XR650R Adventure Conversions – Sign In!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ztsd, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Sean-0

Sean-0 straya carnt

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

i had a tci rack and brace ...pulled the rack and brace off and binned it ...you can see our xrr's come with a rear fender support from the factory :evil

man racks sort of followed this ..great idea he came up with ...our subframes also are a bit different than yours as it has a few tabs welded on and some t nuts for the rear fender support to bolt to

i have removed the stock ally subframe and a mate has made some subframes exactly the same but out of steal ...very strong ..
    [​IMG]

so now i just run a rear flat rack over the fender and my giantloop bag
    [​IMG]

the bag over the tank holds fuel bladders so i can carry 50+ liters of fuel 13+gallons:evil
    timbanditos and matty86suk like this.
  2. BronkoRob

BronkoRob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure of the brand of light. I got it from a friend of a friend deal. It is very bright though. The outside 4 are floods and center 4 are spots. I used acerbis hand guard bar mount hard ware to mount the light. Yes it is mounted to the bars.

Not a fan of the cheesy plastic button with led indicator. Gonna see what's out there to swap on.
  3. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    With Bluetooth so common you think you could have a wireless remote setup and mount it to where a rider would want it.
  4. Akunin

Akunin Neo-Vegabond

Oddometer:
    damn, that's a nice frame. shame I wasn't closer I'd order one from him!
  5. Sean-0

Sean-0 straya carnt

Oddometer:
    yes they are and very very strong .....he made 4 only and has ppl pestering him for more ... but there time consuming to make and the price would be around 700 so not really a thing to make for a xrr as most ppl cant see the bigger picture and wont pay that price
  6. pigjockey

pigjockey Hognuts the T-bagger

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin A half dozen miles from ROAD AMERICA
    yer gunna need duals on that pig if you keep piling crap on the poor thing.:eek1 save some room for that project i'm making us. Looks like your tire found the fender brace. I'm working on a compression stop for the rear wheel than I think its a go on the surprise part. How does the forks handle that fuel load? I think I can get your frontend a good 25 lbs. lighter for other more important goodies (beer). You my friend might wanna consider getting a ford diesel p/u truck knock out the glass and sell that lil pig :freakyChuck
  7. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    Too much Fuel....LOL I'm happy with my 6.3 gallon tank it lets me get anywhere I need to be.

That rear subframe looks nice...yeah I think it's time if you are carrying that much for a bigger Adventure bike not to replace but to share the stable with the XR650R.
  8. Gildus

Gildus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welding aluminum supports on the side and front of the stock subframe (where breaks occur) take cares of the issue and is much lighter than a complete steel subframe. You can find posts re this mod in the XR650R forum.
  9. Sean-0

Sean-0 straya carnt

Oddometer:
    yep good luck with that ....ill take my steal frame over any ally supports you can come up with ,,,,,,
  10. Gildus

Gildus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've never heard of a properly modified (it's a major reinforcement) aluminum subframe breaking; of course if you're piling things up six feet high on a pig, maybe an all-steel subframe is the way to go.
  11. Sean-0

Sean-0 straya carnt

Oddometer:
    Six feet high haha ..unlike you day tripers ..we ride remote no fuel .water or food for days .....its actuslly only a lil bit more weight .....trust me if you seen the frames you would drop your ally subframe like a hot rock .....y bike is in excess of 50, 000miles on original bore...we ride ...we dont drink coffee at starbucks
  12. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    What is Star Bucks?
  13. Gildus

Gildus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sean-O, I think you've been around long enough to have seen the post a year or so ago describing the stock subframe reinforcement (it's massive). Just ask Mike from Manracks how strong it is; I use his fender support as well and it's worked perfectly for multi-night camping trips and long expeditions. I try to keep things as light as possible, though, to retain the XRR's handling capabilities. That takes a little planning, but it's well worth it IMO.

I've loaded the bike up to the point where it was a handful to deal with, wallowing and slow to turn, no matter where the weight was placed. At that point it stops being fun for me, so I prefer not to do it. To each his own.

I don't know what Starbucks has to do with anything...don't even drink coffee.

The XRR is a versatile machine and fits a lot of riding styles. But no one has to grossly overload their pig to be a "real man."
  14. mitchn06

mitchn06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think Gildus should find the post about the subframe reinforcement for us. I'm not sure I've seen it.
  15. luckychucky

luckychucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] This is a CycleWorks rack. I can't attest to how strong it is. Haven't had it long enough. Time will tell. I did see a pic of a TW200 that had been ass-ended with the rack. The rack looked un-scathed! This rack seems to be a subframe. I'm hoping the empty holster makes someone think, there is a guy close by with a 357, maybe I better not touch it! The shoulder bag (purse) is full of 0-shit tools, zip-ties, flat repair kit, and papers for the man. I don't think the bike is over-loaded, it's still pulls the front end off the ground in most gears. I love the wind protection.
  16. Gildus

Gildus Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. mitchn06

mitchn06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ok, yea, i remember seeing that now, it was a long time ago. look to be about where Manracks was gaining interest and building up his ideas for his company also. That reinforcement was beefy as all known.
  18. Gildus

Gildus Long timer

Oddometer:
    The steel subracks I've gotten my hands on may not be the latest ones you folks are talking about, but they were shockingly heavy.

Given the design restraints, I don't see how a steal set can be competitive with aluminum in any of the key assemssment areas.

Good luck
  19. Sean-0

Sean-0 straya carnt

Oddometer:
    no there not these are custom made here in Australia ....look all im saying is there better there tuffer they stiffen the bike up a tad i like it and so do the other owners .....ill bet my ass you can beef up the stock frame all you like and maybe it wont crack maybe it will ...but you can be sure on 1 thing .... you wont find a ally welder near you :evil

i dont carry loads of gear ... i do carry a fair amount of fuel and water ..both of which gets consumed long the days riding .....do what you like i know what works for me and i have the miles to show it ....

have a good day ..but make part of it sitting on ya bike its more fun
  20. Gildus

Gildus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hear ya. Deep into a rebuild here so it'll be a while before I can her out there. Damn weather's been good too :cry

I don't know what I was thinking!! I see now the argument over steel subframes was really about whether the aluminum jobs would be able to carry enough beer far enough and dependably enough to maintain life on a long trip. For such a critical payload, who cares about the extra weight? :)