Too old to skateboard

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by land_shark, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer

Oddometer:
    ^^^sweet. :thumb

People are incredibly inventive and creative when they don't have rules and conventions imposed on them, eh Don Ricardo?
  2. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    Even if I skateboard daily for about 25 years I was never any good, this guy takes it to a whole new lever, not only his execution is stellar but his "Boundary pushing" is remarkable.. :ricky
  3. agmoto

agmoto Gôremā

Oddometer:
    Ok, I don't know if any of you guys know about The Berrics. It's a park that 2 pro skaters started. Steve Berra & Eric Koston started it. Everything in the park has to be filmed....everything, at all times. The footage they get is downright incredible.

I've been inspired by a competition that they have called Battle At the Berrics. it's a glorified game of SKATE. This year is a competition of Pros vs Joes (regular AM skaters).

I have found this so incredibly inspiring to watch. It's even pushed me to learn some new tricks (just learned fakie bigspin heelflips & almost have inward heelflips!)

Watch this video.....if you aren't inspired to shred....check your pulse :D

http://theberrics.com/battle-at-the-berrics-7/chris-cole-vs-chris-chann.html

Andrew
  4. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    Kind of long but historic too..
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/G2bRvseoFOo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  5. HOT DAMN!

HOT DAMN! ♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer:
    :bow
  6. MotoDaveL

MotoDaveL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRSzwSzVfTM

the sound of the wheels on pavement - it sends shivers down my spine. Worse is that this is a video taken in my neighborhood and they ride past my place, its a nice long gentle slope. I used to skate through highschool but havent since. Its been 20+ years. I have snowboarded for 25+ years though so I dont know that it would be completely foreign.

I might just have to get my son a skateboard :evil
  7. Chi-Ha

Chi-Ha soft-handed crime fighter

Oddometer:
    Thanks to this thread I am now considering a board...:huh
    I'm 43 and haven't skated since I was 13 or 14.

I'm thinking of a wide board with a kicktail for tooling around the neighborhood. NO tricks, ramps, ollies, etc., for me

I'm thinking of something like this:
    http://www.tactics.com/globe/chromantic-33-cruiser-complete-longboard

Anybody know anything about the Globe chromantic. Seems like a good all around board for about $100.
    (I'd lean toward the blue, but maybe this pink isn't so bad):wink:
  8. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
  9. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:
    Seeing as how I just turned 30 I look strange walking into the local skate/surf/snowboard shop waiting in line for longboard trucks behind 14 year olds, but damn if it's not fun.

I've just picked up a Loaded Dervish Sama and it'll literally carve so hard my feet almost slide off the board. I got a Kahuna Big Stick and their ridiculous 52" longboard to take my nephew on riding around the neighborhood.

So now I can snowboard, wake board, and longboard. Now I need to learn how to paddle board, surf, um...

[​IMG]
  10. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Hell, I started surfing at 39....
  11. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    brings back lots of memories .. we were all kids back in 79 .. we'd scout out empty swimming pools to ride then visit the skatepark. I'd be skating quads vs rest of my skateboarding buddies would be on skateboards. yes everyone was babyface exactly like in video ...
  12. agmoto

agmoto Gôremā

Oddometer:
    Learned another trick I never thought possible :D. Inward heelflip

Video of a pro doing it (so likely looks better than mine :lol3)
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Fl8QbNt3BM4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I kinda had the trick figured out a few weeks ago, but it wasn't clicking. Some kids were playing SKATE at the park last night and the one kid said "just picture you're doing a backside heelflip". 3 or 4 tries later and I had it landed. The feeling was up there with the first 360 flip I ever landed. Felt even better that I could repeat the trick, albeit only one in every 5 or so tries.

Next trick I aim to learn is ollie impossibles.

Andrew
  13. Mister T

Mister T On the dole

Oddometer:
  14. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    wear lots of gear....and get ready for some of the worst injuries of your life! In the past I have played Tennis, Football, Baseball, Basketball, Soccer and many other things and in none of them did I get injured worse than while skateboarding....

having said that - the guy who I bought my Speed Triple from is a lot older than you.....and he skates pretty good

[​IMG]
  15. Heyload

Heyload Bent but not broken

Oddometer:
    The last time I got to use a skateboard was when I was 47, believe it or not.

Accidently stepped on my kid's board in a dark garage, somehow managed to stay upright between both parked cars and put a Heyload-shaped dent in the drywall.

These days I'm more interested in good lighting in my garage.
  16. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer

Oddometer:
    Great vid, good examples. I was good at Ollies on vert back when I was riding, we thought it was the coolest thing.

And the soundtrack... not bad, I like it. Here's a link to the source:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MgTSfJEf_jM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  17. Mister T

Mister T On the dole

Oddometer:
    <object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/LWOxLYpQ2kA?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/LWOxLYpQ2kA?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  18. queenpdog

queenpdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've decided to restore my mid 70's Hobie Weaver Woody. I have no intention of ever selling it, as it was the first board I bought with my own money, and I am the original and only owner. The patina was nice, but pretty unsightly for display, one of the trucks has a bent axle, so it wasn't really in rideable condition.

A few BEFORE pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far I have disassembled everything to evaluate condition.

[​IMG]

I stripped off the grip tape and sanded down the topside.

[​IMG]

Then I sanded down the bottom, after making a plan for re-applying the logo

[​IMG]

I have a couple NOS ACS 430 truck hangers on order, along with a few Hobie Weaver Woody reproduction decals. I am debating using a decal under a layer of clear coat, or creating a stencil from the decal to paint the logo on (as was original in this case).

I still need to decide on clear coat (type, etc), and source some bearings, bushings, and new king pins. The original Power Paw wheels cleaned up pretty well. I'll post up some more pics as the project comes together.
  19. Chi-Ha

Chi-Ha soft-handed crime fighter

Oddometer:
    Thats a sweet old board!
    Pics look like the wood is splitting:cry

I'm definately curious to see how this turns out!
  20. queenpdog

queenpdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    yeah, the bottom layer is splitting, but the top ply's are not. I am wondering if there is anything I can seal up the cracks with before clear coating. Very many of the old Hobies have this issue.

keep ya posted.