MotoGP Austin, April 19-21, 2013

Discussion in 'Racing' started by pacman1, Oct 3, 2012.

1. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    Sounds like my experience at the MOA National. :D
    But I digress.
  2. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    I made that mistake too.

Once.

Food poisoning, a t-shirt and pin.:puke2

3. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    A starter battery caught fire in the Tech3 garage last night and burned up a bunch of stuff, along with sprinkler water damage in a number of garages.
  4. yooperbikemike

yooperbikemike high, wide and handsome

Oddometer:
    Tech 3 ready to compete in Austin after garage fire

The Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team would like to thank the Circuit of the Americas (COTA) and local Austin Fire Department staff for their immediate action after a small fire broke out inside Cal Crutchlow and Bradley Smith’s pit garage overnight.

One of the electric starters used to start the Team’s Yamaha YZR-M1 machinery caught fire, but thanks to the high standards of safety and fire prevention at the new COTA track, a sprinkler system was immediately activated and prevented any serious damage.

Computer equipment was damaged but despite the disruption to preparations for the inaugural Circuit of the Americas race, the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team is not anticipating the fire incident causing any problems to its participation in this weekend’s much anticipated first race in Texas.

Team staff will now commence a thorough investigation into the cause of the fire and the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team would also like to place on record its appreciation to the management and staff at Yamaha for its cooperation in helping the French-based squad be as best prepared as possible for the weekend.

Herve Poncharal – Team Manager:

“Unfortunately there was a small incident inside the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 garage overnight. The process of starting a MotoGP machine requires an electric starter and overnight they are left on charge.

"This is standard procedure and something we have been doing ever since the introduction of the four-stroke era. Unfortunately in the night one of the batteries caught fire. We have suffered quite a lot of damage and of course it is not ideal preparations but thankfully the fire prevention measures undertaken by the Circuit of the Americas and the assistance of the local Fire Department were invaluable in limiting the damage. The sprinkler system was immediately activated and fire crews on scene promptly and I am grateful for that. We will be conducting a thorough investigation to find out why this issue occurred and take the necessary steps to ensure it is not repeated in the future. I would like to apologise to the Yamaha Factory Team, LCR Honda and Cardion AB too, as the sprinkler system was also activated inside their pit area as well. But it could have been much worse and with the fantastic support of Yamaha and others in the close-knit MotoGP community, I am confident we can participate in this weekend’s race without any additional problems."
  5. ceeco

ceeco two wheels at a time

Oddometer:
    COTA just posted a tweet saying onsite parking will be $30/day for car and $15/day for motos. The map they provide in the same tweet has the parking listed at $60??
  6. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    Is this a dead thread ?

Marky Mark is a half second ahead after FP2.

Zoooooooom.
  7. ErikY.

ErikY. Here, Now.

Oddometer:
    No, we're talking in the Spoiler Thread.:deal
  8. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    I was headed north on Wed Thur and Fri after spendin the last month in Texas. There were alot of road warriors headed south. Seems like everyone was loaded down with gear so I assume they were going to the GP. I wish I could have. I had to be home by today. I hope its on TV. Have fun ya'll.

Yep, on Speed at 2:30 till 4..Sweet.
  9. philosobrad

philosobrad problem_solvent

Oddometer:
    Traffic management fail.
  10. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    Perfect weather. :clap

Free KS shirts coming out tomorrow, i see a few here and there. :D
  11. BigEasy

BigEasy Fish Eyed Heathen

Oddometer:
    Got mine at the Austin Vespa/Aprilla/Guzzi store:evil
  12. JimNtexas

JimNtexas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The inspection at the gate was very cursory. I could have smuggled in a ten pound ham, rather than the two bottles of water and several Atkins bars that I had in my camera bag.

There was no inspection of my person or jacket, so anything in a pocket went through unchallenged.

The one thing that COTA really needs to reconsider is adequate public water fountains. There are water fountains in the Main Grandstand, but those were the only ones I found.

If they have an event in the summer people are going die from overheating dehydration. I don't mind the high prices for most things, but in Texas summers people need to be able access water easily, and not have to stand in line for a $4 or $7 bottle of water if they are about to pass out.

I'm a right wing wacko and hate much of the government, but in this case the city of Austin really needs to step in here and impose some sanity on COTA before people start dying this summer.
  13. XR-TEX

XR-TEX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Attended the Moto GP today with my boys. Traffic out of the event was problematic to say the least. It was the same deal when TMS opened.
    It takes several events to iron out the wrinkles and get the flow down.

This was my first Moto GP event and we had a great time. Coming back next month for the Aussie Super Car event. Should be a hoot. The facility is awesome I think and beautiful to look at. We were sitting on lawn chairs at turn 3 and had a big screen across the track to follow the action when we couldn't see what was happening on the far sides of the circuit. Amazing speed on the back straight! We carried in food and drinks to avoid getting raped at concessions. Great weather today also. Great way to spend time with my sons.
  14. primate

primate Group W

Oddometer:
    I didn't have much of a problem on the way out, but I waited til after the rookie race (which was the last). Nothing like the first or second ever races at TMS (Nascar)...that one was like 6 hrs to get out. I was home in an hour leaving COTA.
  15. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Perfect weather, great racing.
    We were in turn 15, row 4
    [​IMG]

We spent the night in Lockhart at a brand new Best Western. The local food was super!
    [​IMG]

See You all next year!
  16. pacman1

pacman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sat by turn 1 on the grass.

Food prices were crazy, as expected, so I was prepared for that. Cash parking was very poorly marked, and it sucked for us parking there since we have to walk all the way Lot L to the main plaza to get to the ONLY TICKET WINDOW in the whole place. Poor planning on my part. I should have bought a parking pass in advance.

The track is spectacular!

Getting out wasn't bad, but traffic on I35 conspired against us all the way back to DFW. The normal 2.5 hour drive took us 4 hours. Screw you, I35 construction.
  17. tat2

tat2 where's ya too?

Oddometer:
    We were @ Turn 15, section 21. We had great time. Parking was fine ezcept for friday. We had lot G passes, however they stuck us out in M when G and F were closed. Not knowing why was the issue since there was no signage, but once we found out why (too muddy from rain) we were fine. Leaving sunday was fine since we waited after the rookie cup.

I liked you could bring as much sealed water with you as you could carry, but as mentioned more water fountains are needed. We walked all around and took in views from different areas during practices and found many great views.

Our biggest peeve was the timing. The on screen only updated once per lap when they crossed the line. The towers were even slower.
  18. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    I was on the grass on turn 1 and my biggest complaint was the stupid loud music from the Red Bull reception area, nothing but silence, crowd noises, and sweet motos would have been much better.
  19. Zeekster

Zeekster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great race,great venue...one Question for me is; Camping any info would be appreciated...I'm 69 yo to young to hit the motels yet!...Thanks:lol3:clap:rofl
  20. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, those Red Bull people are obnoxious. 2005 they had that blaring going on right through the Laguna Seca National Anthem. Sorry to read they are still obnoxious.