3. gqelements

gqelements Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe, esp. for more mature riders who can discern that.. I do however clearly remember buying my first bike and seeing posts online 'documenting' problems that would send waves of doubt of wheter I should really be spending what were at the time my life savings on this or ANY motorcycle.

Perspective is fairly aplenty among experienced (and those that in turn can likely somewhat afford buying a lemon), but often lacking among the impressionable young and new to the hobby/sport.

Really, I think that 39 pages of random complaining are not worth the bandwith they are sucking up :)
  4. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    Appears to be an open ended question posted for anyone and everyone to reply. Looks like the poster got exactly what he wanted, almost 30 pages of human disappointment with their purchases. Imagine the thread size if he had asked, "what disappoints you about your spouse?"
    I have enjoyed this, as I've owned many of the bikes mentioned and agreed with some posts and not so much with others. It's been a fun read... tp dd50
  5. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wife came from a "Harley" backrground and even though she has told me that my GS is the most comfortable bike she has ridden pillion on, she still lusts for that big V Twin experience. I wasn't going to spring for a Hog, but I was open to trying a touring styled cruiser from one of the metric giants.

Around that time I was at Mid Ohio for Vintage and the Kawasaki demo truck was there. As luck would have it, the Vulcan Nomad was available for a ride which was one of the cruisers that interested me so I took a demo. I am not sure what I was expecting, but as pretty as the bike was, it did absolutely nothing for me. I couldn't wait for the demo ride to be over so I could get off.

Don't you just hate it when the good visual is ruined by a poor riding experience?

I never did pick up a cruiser which is just as well as my wife decided after my deer strike in '10, that she was't going to ride anymore.

Rick G
  6. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    The implication being that random praise is somehow more worthy of bandwidth? Personally I like to hear both sides of the story, especially if the reasons are explained. Some opinions you value more than others, just like real life.
  7. adcolor

adcolor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, I'll add my little thoughts:

2001 Gold wing. It was everything a large high dollar car is: fast, smooth, handled well. And no wind, no sensation of being outside. Took it for a 500 mile ride. Wife was relived when I told her I wasn't interested.

Aprilia Caponard: Rode my current bike to the test and then home. The Capo demo ride was fast -- a lot of 100+ mph riding, some curves, etc. Thought, not bad, bigger seat for 2. Then rode my 03 Thunderbird Sport home. Took about a mile to mark the Capo off of my list. Just not that fun.

Buell Ulysses: Wanted to like it. Test rode one when new, and one recently (this time 2 up and some curvy roads). Handled well, liked the seating position. My wife's description: the engine felt like an inspired riding mower. Can't add to that.

My TBS could use 20-30 hp (6000' + altitude is no help), and the correct rear spring (which came mounted on a new shock) has made a huge difference (plus, well known stock seat sucks; now replaced). About time for it to find a new home -- need more upright riding position and a little more foot room for 2. KTM 950/990 SM T is on the short list for a test ride.

My preferences are for a naked bike that can handle, with a slightly sporting riding position (had cruisers, don't want one). It has to be able to handle 1 rider or 2, with or w/o soft bags. And we start with 200#. Hope that helps set the perspective.
  8. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Puh-freekin-leeze. If any potential buyer took this thread as anything other than the musings of the bored and/or nostalgic, they're idiots, and should be sentenced to owning the two wheeled eqivalent of a Yugo.

Which I suppose might be a Ural without the hack.

Carry on.
  9. EetsOK

EetsOK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hated this bike the Yammy FJR1300. Pretty bad when the bike from the demo fleet is stalling in traffic, among other issues.
    [​IMG]
  10. Ducatiparts.110mb

Ducatiparts.110mb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Honda 900 Hornet (919). Bought it as I needed something reasonably quick and more upright than my VTR1000. A very worthy bike, but god it was dull. Only four I've ever had and on that basis I wouldn't have another.

Ducati Monster S4r. Very fast, good handling but not different enough from the other Dukes I had at the time. I enjoyed riding it but just didn't look forward to riding it. Only kept it 2 months and then sold it for a 996. Now that was a different story altogether....
  11. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wasn't trying to run down the Vespa. I was pointing out my ignorance at the time that I had a favorite model of a fine manufacturer, and knew very little about 2 strokes. At the time(1976), scooters were of no account in central Vermont. I have been driving around here for 40 years on my Heinkel. Until the last few years, no one gave it a second glance, except little boys who probably thought it was a rocket. Now I am held up wherever I go by people who want to talk about it.
  12. dirtdreamer50

Oddometer:
    http://www.heinkeltourist.com/index.htm

I had never seen or heard of a Heinkel scooter until this thread. I found their owners forum and learned more than I probably need to know. Crazy looking modes of transportation....I do know scooters are harder to ride than motorcycles due to their small diameter wheels and super quick steering. tp
  13. opmike

opmike Choosing to be here.

Oddometer:
    The entire Ducati 848/1098/1198 series of bikes.

I'm pretty used to the sport bike riding position. I ride an SVS and I've ridden friend's R6s, ZX6s, et. al., without too much of an issue. So, I just kept telling myself, how bad could it be, really?

However, one bored Saturday morning, I finally worked up the courage to ride over to the Ducati/Aprilia/Triumph dealer the next state over. I've been avoiding doing so as I have a serious lust problem. My lust is already strong when seeing photos, but the lust gets out of control when dealing with these magical beasts we called motorcycles in the flesh.

Anyway, upon arriving, I went over to an 848 EVO Dark perched in the corner with a grin in my face and a skip in my step. Swung a leg over and the smile gradually faded. Never have I sit on such an ass-high bike in my life, and I felt like I was going to slide forward and over the front wheel. And the seat? What seat? Sitting directly on the trellis frame would have been more pleasant. I'm sure I could get used to it, but I just felt a sense of "this is ridiculous" that I didn't feel sitting on other sport bikes.

Now, now, don't get me wrong; I totally understand the purpose and intended use of these motorcycles. I'm speaking SOLELY from my personal perspective I understand these are track weapons, but any bike I own will have to contend with a certain level of traffic duty from time to time, as I don't exactly live next door to the twisty roads in my town. The thought of getting caught in lunch-time traffic on something like that is the stuff of nightmares. Just the wrong tool for the job.

I know the squid factor is high, but the GSX-R series of bikes are easily the most comfortable sport bikes I've ridden for whatever reason, and I can see why they're so popular.

My loins still lust after a Ducati sport bike, though. Not surprising really; rarely have any wise decisions come about with one's loins at the helm.
  14. FMFDOC

FMFDOC IBA #63181 Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't seen anything really bad about a Super Tenere in this thread. Does that mean that they are okay? Or has nobody gotten around to giving one a good swift kick in the fellas?

Love the thread BTW. Lots of great information.

Anywhoooo... I'm looking to get a Tenere and am very interested in their shortcomings BEFORE I spend a metric-ass-load of money on one.

That said, I have had a few Harleys and I opine that they just aren't worth the money that I spent. Put another way, for the investment, you can get a WAY better bike. (plus the whole old age ergonomics thing)
  15. dirtdreamer50

Oddometer:
  16. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rented a Tenere in Holland last year and really liked it...especially the "sport" mode. I owned a GS @ the time, so I really like upright riding position(s). The bike never felt heavy when rolling, but again, I'm used to riding top-heavy beasts...I would definitely recommend one!
  17. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Heinkel Tourist, designed in 1953, has a monoshock swingarm rear suspension, a 55" wheelbase, and feels like a motorcycle. It is quite comfortable for all day rides and cruises at 50-55 mph. It is not a typical scooter. The Tourist was made to extremely high standards by Heinkel Aircraft and cost $100 more than the 250cc BMW made at the same time.
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8343/8243988259_4817c83676_b.jpg
  18. FMFDOC

FMFDOC IBA #63181 Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Thats good news. Thank you for the heads up.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...
    HalB likes this.
  19. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very funky.

[​IMG]
  20. amos100

amos100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Test drove the Tenere for a couple of hours, for ever how much that is worth. Generally found the engine to be flat and uninspiring. Eventually bought a BMW GSA and have been very glad I did. I found it will fly straight line and in the twisties once I got the hang of it and like the fit and finish much better. The wind protection is excellent, the riding position comfortable and the ability to see above most of the traffic on that bike is an extra I hand't planned on.. That said, there's a big price difference between the two.