The 1200 Tiger Explorer Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by dutchie, Sep 17, 2010.

?

Explorer or Explorer/XC

1. Explorer

2. Explorer/xc

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. SeattleExplorer

SeattleExplorer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fair amount of forest service road riding on my 10 month old Tex. very little off-road before that, and I bought the Tex with whole idea to do multi-day road trips interspersed with forest service roads. Very happy with the Tex. Not trying severe single track rocky stuff yet, but turn off ABS/TC, deflate OEM tires to 22lbs, adjust handlebars up, and off you go. Putting on K60s this week.

Some have complained about multi-button process to turn off ABS and TC and fact that bike resets all to "on" by default when key turned off. I found that if you stop engine with kill switch (and don't touch key) ABS will stay turned "off". If you stop engine by lowering kickstand while in gear, both ABS and TC stay "off" ... Significant decrease in button hassle at those trail stops for rest and pics.

I've dropped it a few times, discovering the auto-shut-off feature. Depending on the landing position, one person with right technique can get the bike up, but fully loaded it is a bear. Always best to have someone else help.

Twitchy throttle? Got used to throttle in first 200 road miles. At 10k checkup got remap that settles throttle down even more. No throttle sensitivity concerns at all for me.

I don't think of the Tex as a dirt bike. More like a touring bike that's quite comfortable and capable for dirt-based touring.
  2. XFBO

XFBO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any chance on sharing that Purolator part number?
  3. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    Purolator Pure One PL14612
  4. littlefield

littlefield Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The new 1200's use the same oil filter as the 1050's. Lot of alternatives, I use a Mobil 1 110.
  5. TIGERRIDER007

TIGERRIDER007 North GA RAT

Oddometer:
    Is there enough room for TKCs under the front fender? Would like to see a picture if you get one taken... I'll have to ride one again, to see if this might be on the short list...I'm liking the XC, with spoked wheels.
  6. Big Jon

Big Jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Touratech has come out with a front fender riser. It raises it about 1/2" & is well worth the money if you're going with any tire more aggressive than OE... :D

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/PN-422-5441/Front-Fender-Riser-Kit-Triumph-Tiger-Explorer-1200
  7. M Bouthillette

M Bouthillette Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. ICOM

ICOM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I own a Yamaha Super Tenere, my spokes are POS. My Tenere is a 2013 and had about the same mileage as yours when I first noticed them corroding along with a lot of hardware on the bike. It looks to me the front wheel is the same exact wheel but the rear is different on your bike. Yamaha is replacing some under warranty but it is a big fight. Then there is the problem of getting them replaced correctly and the wheels remain true it is not a happy experience and if I could have gotten a ST with cast wheels I sure would have. Spoke are going to be a headache with both our bikes.
  9. ridenm

ridenm WALSTIB Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm familiar with two types of tubeless wire-spoked wheels. Trials bikes mostly use the kind with a flange on the rim, and the spokes connect to the flange (no rim penetration). I understand others have individual o-rings where each spoke fits directly into the rim. What kind does the XC use?
  10. St_rydr

St_rydr #livelikerob

Oddometer:
    New Tex owner here. I got the faster graphite colored one. What have you all been getting for miles out of the stock tires before needing replacement? Hoping to get 10k miles this year without rubber expense.
  11. element6

element6 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Changed out both within the last week with just over 11K miles on the clock. Front was down under 1/32" and rear was just over 2/32"

Situation forced replacement with Bridgestone BattleWings, which seem to have good reviews, but probably wouldn't have been my first choice. Have to wait and see how they work out.

Dave

12. ICOM

ICOM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Spokes are connected to these flanges that are positioned down the middle of the rim and no penetration into the rim on the Tex & Tenere. The BMW's place their spokes on the outside lip of the tubeless rim.
  13. RideDualSport.com

RideDualSport.com Zut alors!

Oddometer:
    Howdy, could anyone comment on the Explorer's ergonomics for a rider like myself who is 5'8" and 160 lbs?
    I found that I could easily put my feet mostly to the ground, however when riding, I felt like the reach to the bars was a bit far for me. I kept sliding forward on the seat and "humping the tank" a bit. The back 1/3 of the seat was not occupied by my butt.
    The Guzzi Stelvio is on my list as well, and it felt as though its cockpit was more compact. I can sit upright with a relaxed reach to the bars while a bit farther back on the seat. What I am looking for is a very relaxed upright riding position that feels natural to me.
    I loved everything about the Explorer, but came away feeling that it is built more around the physique of riders who are 6 ft or more. Also, the suspension seemed a bit stiff for a solo rider of 160 lbs, I understand the bike does have a high load capacity which may account for that.
    Thank you for anything you can offer that may validate my impression.
    Cheers!
  14. Voluhzia

Voluhzia iExplorer

Oddometer:
    Many use ROX risers that can swing toward as well. I put 20mm raiser from SW-Motech as I like riding standing...

For the seat, try high front and low rear for the seat height adjuster... It'll keep you back... I had had that set up for about 3000 miles well now, with more than 23000 it back to high-high and I'm comfortable...

Facebook
    Nova Scotia on Explorer
  15. Voluhzia

Voluhzia iExplorer

Oddometer:
  16. RideDualSport.com

RideDualSport.com Zut alors!

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the tips on suspension adjustment and the potential for re-positioning the bars too!

From an MC News report:
    http://www.mcnews.com.au/Testing/Triumph/2012_Explorer_1200/Review1.htm

"...it sets a new benchmark in motorcycle final drives...virtually no discernible drive-line lash...you would swear you had a perfectly adjusted new chain rather than a shaft."
    I agree the drive train never exhibited any traits that brought any attention to it! Sort of like the belt drive on my Buell TT.

"...Explorer is no light weight but the heft is never felt on the move..."
    I was shocked at how nimble the bike felt, perhaps the wide bars and sporty stance of the bike helped it steer so lightly.

"...load capacity, are no doubt the reason why Triumph have fitted the Explorer with such taut suspension....the 46mm Kayaba forks and the single shock in particular do transfer small bumps through to the rider..."
    Yes I noticed this, I rode over railroad crossings and small potholes to test for a compliant suspension, and it was a firm ride.

"...It is probably a price worth paying when loaded to the gunnels with panniers and partner....this is where the suspension package will come into its own and when fully laden, perhaps make it shine a little above the competition thus loaded..."
    This is good to know since I am looking for a big ADV bike that will handle a passenger and luggage with ease.
  17. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I've done it now..

From their garage:

[​IMG]

Now in my garage:

[​IMG]
  18. Big Jon

Big Jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats MrMac! She's a great looking ride. Here's to a long relationship for the 2 of you...
  19. Voluhzia

Voluhzia iExplorer

Oddometer:
  20. David Shapiro

David Shapiro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking hard at this bike. Love the green as well. Are the spoked wheels more trouble than they are worth? This will be a road bike only for me.

Thanks
    David