Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Just Bob

Just Bob Been There Done That

Oddometer:
    Bump for the baddest-ass bike on the internerds.

2. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if the Athena 290 head gasket is the same dimensions as the OEM gasket?
  3. Sewerat

Sewerat Cert. bike whore

Oddometer:
    Just noticed that I lost my right side cover sometime in the last week. :( and it was the one with my DrCool sticker on it. Now I need to figure out if I want a new colour or stay with stock blue and white.
  4. NL-Patrick

NL-Patrick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't know what the shipping costs will be ?! It could use a little paint because there is some rust on the rack.

Gr Patrick
  5. MotoPundit

MotoPundit MacGyver

Oddometer:
    I don't know, but I'm sure the shipping costs from Europe to Canada would be rather costly, especially for a bulky package.

6. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think Dave would appreciate the irony of it being lost somewhere on the road.
  7. Gfacter

Gfacter Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. cozmo2312

cozmo2312 Canyon Carver

Oddometer:
  9. pfy50

pfy50 Professional nOOb

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

I was out for a equipment check ride and seem to have loss top end. I have the usual mods AIS,Flapper, Open airbox, FMF Power bomb and Q4 muffler, and FMF programmer set @ 3.3.(1.5).8.4.4. The engine check light came on for about 5 minutes and I seem to have no W.O.T. I have it geared @ 13/43 Stock and can barely get up to 70-71mph and 8500rpm max; I had it gear up to 13/47 and have had it up to mid 80's previously. I'm suspecting a problem with the FMF fuel programmer (only 2 months old).
    Anyone have any ideas or a similar problem or post that was corrected.?[​IMG]
  10. SuperD!

SuperD! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where Portlandia is more than just a TV show.
  11. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Check your air filter...
  12. doxbike

doxbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found a local 2010 WR250R with just over 350 miles on it with an asking price of $3600. Thought it sounded good and with all the great reviews on here and elsewhere, I went to look at it and was disappointed as could be. My XT225 (that I shouldn't have sold) handled so much better and easier that I couldn't believe it. Handle bars seem very narrow and bike feels very short in the wheelbase).Very twitchy and wouldn't hold a line worth a damn in the corners (pavement). Owner is clueless, thought he raised it by putting 18" tires on it (front was 21"), didn't look at the back. He has made no mods except dull black decals over the blue and white graphics. He said it was really fast and had had it to 115 mph?? Seemed really doggy to me. What am I missing here?
  13. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great price with low miles.
  14. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    Did you take any pictures of the bike in question? Sounds like the seller may have cluelessly tinkered with other parts of the bike too.
  15. Gfacter

Gfacter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    115? I don't think so.

Might just need new tires or even just more air in them?
  16. Gfacter

Gfacter Adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. byron555

byron555 Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My wr suffered the same way as this one.... PO, good intentions, and stupid as the day is long, really F*cked up the suspension settings height adjustments and compression/dampening settings. My dad bought it first, and I helped with the adjusting of the fork and shock ride height while on a trip in the U.P. Results where overwhelmingly positive, twitchiness was gone, handling was night and day. We got the compression/dampening better too, but not great.

Fast forward 1.5 years later, my dad sold it to me as is and cheap ($2200). I figured the back shock was blown by the way it rode, searched the internet for a good baseline start for settings and dialed them in on the whole bike. Problem solved, that was this March and I have since put on 6000 miles this season. I did add some farkles from my old bike, wider bars etc

Power wise, coming from an xt225 it should have been night and day. Did you get it into the higher rpms? If you drive it like a crf230L (similar to an xt225) and keep the RPMs low to mid it will feel like a dog
  18. woofer2609

woofer2609 Less flow, more Gnar

Oddometer:
    My exact impressions of the wr coming from an xt225. I keeping my 225 until I have really tuned the wr to fit my needs.
    The price sure sounds right. The XT has gobs of low end torque, which is what is missing from the wr's, but I'm assuming that either the xt is the most underappreciated gem in the world, or wr's just need to be tuned in to the rider for full enjoyment, hence all their popularity (and 2100! pages on this thread)
    I hope/think the latter.:clap
  19. xy500

xy500 Loser

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you need to do more cardio and less weights then.
    Sand is where it's at.
  20. GSF1200S

GSF1200S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, if any of you are looking to sell a WR250R and are somewhat near Pensacola, PM me :ear

I think I purchased the wrong bike when I got my DR :cry