Stupid questions people ask you when stopped

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by cold_fire, Apr 13, 2009.

1. kerhonky

kerhonky Adventure Poser

Oddometer:
    I agree; that word is entirely misused these days by mainstream manufacturers. I think Ford had 'Custom' on all of their pickup trucks for a long time. Not sure if they still do.

It's probably a pretty smart marketing move, though. I'm sure the consumer loves to be able to say 'Yeah, it's a custom job' when someone asks them about their bike, car, blow up doll, etc. Makes them feel unique.
  2. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    When you buy a new Big Dog you can select a model then have it made custom for you. Paint, controls, wheels, tires, seat....

It is (or can be) an "assemblyline" custom. They also have ones you can just buy the way they build them.
  3. CBBaron

CBBaron Long timer

Oddometer:
    custom [ˈkʌstəm]

adj1. made to the specifications of an individual customer (often in the combinations custom-built, custom-made)
    2. specializing in goods so made See also customs

I think a small manufacturer with alot of options thats builds the product after the customer orders it could be considered "custom".

Obviously the small builders that take a concept and create a unique piece of work are custom builders but a manufacturer like Big Dog may be considered custom also, though I would not lump the two together.

Craig
  4. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    The Arlen Ness showroom in Dublin, CA has at least a dozen Big Dog motorcycles on the showroom floor. Not all of them are ordered.
  5. Hammer70

Hammer70 MyHypocrisyGoesOnlySoFar

Oddometer:
    In Deadwood SD a couple years back for the BMW MOA rally in Gillette. Some guy on a Harley is chatting me up. Sees a guy on a GS riding in shorts and flip flops. He (the BMW rider) was wearing a shirt and helmet, and seemed to be riding from a hotel to an eating establishment a block or so away. This douche asks me why the hell "we BMW riders" think its okay to ride without shoes and "chaps", and how we drive the costs of medical insurance up when we crash dressed like that. On that note, looking at him sitting on his dilapidated machine wearing jeans, chaps, and a tank top... NO HELMET, drinking a beer. I just laughed at him and shook my head. He was aggravated by my response, or lack there of, and sped off down the road... helmet less. For the record, helmet laws suck, but I almost always wear one, and don't care what others do.
  6. SpitfireTriple

SpitfireTriple Seek Truth

Oddometer:
    Happened to me twenty-odd years ago when I was sitting by the tail-gate of a 4-tonner (army lorry). The driver and her front-seat passenger were kindly responding to us singing "Get your tits out for the lads".
  7. Jelocity

Jelocity Parts Goon

Oddometer:
    Another thing people say to me all the time when they see my Icon Ti-Max gloves with the titanium plates on them is:

"Whoa man! If you punched someone with these they'd be done!!"

then they ask me if they can try them on to which i reply:

"No i'm going for a ride, that's why i have the gloves" :bluduh

They also ask me, why i need such a crazy pair of gloves and I tell them that when that inevitable act of god that sends me sliding down the road happens, i'll be thankful for the leather, kevlar and titanium covering my hands.
  8. H e a d N o r t h

H e a d N o r t h (take the high road)

Oddometer:
    My daughter (11) and I were discussing ATGATT today (returning from buying her a new riding jacket), and I mentioned the fact that I sometimes get comments on my gear on hot days.
    Her response: "sweating is better than scarring" or something to that effect.

Smart kid.

9. Beach40

Beach40 Banned

Oddometer:
    :lol3 I used to get the same thing when I was in uniform. The best time was when I was designated driver for our depot and had to transport three young lady officers to a course. We were stopped in traffic and a school bus full of lovely young private school girls stopped beside us. One of them shouted "Hey army guy!" When I looked over every girl in the bus flashed me. One of the best 30 seconds I ever spent in the service of Queen and Country! The conversation in the car after that was a little interesting... :lol3
  10. HammerMacGreed

HammerMacGreed Long timer

Oddometer:

I guess because calling it a boutique bike just sounds a :ymca :lol3
  11. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I get stupid comments and I don't feel like engaging in a conversation I generally tap my helmet and say "Earplugs". Even though I can hear every word they say.

The one that still greatly annoys me is the "KTM, huh? Is that a kawasaki?"
  12. widebmw

widebmw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Many people who say that own or have owned KLR's.
    And they know it annoys you.:lol3
  13. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's unbelievable how many times I can hear something like:

"Dude, you got a dead light beam on your bike"

I have a Buell...
  14. jmanz6

jmanz6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get that all the time while riding my FZ6. 2 days after I bought it I stopped at my father in laws house and the first thing he said was "you have a light out already". Then, I hit the high beams...
  15. (none)

(none) poser

Oddometer:
    Had a fun one Saturday. Wasn't a stupid question by any means, but i figured there was no better place to post this.

I've had the GS for about a month and a half now. Never had a bike so many people like and want to talk about. It has really surprised me about the ugly pig. Even had a guy on a road bicycle stop along side me at a stop light to look it over and talk for a few seconds. Don't get that with an FZ6.

On to Saturday. A new Dunkin' Donuts opened down the road, so i did my GS riding duties and rode down to pick up some breakfast. Arrive, park, get my box just as they are getting packed. As i get to the bike, i see a Harley making his way into the parking lot. No gear whatsoever. I look for a minute, but i'm terrible at telling the difference between their models. It was black, big and had bags. I get my helmet on, hop on the seat, turn the key when i hear. "What have you got here, a dirt bike?"
    i just lol, "not quite" Harley guy is right beside me and i'm just waiting for it...
    He starts in "Once i get rid of my Harley, THIS is what i want"
    I was floored. Hopped off the bike, took off my helmet, told him to take a seat. We talked for a bit. he owned a Triumph, test rode a BMW before (didn't remember which model), got the Harley so his wife could ride with him. Around here BMWs are pretty rare, GSs aren't seen, so it was nice to talk to him for a few minutes. Much different than the regular "when are you gonna get a REAL bike" talk you hear about here.
  16. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    This one time I had a guy who saw my ADV sticker at a gas station come up and ask me "Is that Zerk guy really that much of an antagonistic jerk off douche nozzle in real life?" I said no I think he's just making up for spending most of his high school days stuffed in a locker, or he's mad that his Mom won't let him have any more dungeons and dragons tournaments in her basement. I suggested cutting him some slack thinking hiding behind a monitor slinging shit was some form of therapy for him.
  17. fancyindigo

fancyindigo schmancy...fancy

Oddometer:
    Being that I ride most everywhere, I have walked into some upscale places in my riding gear~places that are not used to the "rough and tumble ADV sort". Well, today I went into my regular, relatively posh hair salon. It was very hot~so, once I parked the bike, I went inside the building ASAP. The poor (new) receptionist shrieked and threw her pen in the air, caught her breath, and then exclaimed, "Oh my Gawd! I thought the terminator was coming! You must be Chuck's 4:00~he told me you'd be on a motorcycle BUT I just didnt expect all the terminator gear! You look like you are ready to kill someone!"
    All I could do was laugh and apologize for startling her...
  18. Wadester

Wadester Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer:
    Please post pics of "terminator gear" so the rest of can see if we measure up!:D
  19. (none)

(none) poser

Oddometer:
    Yes, you must be rough and tumble sort, making hair appointments and all... Chuck must be quite popular.

EDIT: disregard, i see you are a girl. Thought you were some burly dude, going to see a hair stylist.
  20. Reprobate

Reprobate Sarcasm Loading....

Oddometer:
    You shouldn't visit your 'salon' dressed like this:

[​IMG]