Why do riders park their bikes on sidewalks at hotels?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Disco Stu, Nov 4, 2013.

1. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Quoted so it is not changed.:deal

Jim :brow
  2. Sun Ray

Sun Ray Polyglottic Moran

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Sunshine is the best bestÂ… oh, never mind. :rofl
  3. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do park in hashed out areas that aren't adjacent to handicap parking, but the spot in question is in fact adjacent to, and part of, two clearly marked handicap parking stalls. Can't say why there is a cart stall in there, personally I wouldn't use that as an excuse to park there, seems like a poor choice to me....................but mind you, I'm not outraged, its just the way I see it.

I'm in good health, I don't mind sacrificing a few steps for those who aren't so fortunate.
  4. fallingoff

fallingoff Banned

Oddometer:
    Stop it
    You are embarrassing
    All motorcycle riders
    Go home get your truck
    If not take a taxi.
    Lol
    Cheers
  5. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Enjoy your holiday!:wave

:ban

Family rule is family rule, particularly after I've already had to come in here last night to tell everyone to take it down a notch.

I suggest everyone take a little break from this thread so we can all enjoy the holiday weekend together.:deal
  6. Sun Ray

Sun Ray Polyglottic Moran

Oddometer:
    My apologies to JVB for me being such a jerk. And yes, parking next to the handicap space is not cool. So I flogged my self and did 100 mea culpas. I hope everybody rode and enjoyed the Thanksgiving riding their favorite roads.
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    :freaky

8. OrangeDevil37

OrangeDevil37 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i park on the curb everywhere i go everytime i ride. go out to your bike in the parking lot sometime and find it on its side from where some douche bag pulled in thinking its open and hit your bike, then panic back up and park else where.

i honestly dont care who it pisses off. i am respectable and make sure bike is giving the most room to people that walk in the area. usually when i park im not there for a long time.

when it comes to hotels/motels. bike goes in the room or a watch is posted. i trust no one around my bike other then friends/family. another thing i hate is when strangers set on your bike casue they like it!
  9. maikhoepfel

maikhoepfel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another vote for parking on the sidewalk. In Berlin it's actually encouraged to save parking spaces. Not so much in London, it's impossible to find a legal parking spot for a bike with panniers on. And then you get fined for parking in a car space! :huh

As far as travel is concerned, I try to not care too much. Prop it up on the main stand so that kids sitting on it don't drop it, and don't keep too many exciting things on it. At the end of the day, I've got better things to do on a holiday and then worry about my bike!
  10. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Those two terms, even using proper grammar, are mutually exclusive!:deal

11. air-cooled

air-cooled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

this one is confusing, in front of the hotel seems to be a lot of space to park your bike really close to the front door without being on the side walk, but then the side walk seems to be 4 m and where the hotel is, the side walk is less than 2 m, so i think that parking on the sidewalk away from the street can't really be a problem unless you want to walk into the side wall of the hotel.

every situation where there is a hotel is different.

i parked mine bike a close as inside the pension till outside on the parking lot. i do prefer inside but in front and in sight of the hotel is fine as well, just because bikes get stolen easily and as mentioned, in europe it is the way to park you bike. but still pedestrians should not be hindered.

[​IMG]

don't worry, all though 3 m from the front door, there where only about 10 houses in this village:D.

so as i said, every place is different. and each country it's rules.

over here we parked inside because we could:rofl

[​IMG]
  12. GypsyWriter

GypsyWriter Yup, I'm a girl.

Oddometer:
    Last year, we did a ride across the country, staying mainly in hotels. I'd say at probably 75% of the places, the person at the front desk asked US if we wanted to part on the sidewalk, or along the far wall of the entrance carport. The other 20% said sure when we asked, stating most motorcyclists did it when they came through. Of the 45-day trip, there was only one place that didn't allow us to park at the entrance area when we asked, which was fine by us.
  13. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Piss poor pic. But, it shows where I stuck the bike while staying at the most expensive room for 1 I've stayed in.
    Ainsworth Hot Springs Resort in the Kootenai's, B.C.

Sorry about the oil stain, I had the cam chain adjuster seal fixed later in Montana.
  14. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    :rofl That's what was thinking, I was going to post something like your commit. But now I'll just give you the +1 :thumbup
  15. riverflow

riverflow Half Built

Oddometer:
    If it fits, I sits. Here in Kentucky, those lines are more or less designated motorcycle parking. The stripy areas are just a matter of being able to fit somewhere a car won't.
  16. Boricua

Boricua Long timer

Oddometer:
    Parking a motor vehicle on a public side walk is ilegal here. So is parking on designated no parking areas such as the diagonally striped areas in the parking lot. However, I've been offered to park under a covered area in hotels some of which are on the sidewalk. These are not public but on hotel premises. I have parked on the striped no parking areas in private parking lots but never in public ones. Private security in private parking lots will issue a warning. Only law enforcement can issue a parking ticket. I know most law enforcement officers will not issue a ticket in the circumstances in which the motorcycle is parked in the safest location as long as it is not impeding pedestrian or other traffic. In public areas you are guaranteed a ticket if you park in the striped no parking area. Kind of dual standard here.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
  17. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where's here? Fill out profile noob.
  18. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer

Oddometer:
    :nod
  19. air-cooled

air-cooled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

no parking on the road or the pavement:evil

hotel is on the right hand site
  20. Sp4rks

Sp4rks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Am I the only one who asks if my bike can be taken into the room with me?