Suzuki GS500 thread?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by LasseNC, Feb 11, 2012.

1. LasseNC

LasseNC XSessive!

Oddometer:
    Did I miss it? I can't be the only one here :ear
  2. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. LasseNC

LasseNC XSessive!

Oddometer:
    Link is not working for me :/
  4. bobfab

bobfab Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    x2 on the link. I dont think there is an official GS500 thread here on ADV, but i feel as though it is starting right now :freaky

Heres mine red & 23 years young.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think of upgrading frequently, but the fact is you cant kill this plucky thing and there arent many cheaper motorcycles to own, maintain and insure!
  5. TonyKZ1

TonyKZ1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your GS500 looks pretty good! The bike is on my list of next or upgrade bikes. What is that windscreen you've installed on it?
    Thanks, Tony
  6. dogjaw

dogjaw plays well alone

Oddometer:
    My first "real" relationship with a bike was a naked 93 GS500E, put over 10k on her, then thought I needed something bigger... Fast forward five years and three bikes later, just bought my wife a 05 500F, and I can't believe how much fun this bike is to ride bone stock. Gstwin.com is the best site for this bike, great bunch of guys, and the mods are endless.
  7. bobfab

Oddometer:
    The guy above me has some sort of fairing windscreen on it. Mine is a National windscreen F16 model.
  8. Heyload

Heyload Bent but not broken

Oddometer:
    The red fairing looks like the OEM one. I had a red '91. Loved that bike.
  9. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    It was a Targa, painted by the PO with what appeared to be a brush, in close but not quite the OEM red.

[​IMG]

I never should have sold it - perfect city/spare bike that could do spot touring duty, and cheap.
  10. bobfab

Oddometer:
    Targa... ah ha! That name escaped me!

I fear by selling i will reach the same conclusion as many previous owners: No cheaper fun!
  11. Heyload

Heyload Bent but not broken

Oddometer:
    Ah, the bigger picture helps. I had the stock OEM fairing on mine, it was somewhat smaller than the targa.
  12. R-A-M-O-N

R-A-M-O-N Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone, ill take advantage of this thread to ask for an opinion, im selling my bandit and i had an offer for a 92 gs 500 plus cash. Initially i was thinking no but i may consider it if the bike is in great shape, i always wanted to had a 500.

What i would like to know if you can suggest things to be aware on this type of model with that kind of age, did they have any particular weak spots like regulator or mechanical issues or something else?

Thanks.
  13. JamesG

JamesG Rabid Poster

Oddometer:
    If you are seriously considering the bike you should register and ask over on www.gstwin.com . You will get lots of input.
    letsgetw3ird likes this.
  14. R-A-M-O-N

R-A-M-O-N Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks nice to see there is a big active community over there and so far ive read that besides petcock issues like my bandit, there are no mayor things to worry about, it seems to get good mileage too. I was looking to trade for something a lot newer but If the one that im offered is mint i may end up riding one.
  15. JamesG

JamesG Rabid Poster

Oddometer:
    Yep, except for minor stuff, they really are bullet proof bikes.
  16. dogjaw

dogjaw plays well alone

Oddometer:
    This is my 93 right after I put the Avon Roadriders on her, some of the best tires for the GS or any standard IMO; stick like glue and seem to wear forever.[​IMG]
  17. ZZ-R Rider

ZZ-R Rider Average Guy

Oddometer:
    Man!! LOVE the looks of the naked GS500s with the bikini cowl on the front ... especially in red ... REALLY nice!
  18. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    IMO, they sorta screwed the pooch in '03 when they put that huge 'sorta gsxr' fairing on them and created the GS500F model.

There is a sweet spot from around 99 to 01 when they had a bigger tank, better seat, and all the same mechanicals. Even now they are the same underneath.

I learned to rebuild carburetors on that bike, then never bought another carbureted bike. :lol3

Easy bike to wrench on though, on the rare occasions that there is reason to.

[​IMG]
  19. mhpr262

mhpr262 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a brand new one for two years, but I sold it, because I looked a bit ridiculous on it (6'3'', 270lbs) and no matter how I twisted the throttle it would not do more than 80 mph, I´m still not sure whether there was something wrong with the bike or if that was due to my size, which I find hard to believe... I did the first three tours in my sigline on it.
  20. JamesG

JamesG Rabid Poster

Oddometer:
    With stock gearing it maxes out at 94mph as IRC. Yes a 496cc aircooled twin with twenty something HP is only going to go so far.