The "LONG TERM" WaspWorks Super Tenere, in detail and the evolution - Part 2

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Wasp, Apr 4, 2012.

1. javierbta

javierbta n00b

Oddometer:
    Does any one knows where can I buy the 25mm raising link for the ST, I tried the the adventuremoto from Australia and they don´t ship to Colombia.

Is there any other store where I can find them?
  2. Thagua

Thagua Let's go adventuring...

Oddometer:
  3. javierbta

javierbta n00b

Oddometer:
  4. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    WOW - I would'nt have thought but it's been 4 months to the day since I posted here.
    In my own defense though I have been very busy on a number of different projects (non of them ADV bike oriented) so my energy has been focused elsewhere.

On with the story....

Dont get me wrong, I love the S.W.Motech Trax product, but I.M.H.O they completely fu@ked up when they designed the frames to locate the position of these boxes on the Super Tenere...

1 - The boxes sit too low = WAY TOO LOW !!!... Low to the point that, god forbid someone is stupid enough to punt a fully loaded S10 into any sort of soft'ish stuff, they run the risk of leaving an ankle and half a leg (from mid tibia/fibula down) dragging under the box with any sort of "foot-on-ground" work.
    And, they SIT SO LOW THEY LOOK UGLY..

2 - These frames were designed for 37ltr L/H (exh side) box and 45ltr R/H box... I wanted 37ltr both sides so you end up with a cock-eyed looking setup with the right box close in, and the left box out to clear the muffler.

3 - The boxes dont sit straight in line on the bike. For reasons only the designer would know, the boxes both sit angled along the length of the bike = The leading edges of both boxes are outboard considerably compared to the rear. The right box more so than the left.

4 - Did I say they SIT SO LOW THEY LOOK UGLY?

Anyway, I have very rarely used this luggage since getting it as I believe they SIT SO LOW THEY LOOK UGLY and had always planned on doing this re-positioning mod.
    With Fathers day yesterday my wife says "why dont you go up to the shed and tool around/chill for the day".
    I have been thinking about this mod particularly in the last couple of weeks as myself and a group of friends are planning our 3 day SouthWest of Western Australia "freedom tour" in two months from now and I will prolly end up being the pack mule for the bunch, so with the prompting from the wife, up to the shed I went for the day..

This pic shows the normal location of the boxes, with the right hand box installed as a set up guide for for and aft positioning..
    [​IMG]

I cut all the mounting arms of the left side box frame,
    [​IMG]

and set up a board across the seat to temporarily fasten the left side box in position allowing a nice close relationship with the muffler.
    [​IMG]

I then cut and tack welded the support tubes in place to be able to remove the temporary straps and support board so that I could repeat the procedure for the right hand box.

You can see the dramatic difference in height (100mm or 4") between the location from original and modified.
    [​IMG]

Both support frames now sit very much higher to the point where they dont even look too bad when riding without the boxes on.
    [​IMG]

The end result = Balanced width from side to side + up at a safe/good looking height + true along the centre line of the bike.
    [​IMG]

Looks a lot nicer in my opinion (and thats all that matters here).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all I am thoroughly pleased with this modification...
    Just got to weld it up and powdercoat it now and we are ready for the freedom tour 2012..

Greg.
  5. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    absolutely beautiful....love the Ohlins and wheels...well done! :clap
  6. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    And probably stronguer. The frames are in a strait angle so they wouldn't bent so easily if you fall.
    Well done, much better looking as well :clap
  7. CANNONMAN

CANNONMAN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greg, Did you ever get any of the high fender kits done and sent to me? Please!
  8. SpeedStar

SpeedStar XT1200Z and DL650

Oddometer:
    The new mounts look so much better. Way to go Greg. I wish mine were the same. Any plans to offer modified racks if we send ours in?
  9. fredz43

fredz43 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Illinois (right by that road with a curve in it)
    Once again, great craftsmanship, Greg. In my case, I wouldn't mind if the racks were modified so that there wasn't the taper front to back, but I prefer them in the lower position they are in right now. I think they look fine there, keep the weight lower and with my 30 inch inseam, I already have to be careful swinging my leg over or I will drag my boot on the right side bag. It would be even more difficult for me if they were higher.
  10. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Workin on it mate - There are a number of folks that would like the same thing. I have most of the components here but just need to get them to the press guys, and then find the time to put it all together.

Not even the faintest blip on the radar Speedy. These are done by me for me, but I am happy to post up any pics required if anyone wanted to replicate. It's not that hard to do really as long as you have access to the tools, and can weld or can locate someone to do that phase for you.

More on the mods:

The other thing that has always pissed me off was the height that the centre box sat as well.
    I plan on dropping the top box around 3" from it's current location and sitting it on an all encompassing rear frame, ala BMW R1200GSA.
    To do this I will obviously have to remove the rear grab bars but I will incorporate new ones into the rear rack.

This is about where it will end up:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the BMW-GSA rear rack configuration is excellent - Super strong and very tidy/functional.
    [​IMG]

Greg.
  11. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    You’re right the GSA racks are excellent.
    The only problem they have is how long it takes to remove all the stuff so you end carrying always all the bars.
    But also they protect quite well the bike.

As always good work Greg. :clap
  12. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Yeh, I know what you are saying Jaumev but I will not be manufacturing the side box frames. The intention is to fabricate a rear horizontal rack (+ grab handle) reasonably similar to what you see here.

[​IMG]

Greg.
  13. tsak8

tsak8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    GR8 looking and working bike!!!
    If only i had your talent and skills..and bike:D
    :freaky
  14. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent.
    The only thing I don't understand about the GSA is why the top case doesn't fix directly to the rear rack. There is another metal part between the rack and the case fixed to them with some screws, so easier to steel it and more weight.
    If you do it probably you can make it more simple and lighter.
    Good luck!
  15. drklxdl

drklxdl n00b

Oddometer:
    What model of soft tail bag do you have? Shown in pix in the May postings.

Thanks
  16. CANNONMAN

CANNONMAN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where oh where is WaspWorks? Greg, did you ever get the S10 Front Fender High Bracket and dual front brake line system into production? I could really use both please! Thanks
  17. wolftrax

wolftrax Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ditto on where oh where is WaspWorks

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk HD
  18. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suspect that he's just very busy. He does work for a living, after all. And it's summer Down Under.
  19. Hack'dTiger

Hack'dTiger Ride more. Worry Less.

Oddometer:
    ...and don't forget the fork guards! :evil
    Nice work for sure, and I'd love to be able to sport some warez! :deal
  20. Dallara

Dallara Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer:

Have you checked out these alloy ones from Jaxon at RideOnADV?

http://www.rideonadv.com/Ride_On_Adv/fork_guards.html

[​IMG]
    (more pictures if you follow the link above)

Jaxon at RideOnADV is also starting to import from Europe a limited number of Yamaha "Worldcrosser" parts and pieces...

http://www.rideonadv.com/Ride_On_Adv/Home.html

Which includes the "Worldcrosser" carbon fork guards...

[​IMG]

And he's in Texas.

Just FYI...

Dallara

~