Show us your TransAlp modifications!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by modrover, Apr 13, 2004.

1. transalper

transalper Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can you get us the part number or specific dimensions? Thanks!
  2. iceweazel

iceweazel mechanic-ly inclined

Oddometer:
    So I flew into Seattle and was driving up to vancouver for a couple days of class.

Whats the first bike I see over the border on BC99? (I-5)

A Transalp coming up the right shoulder ridden two up with what looked like yellow gaiters on the forks. (bad traffic jam) white body, not the grey.

heh
  3. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:

Thanks! :thumb

Hey, what gives on selling the TA?

You're too close to me... I hate seeing good deals close to me! :lol3

Maybe you'd take 0 down and like 50 bucks a month for it? I'd buy it! That'd make 3 for me and I'd be THAT much happier! :lol3 Yeah, I'm sick I guess.

Oh wait, you've got a DL now right? Come on... you can't keep the TA too? KEEP IT!!!!!!!!! :nod
  4. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:

That must have been a lovely image to behold! :thumb
  5. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:

Yes, do post the part numbers. It's good to keep that stuff on record. It's also good when someone else does all the dirty work for the rest of us! OnYa! :thumb
  6. davidmc

davidmc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will see what I can find when I get home tonight. Apparently Galfer has a line specifically for the '89 Transalp, and if any part number is listed on my invoice I will post it here.
  7. Mechanista

Mechanista Board Certified

Oddometer:
    Hey Mod, good plate! Just finished reading the other tread about a pos. new TA and after returning from our trip I couldn't agree more about the tubeless tire thingy, my son kept pulling over thinking that he had a flat and when I put my hand on the TKC-80 rear tire... holy shnikey! It was 101 outside that day, but, wow, watch those babies when loaded. We just returned from trying to go into Canada from Glacier Nat. but alas my boy is under 18 and they wanted more documents, so we proceded to explore your area of the great northwest, man that is a cool area, the gravel roads are so surreal winding through endless forests. The TA did awesome on our 4200mi journey,the only real problem was interstate shots at 80+ it seemed to toss oil out the breather syst. Afterwards we ended up in the Black Hills of S.D. and pounded more gravel and jeep trails. I thought Sturgis Trailer Week was the next week but that place was freakin packed with posers. My son got tired of answering questions as to "what the hell ya' ridin" and " you rode that all the way from where through where?".
  8. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:

Yes, I'd like tubeless tires myself. Plug'n those types can be real easy if the puncture is small in size. I've been told that if it's a bigger hole... tubes are better. I guess you can rig a tire to stay together, but usually not to hold air.

That trip sounds like a blast. Sturgis sounds weak. Those questions of "Huh?" :huh by that bunch says it all! :lol3

Thanks for the plate compliment. It's nice having it on now... shit happens so I'd rather have extra protection. :nod
  9. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    I had some time today for a ride! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl

I did my usual trip from the NE side of Vancouver to the NE side of Washougal in WA state (very close to the Portland, OR area). It's a run I like to do that gets me 60 miles of logging roads and about 25 miles of road. A nice mix.

The off-road sections are not difficult at all. Nice fire roads with ruts and such. There are trails allover the area that shoot off from the logging roads, but I tend to stick with the easy stuff. I like to cover distance when I'm off-road. Must be the hidden Rally Racer in me! :D

The TA was a dream off-road once again. I can't say this enough. It's so smooth. I've called it a Cady off-road and IT IS! :nod I think because my sus. is so shag'd and soft... it gives such a plush ride. I'd hate to loose that floating feeling I get from it so no sus. mods are in the works for a bit. Maybe as I start hit'n stuff at speed more I'll change my tune.

I took a couple pics while I was out on the ride. Nothing great, but it does show the mix of the ride nicely.

Attached Files:

10. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    looking down the Gorge... (from Cape Horn)

Attached Files:

11. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    just because I got the TRANSALP in the shot... :lol3

Attached Files:

12. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    This was from a ride I did with a friend last month (he rode a DL650) up to Mt. St. Helen's. This ALWAYS makes for a great ride! :nod

This is the road that zigzags it's way up to Windy Ridge lookout. This is a paved road, but a guy can easily find tons of logging roads to link this road into a better route.

Attached Files:

13. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    I've posted this before, but it's a nice shot!

Attached Files:

14. transalper

Oddometer:
    Now that I've upgraded the suspension on my "other" bike, the TA seems especially soft and is on the top of the list for winter mods. Here's my plan:

Progressive heavy-duty fork springs
    Hyperco shock spring - 10-15% stiffer than stock
    Stainless steel brake line
    New clutch and throttle cables (damn they're stiff now)
    New water pump (I've had the pump on my bench for a couple months now)

Hopefully I'll be able to do this again next spring without bottoming out:

Attached Files:

15. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    Well, you should have a nice long cold winter to do all those things! :lol3

Hey, I can talk... I'm from WI. :nod

Great jump shot! :thumb

I go back and forth on the strip down of my TA. Do I totally strip it down into an enduro monster or just go buy a DR650 or something that's already light? Not sure.
  16. arroyoshark

arroyoshark Needing some space

Oddometer:
    Interesting...so was I, long, long ago. SW WI :freaky
  17. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:

SE for me. Lake Geneva area. I went to the U of WI at Whitewater. Used to ride Mt. Bikes in that wonderful Kettle Moraine area.

In fact... I raced up in Hayward (in Transalper land) at the BIG 40 miler mountain bike race. You know, the one Greg Lemond used to do.

Fall was best. I hated the humid summers and bitter cold winters.

WA is great for weather (a bit hot this summer), but I do miss the changing of the seasons. Yeah, you can go up to the mountains and get that...

There is something cool about having it all around you... it really gives the feeling of time passing. Here in Vancouver, WA... damn if you could forget what the hell month it was if not for a calendar! :lol3

I do like it here better for sure. There are so many things open to us here. This is true of a lot of the west. Lots of places to go... and the gov isn't trying to protect you from yourself doing it.
  18. transalper

Oddometer:
    It was in the 40s on my ride in this morning, so it feels like winter is getting close already.

IMHO, converting the TA into an Enduro Monster will be a fun project. Will the monster enduro TA ever be as good off-road as a nicely set-up DR or XRL or LC4? Probably not. It just depends where you want to spend your time. Working on the project or riding. ;)
  19. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    I hear ya! I always lean towards my TA. I'm a tink'r for sure. I love doint mods and such. Keeps me balanced.

Hey, I just saw that you're a water resources dude. Cool! That's what I was doing in college. My BS degree is in Environmental Geography (Geology minor). I did an internship with the DNR testing water quality by the invertebrates found in the local streams. I also did an internship with the National Weather Service as a weather monitor at the Madison airport. Let's see... I also worked with the WI DNR on soil erosion in the Kettle Moraine area. Did a little research paper on it. I really like that kind of work.

Funny... I'm a Land Rover mechanic. Yeah, I got hooked on these a long time ago. After finishing my degree I thought I'd like to give wrench'n a go. I dig it still, but sometimes I wish I was using my brain more... you know... to it's fuller potential!

Life is strange... you never knows what's around the corner or what the hell you're going to do when you get there.

BTW... what's the job you got? Tell me more about it.
  20. transalper

Oddometer:
    I'm one of those brainwashed, overregulated zombies who loves to spout it to others. :wink: I work for a Soil and Water Conservation District (yes, the government!) and work with private and public landowners to improve wildlife habitat and water quality. I also inspect construction sites for proper erosion controls. Nice thing is I get to take the TA out on some of my rounds.

Here are some pics of some streambank stabilization projects I've done. Notice the TA??
    http://www.dakotacountyswcd.org/images/girgen/g50900_dwn.jpg
    http://www.dakotacountyswcd.org/images/stegmaier/s50900_dwn.jpg