Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Johnny Drunkard

Johnny Drunkard Todo utz

Oddometer:
    Which KTM?
  2. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    500exc
  3. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I just pulled the trigger on my 2" roll of Scotch Rubber Mastic tape for field dressing a bleeding engine case. I'll break you off a piece if you come visit. I have 10' and only need one.
    http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Rubber.../ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

[​IMG]
    I also picked up a new roll of DOT-DOT-C2 Reflective Conspicuity Tape. I cant get enough of this stuff. I have it plastered all over my bike. I need some more to put on the trailer too.
    http://www.amazon.com/DOT-C2-Reflec...64853922&sr=1-12&keywords=dot+reflective+tape
  4. rockymountainoyster

rockymountainoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great plan Trice! What are you going to do for training for this one? It is going to be hot in Baja in September. I recommend that you get your hands on some Suero Electrolite, the coconut flavor isn't bad. It costs about 22.50 pesos/litre and will replace the electrolites you lose through perspiration. It tastes a helluva lot better than f'ing GatorAde and is probably better for you. There has got to be some desert med website like there is for high altitude med. I look forward to hearing your tales! Great Adventure!
  5. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    I have the KLR version

[​IMG]
  6. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    I'm taking my Red Bull team to keep me hydrated

[​IMG]
  7. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Trust me, they will have exactly the opposite effect :D

Although in MikeMike's case it would be due to excessive drooling.

We need a couple of them on duty at The Seal Club.

Sent from my damp screen Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  8. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    That makes me wonder of this stuff would be effective in treating the runs!
  9. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lol! I did the same thing. Now it just sits in one of those boxes with a clear top. It rotates every few minutes to keep it wound. Sometimes my wife and I catch it while it spins in that box. We say, "Wow! What a fucking waste of money that trinket was."

On the way! :D

Ya know I see guys like that down there all the time. At one point I used to try and help them. It doesn't work, so I just leave them alone now. If they wind up in a barrel of acid, oh well.
  10. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it the Rolex that was a waste or the little gizmo you bought to keep it wound ? If you're not wearing it, why do you care if its wound ?
  11. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Someone explain it to ace :D
  12. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    I've had the same stainless and gold Rolex for 28 years. Don't tune it up like I should but damn. The cost of the tuneup makes me think I'm at the Porsche dealer. So...it is just a piece of jewelry that approximates the time somewhat better than a sundial.
  13. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the watch I wear when traveling in moto. Mucho bueno!

Mucho bueno! also Hotel Roosevelt here at DF I recommend ask for week rate
  14. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    I have the kind, and I can't recommend it enough, that screws into the valve stem once you remove the core with a valve core remover. If it were made of gold I would still buy it. Simple route the whip stem of this device through the rim's valve hole and then as mentioned, screw the end into the coreless valve. Pull the valve stem through the rim, unscrew the puller, and replace the valve core. So easy, fast, simple, brilliant, that Einstein would have one. If you really want to go Big Johnson, place the valve stem locknut on the whip step #1 and when the valve is pulled through the rim you can thread the locknut before you unscrew the puller, to guarantee it ain't going anywhere.

Here it is. Zero fishing, probing, pushing, hoping. Save that for the second date. :lol3

This nifty $7 device makes the formerly hardest part of changing tubes the easiest.

[​IMG]

Tubes: I carry 2 spares per wheel size. When flatted, the flatted tube comes out and goes into storage. New tube goes in, no questions asked. I'll tend to the patching job at the hotel/home.

Nice tip on using engine oil to lube the bead/rim. Not the perfect material for the job but a good tip in a pinch. Usually, tires (tubes) flatted on a ride are pliable enough due to heat and with proper technique can be spooned in by just pinch dropping the opposite side bead into the rim's "well".

Goes without saying as most regulars here will have them, but here is an item for the tire kit as much as it is for campers:

[​IMG]

I carry two of these. Try dealing with a flat issue without this item as dusk falls and you'll never travel without at least one. Again. Ever.

And if you're over 40, carry two pair of your reading glasses. At least one pair goes into your tire flat kit (or tool kit). You know what I'm talking about.
  15. rockymountainoyster

rockymountainoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A lighted magnifying glass is also pretty useful. Don't have a photo but think I got mine at Ace or Home Depot, certainly have them in the map section at REI.
  16. NAVIGATOR

NAVIGATOR Wanderer

Oddometer:
    SOUTH OF THE USA BORDER(friendlier Mexico)
    + 1 on the Roosvelt, has a small and economic restaurant named hipodromo with good food , decorated with a huge cookoo clock
  17. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the same one. Just used it this weekend to take off the street tires and mount the dual-purpose tires.

I carry one set of tubes per wheel. Like you, when the flat occurs the flatted tube goes in storage, the new tube goes on the bike. I'll repair the flatted tube at the hotel with my patch kit.

I use Windex or camp soap. I used Windex in the garage this weekend. Your face shield spray also works well. I also carry a small bottle of camp soap for this same purpose.

I carry one with extra batteries. I also have a white canvas ground cloth. All parts and tools go on that ground cloth. It makes it easier to find the tools and parts as you do the repair, even in daylight. I also plan to be at the destination 2-hours before sunset. This leaves me contingency time if a repair incident happens so that I don't have to ride at night.

I will add that I practice my repairs in my garage with the reading glasses on and not my progressive lenses in my regular glasses. When I ride it's contact lenses, and the readers go in the tank bag. The progressives are my back up, and I carry extra contacts too.

Guys don't forget to tighten the nuts when you put the wheel back on! I almost forgot this weekend and only noticed when I took the bike off of the centerstand. I was too eager because I had essentially finished the job except for the most important part! SAFETY! :eek1

Good sidebar topic!
  18. Gun Smoke

Gun Smoke Banned

Oddometer:
    Much of the cost has to do with replacement parts. I sent my older GMT Master (1990's) in for service. It was running fine but it was 15 years old. I thought they would just take it apart, clean, lubricate, and calibrate it. For $650 bucks they put a new dial, new hands that glowed again and new bezel that was faded and shipped the old bezel, hands and dial back with the watch. They then polished out all the old scratches. When I got the watch back I was amazed. For $650 they basically sent me a new watch back. I was happy. I bought the new ceramic GMT Master a year or so ago but haven't worn it too much. I really like that watch. I also bought a Day Date with the super jubilee bracelet and that gets a lot of wrist time. Other than leather it's the most comfortable bracelet I've ever worn. The watch I wear most days and is my favorite right now is an IWC top Gun I picked up. I've been really happy with it. I love IWC and think they're actually as good or better quality than Rolex. I have an IWC spitfire too which is a cool watch. I want to get oe of the Mirimars but wonder if the green will fall out of my favor. I collect wrist watches and have a few Doxa, Ulysse Nardin, Fortis, a Navitimer and a collection of ships chronometers by Ulysse Nardin. Another brand I'm really fond of and they're tough as nails is Sinn. I have Sinn EZM 3, U1, U2 EZM 5, UX EZM 2 B. The best way to keep a collection in good shape is to keep them on winders. Don't get me started on complicated pocket watches.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    ok
  20. McFoil

McFoil Filthy Pig

Oddometer:
    Go with white gold or platinum watches. Less conspicuous. You may need something to pawn when your in a pinch. My daddy gave me that advice.