Coast to Coast (and back?) with an Italian Supermodel

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AntiHero, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Cafe Racer

Cafe Racer Calspeed

Oddometer:
    Inspired? Yes, I suppose. But I went through a very similar episode in my life. A long term relationship with a gal that decided that she needed to suddenly " go ". The "it's not you" BS.

This began my " journey". My episode of wander. My living life close to the edge. I left what I hadn't lost and...

That was just over 5 years ago.

I am now good but memories will always remain. And for me that is a good thing. But I still find solace with the open road. And in a few months I will be on the highway with my SuperDuke. Destination not known.

When you make it up to the Bay Area feel free to contact me. We can get dining in the City. Always love good food and conversation.

As to the inspiration. I think I will limit myself to just a tank bag and a backpack. (And debit card)

Miguel
  2. Stixx

Stixx Fast for an Old Fart

Oddometer:
    I'm starting to think the same way, I've been camping the GS way and carrying about a hundred pounds worth of gear and sleeping in a tent rain or shine cold or hot and now I'm going to be seventy this year i'm thinking hotel motel and hostel is the way to go and who needs more than a few days worth of underwear. That is what they make laundry mats for is it not. ?
  3. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    SuperDuke! Nice. Hopefully you get at least 300-400 miles away before you lose your license, hooligan. :)

I'll be in the Bay Area soon....
  4. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    LA: Though I never quite felt at home there, I felt at home when I returned. And though I had a short time there--3 months in 2010, 9 in 2011-12, I seem to have no shortage of lucid memories. There's some sort of special significance Los Angeles has that I don't understand yet, like some clue in a David Lynch or Tarantino movie that will only reveal its purpose to me at some later date.

I had no idea what I was going to do. I thought traveling around the country would give me clarity. I thought I'd have found at least 3 or 4 cities where I'd want to live. I thought I'd be sick and tired of Kwai Chang Caining it around the US. But I had no clarity and I didn't want to stop. But none-the-less, I had to. I had projects and ideas and financial things to attend to. I needed to stay in one place for at least a few weeks so I could get my affairs in order, so to speak. My ex offered to let me stay with her for a few days, but the lease was up on our old place, so that wasn't a long-term solution.

The facts were:
    • I had no home
    • I didn't want one
    • I couldn't stop
    • I couldn't keep going (winter)

There was a rather bulletproof FJ sitting there in the driveway, though. And just like that plan for ADV v1.2 began.

I took the rest of my belongings and put 'em into storage and snapped one last pic of the odometer. And like I had done six months earlier, I hit the ignite button and roared off.
    [​IMG]

My last ride was sobering. And sad. And depressing. Getting onto the freeway I gave her wide open throttle through the gears, one last rush, one last taste of freedom for both of us. She thought that perhaps we were going to San Diego again, or Mexico, or even downtown. Or maybe to a new cool photo shoot location.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I indulged her vanity, snapped a bunch of shots, then carefully worked my hand down her left side to disconnect power while HAL's "Daisy" echoed slower and slower in my mind. It was the hardest thing I'd done the entire trip. I knew we'd be eventually be reunited, but as I backed her in with the rest of my things I couldn't help feel that I was burying my playmate and mistress and no small part of myself.

[​IMG]
    duhrider and Sneeze Juice like this.
  5. West Isles

West Isles Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank's Man, thank's a lot.....
  6. acynic

acynic nOOb+

Oddometer:
    Thanks to HFL/RideApart for picking this up.
    I started reading this two days ago (between riding, of course) and just finished. My eyes burning from reading for too long.
    Absolutely riveting to say the least. I've lurked on here for quite a while, and have read many interesting adventures, but I find this one to top them all. Your adventure and experiences were so well written.
    Thanks so much for taking all of us along for the ride. Truly incredible!

I think there are a few dreams I need to hunt down and devour. :D
  7. pwh

pwh Just Farkin' GO

Oddometer:
    Been following since the beginning... "The biggest challenge of the trip was to walk out the door, get on the bike, and ride."

Jeezus, ain't that the F'n truth.

So many reasons not to get up, but at the same time, how many should really matter to me, or anyone? If/when I let go, this sentence will be the final shove out the door.

On a lighter note:

Original FJ(40/60/62/80) or a 'new' one? Either way, pics of the Yota!

I can only guess where you were headed (Dakar?! if the timing was right). Godspeed. :1drink
  8. goodcat8

goodcat8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll have zero problem following an Antihero FJ ride report on ADV.
  9. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    Putting that bike away could not be easy. Hec, your story promoted me to visit Pro Italia today just to go sit on a Panigale. While doing so I mentioned your name and story to my salesperson friend and we talked about your trip. An amazing feat given the bike's range and style, you could sell a lot of them. :D

Believe it or not, your story has made me want to buy one!
  10. Mo-Tarded

Mo-Tarded Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On stopping: I = MA (Squared)<squared> in both directions. One is negative.

On Tarantino: There's a Norm's restaurant around the corner. I'll buy... :)

Thank-you...</squared>
  11. mart´n

mart´n Viking

Oddometer:
    No matter what happens in your life, don´t ever quit writing, ´cause you are so goddamn good at it!

Even if the next ride or journey is far far away - keep writing in here. This r.r has been my daily medicine, and it is hard to imagine life without that daily shot. Hell, you could write about flowers, and I would still check in now and then :D

Stay safe, and if your european journey takes you by Denmark, don´t hesitate to pm me - you are always welcome in my house.

Thx!
  12. ///Monster

///Monster Does it have wheels?

Oddometer:
    I'd follow an Anti-Hero Toyota FJ Alaska Winter Trip. Just saying....
  13. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful

Oddometer:

:huh

Sorry for the long quote - but damn man... I first read this post on Friday night, and have come back to it many times over this weekend. I think you absolutely nailed this. Without getting into my past, I feel many of the same emotions as you wrote about here, and, like you, I've never not felt at peace while on a bike.

It's funny, I have considerable anxiety sitting at my work desk, but holding open the throttle aboard a 80hp death machine calms me, and makes me content with life as it is at that moment. I've also found this while dirtbiking - time slows, and I can sense and feel the trees coming inches from my body at speed, but my heart rate is probably slower than it is currently as I'm typing this, and I don't feel as if I'm in any sort of danger.

You have an incredible gift. I think I speak for many of us when I say it would be a considerable waste of astounding talent if you don't persue professional writing. All the best, please ride safely. And thank you. :clap
  14. Sgt93

Sgt93 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl

On a side note, I feel like shedding a tear now that this report is over. Talk about one fantastic read. Thank you so much for letting us share your journey. This report has been especially helpful to me as I have endured 3 shoulder surgeries in a year, 2 during your ride report. Once I recover, and I WILL recover, I am going to buy a Panigale and make my own ride report. It may not amount to yours, but I cannot wait to get back on a bike and ride. -Steve
  15. Mo-Tarded

Mo-Tarded Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Steve, On the contrary, for many of us, the trip (and ride reports) have just begun.
  16. wantingaduc

wantingaduc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been reading this ride report since you started it AH, and now that were reaching it's conclusion I wanted to write and thank you for it. While I'm not going to pitch my current life for a vagabond exsistance on 2 wheels, I can tell you have inspired me to live my life more fully and enjoy the things that come my way.

You have a real talent for writing and I have really enjoyed every word you've put out here. I can only hope you continue to write and update us on your continuing journeys.

As for your photographs, as someone who has spent most of his life behind a camera lens I have to say you've delivered some impressive images. They have added greatly to the whole report, although I will say no matter how many times I see them, the "delicious food" shots just don't do much for me. I have downloaded about 20 of your roadside pictures and use them regularly as my wallpaper at work. It reminds me that there's life outside the 4 walls of an office.

Thanks again for bringing all of us along with you, and good luck with all you do with your life!

jimi
  17. 3B43

3B43 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First of all, a buddy of mine sent me this RR, saying 'you and this guy have alot in common'. I started reading have communicated with Dennis a few times.

Cafe Racer, FWIW...you're not alone....."That was over five years ago".......

I built two houses by myself, the last one because my wife wanted acreage for her horses. Kitchen addition, big barn, 1000' of fencing/etc (you get the picture).....and I retired early, turning down a promotion/more $$$ because she wanted me 'out of that fucking job'! I couldn't really argue with her there. I've never been more content! and then.....a year after I retired, she wanted a change....the change being me leaving. Yeah, a divorce! That was five years ago.............

I crawled off, dragging my severed heart, soul, spirit and 'being' and tried to heal up. Can't say I wandered. More like a blind man in a large room trying to find a door and then realizing that there is no door! I have to climb out! Learned alot about ME during my climb out of th at room! Learned ALOT, but am fightin certain aspects of 'me'.

Cut to today.....in a much better place! I've taken numerous road trips, over the last 2+ years, and have a few planned for this year. A new bike is sitting in the garage (MultiStrada) and.......have a new woman that 'understands what moves me'! Ain't life interesting!

As Dennis said....I've never been on my bike without having totally clarity/calmness/peace! My mind is in neutral, but totally focused. Some buddy's of mine ride listening to music and want to know why I don't. Simple....when my helmet goes on, I'm totally alone in my own world and I don't want outside influences!

Cafe.....I'm bout 5 hrs north of you in Humboldt county. You ride this way.....
  18. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:

2007 FJ. Pop had an FJ40, spent lots of time in the back of that thing smacking my head against the rollbar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    duhrider likes this.
  19. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    :) You and Monster are really tempting me.

Jimi: Thanks for the comments. As much as I seemed to have encourage all of you, it's comments like the ones on this page that encourage me to continue and push me to figure out how to keep going.

An easy way to keep track of me now and in the future:
    http://www.tumblr.com/blog/antihero-x
    Twitter works, too, but Tumblr is far easier to follow. ​

Steve: You and me both. I was extremely sad when it ended and still am. But there will be another and I'm going to spend the next few months focusing on writing. May not be the next Zen and the Art, but it will be better than this, I assure you:

[​IMG]

oalvarez: Write the check, max the card, you won't regret it. And once you're better, Steve--you do the same!

Mo-Tarded: you're very welcome. May hit you up for Norm's. ;)

mart´n: I'll see you in Denmark. :)

moodfart: You are most welcome. And again, it's comments like yours that have given me the motivation to continue doing something I love, despite the fact that it may drive me insane (writing).

3B43:
    [​IMG]
  20. 3B43

3B43 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm....VERY interesting. Kind'a sums it up and hits home....not from a narcisstic standpoint, but from a 'centerness'! It use to be easy. My ex's biggest complaint of me was my independence....I was OK being by myself! The pressures pushed me slightly off course. Over years/decades this slight deviation causes you to be a light year from where you thought you'd be AND from who you originally were!