MOTUS: New Sport Tourer built in Alabama

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Reverend12, Sep 23, 2009.

1. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    That's what I've asked more than once in this thread.. I now understand their target demographic is someone with lots of cash. :D

For a sub 500 lbs minimalist sport tourer, besides the Multistrada 1200, there's also the new Kawasaki Z1000SX (aka Ninja 1000). 136 hp in stock form (gain 12 hp if you put a race exhaust on it and you drop 20 lbs), 3 position adjustable screen on the fly, panniers / topcase available, upright riding ergos, available ABS, a torque monster of an engine and all for around $12K in the US.

So, again, what is the target demographic for Motus? Someone who doesn't want a full fledged 600 or 700 lbs sport tourer, a la Concours14, someone who wants the caché of this "exclusive" bike, and he must really want that engine and forego having ABS, as it's now available on just about every bike in this segment (except the FZ1 in US/Canada).

If they were selling the base bike for $20K there would be a lot more cheers than jeers. Good luck to them. I hope they succeed.
  2. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:

+1
  3. Against the Wind

Against the Wind I'm older now but still runnin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Americans don't like naked bikes. Street fighters never sold well here. Europeans on the other hand love those. Stripping the fairing off the base bike won't do much to lower the $31000 price.
  4. JJGeo

JJGeo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No it isn't. That's the dry weight, despite what Ducati likes to claim on their website. One of the US mags weighed one. Still a light bike...but not that light.

My SMT is that light wet with a full tank though (I've weighed it). After pushing both around I can also say the SMT is definitely lighter.

I'm with you though...I'd take either over the Motus...even though I think the Motus is cool.
  5. Doug Piranha

Doug Piranha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The disappointment I feel, and maybe others too, is that the carrot just got pushed too far out of reach. It's a unique bike that was intriguing enough to make me think...hmm... what if they they're still in business in a year or two and the base bike is $25K? I just might be in the market. Now though, the amount that would be a real stretch at 25k is blown out of the water. I enjoy sport touring bikes and like a lightweight and powerful one. I have a Multi 1200 and love it. They charge what they have to charge to make money, but they've missed the price point to stay in business IMO. First year, yes...long term doubtful.

Still though, it's a false argument to say you can buy 3 brand XYZ bikes for this and they make as much power, or they have ABS or whatever. The guys who are in the market for this bike aren't comparing it to XYZ. The same arguments have been made in letters to Car & Driver and other mags for years when people say something like "I can buy 13 Camaros for the price of that F40, the buyers must be stupid!"
  6. EetsOK

EetsOK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a marvelous idea so these bikes will sell: Sell the rights to Polaris, paint it bright red, slap "Indian" on the side and voila! New Indian 4!
  7. apessino

apessino Long timer

Oddometer:
    And what magazine would that be? The MS1200 has been measured all over the place in the last two years, the weight was always around 480 lbs. wet, fully fueled.

Are you sure you are not thinking of the "touring S" version with both bags, top box and center stand on? That one, also fully fueled, comes up to about the same as the MTS (claimed) wet weight.
  8. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    I'm waiting for someone to report that they slide forward on the seat, right onto their SCROTUS.
  9. AZbiker

AZbiker Say hi to the bad guy

Oddometer:
    And right after that, I ran over a nail and the tire done BLOWTUS.
  10. xtop20A

xtop20A Banned

Oddometer:
    that hotus blowtus
  11. OldPete

OldPete Be aware

Oddometer:
    :D
    So the Motus thread has been reduced to Life of Brian... Bigus Dickus.
  12. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    A quick search turned up these offerings on the Multi's test weight:

Owner thread on another forum: one owner measured 520lbs with full tank, incl. bracket for top-box (but no box or bags); another measured 480lbs with three-quarter tank.

Motorcyclist magazine comparison with GS: 518lbs with full tank; 486lbs with tank empty. Clues in the text suggest that is with factory panniers fitted (but empty). [The GS weighed in at 569lbs/537lbs.]

Motorcycle USA adventure tourer comparo: 561lbs wet with bags, which in the pics incl. top-box. ("Only 3 lbs lighter than the BMW", which in pics did not have a top-box, so the methodology here somewhat doubtful).

Of course, nobody has had a Motus on the scale yet AFAIK apart from the builders. Difficult to believe it is only 10-20lbs up on the Multistrada.
  13. apessino

apessino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah - that is what I thought... those are all touring versions and they have a bunch of extra metal brakets and a centerstand - remove them and you've got around 480 lbs. A whole bunch of magazines around the world tested the bike over the last two years... :1drink

When you consider everything the MS1200 S has and the Motus does not it is just damn impressive what Ducati has been able to achieve.
  14. apessino

apessino Long timer

Oddometer:
    One more thing - I have not seen a catalytic converter in any of the Motus pics (a major source of added weight).

I remember reading their goal was to be emission-compliant without a cat in virtue of the direct injection system - now that they are doing FI are they going to have to fit a cat just to be street legal?
  15. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes
  16. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    If I was going to blow 30 large on a bike me.

I can cruise around just fine on my 12 year old Speed Triple and I already have a track bike, so I can go either way.
  17. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:

Are you sure about that? Everybody is selling them here, in multiple models and sizes. I'm sure the Sport touring market here is FAAAARRRR smaller the naked bike market in the US.
  18. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:

Ah yes, I see your point. :D And it's a good one.

i was heading in a different direction. I'm a bit handicapped here by unfamiliarity with US price points, but it occurs to me that there are bikes out there comparable in price with the Motus, which seem to sell in Motus numbers.

I am thinking "R" version Ducati superbikes, the BMW HP2S, Bimotas, etc.

Or as you say, the Panigale tri at $US28K is just about there.

The observation that you could get similar performance from a run-of-the-line second-hand Japanese Superbike for a third of the price doesn't faze these buyers.

Which is fine, if that is what you are looking for.

It seems to me Motus is claiming to offer something equally valuable to people looking, to the exclusion of other options, for a sporty tourer (with comfortable pillion capacity).

Saying you'd get a Panigale instead just means you are not one of those people.
  19. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    The monkey in the room being that Sport-touring is a niche-of-a-niche market.

So great the bike is relatively light, pretty sporty and pretty comfortable. Other than being made in America what sets this bike apart? I can put bags and Ohlins suspension on a ZX-14 and keep the price under 20,000 bucks and the bike will weight the same, have a 50HP RWHP advantage and be as comfortable.....and is more likely to still be in business in 10 years.

So I hope they make a fortune selling that motor to Indy Car or something. I'm not sure how they are going to sell those bikes. They are cool enough but there are too many special conditions.

Their entire model is based around finding 300 fanatical patriots that have 30 grand to throw around for the sake of exclusivity, and that enjoy sport touring.

How many Hayden's are there, again? :lol3
  20. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Maybe if they sell 200 of them in a year, they can drop the price $2-5K and sell 300, then drop the price another $2-5K, etc.

I'm holding out for this kind of thinking...

However, I can't afford one until the price comes down to less than $10K so it doesn't make a difference to me :lol3

Maybe they can cut that V4 in half in put in a smaller bike called the MOT. :hide