Suzuki Bandit

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Erase, Dec 4, 2008.

1. nbsdave

nbsdave Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

this bike has been on Craigs list, off and on for 2 months or more
    Price keeps getting lower-I would look real close and hard.
    He can't be just back from the dragon every other week.
    The gsxr exhaust would concern me-why?
  2. Gregarious_raconteur

Gregarious_raconteur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I noticed that it's been up for awhile too. I figured that he was just copy/pasting the same ad up, rather than r rewriting it every few weeks.
  3. Mondo Endo

Mondo Endo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The guy with the red 1250 with the Gixxer exhaust goes by the name Suzuki Joe but now rides a Honda CB1000R.When he put the Gixxer pipe on his 1250 he explained all the mods he had to do to make it fit.. He is often on the cycle world forums and would Im sure answer any questions you have regarding this.. still goes by Suzuki Joe btw
  4. Tom-Nor

Tom-Nor Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, using the word weak was a little wrong, the complainants are usually lack of feeling and you have to use some force and i am not talking about when in speed of 100mph++. Their not bad but could be a lot better.
    What about just getting stainless steel breaklines and EBC HH break pads on the original Bandit breaks? That will give you better breaks.

PS My first point was that if your first gona put money in to upgrading the breaks, go for the best not the second best :D
  5. brawnyhombre

brawnyhombre n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello, all. I've had my '01 little Bandit for five years now, and am having more and more trouble resisting the "need" to go bigger. A few viable bikes around my area have me seriously considering making the move. I could use some input on which way I should go. The bikes, in no particular order:

Option 1: a 2012 GSX1250FA, brand new from the dealer, for $9800 OTD.

Option 2: a 2011 GSX1250FA, brand new from the dealer, for $8350 OTD.

Option 3: a 2009 Bandit, from a used bike dealer, 14k miles, $4500 (plus tax)

Option 4: a 2003 1200, 3,200 miles, pristine condition, "asking" $2500.

I have some inklings and leanings, but wanted some feedback from people who know these bikes. (The first three dealers would offer $1000 to $1200 for my 600 in trade, also.) Any thoughts and input from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
  6. Draechon

Draechon Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Brawnyhombre, what are you wanting another Bandit for: do you plan to commute, tour, pleasure ride, etc.? Also, will you be doing your own maintenance or paying a mechanic for it?

I have two first-generation Bandit 1200's. They are super-reliable, decently easy to work on (not as much as the DR, but oh well), parts are cheap, etc. I have done dozens of weekend trips with a Givi top box and soft bags, commute, rode to Canada and back (see my Ride Report), and have ~40,000 miles on the one I ride now with no signs of trouble any time soon.

While I'm here, I'll ask the group: do any of you have Givi PLB511 side racks you're looking to get rid of? I've been searching for a long while unsuccessfully as I want to add side cases.
  7. Carl Childers

Carl Childers Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer:
    For me hands down I'd go for the 1200! Simple, reliable and fast. Add some easy mods and they're even FASTER!

I'm old school so I am biased toward things like carbs, air/oil cooling and lower tech sort of bikes.

Which ever you pick enjoy it!
  8. beeper

beeper Badger tickler

Oddometer:
    Ditto. :wink:
  9. discoganya

discoganya Engineer, Rider, Dad Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can a stock Bandit do a power wheelie? Which gear?
  10. beeper

beeper Badger tickler

Oddometer:
    Yes, very easy to loft the front wheel in first gear.
  11. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer:
    Yes, and with a few mods it will stand up anytime (over4,000 rpm) you hit anything thicker than a sheet of paper
    1st gear can be dangerous!:clap
  12. robfilms

robfilms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    out of curiosity, why wouldn't you pick the newer, fuel injected, 2007-2011 bandit/1250?

i'm just asking.

ymmv

be well.

rob
  13. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because the new ones are slower.
  14. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer:
    And UGLY!!!!!!:D
  15. Mondo Endo

Mondo Endo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Slower and ugly??? Neither version is an RC45 in the looks dept but I think the old ones are kinda dated and cheap looking.. As far as faster, stock things are pretty close and the old air cooled bikes can be made to really fly but a 1250 with a little help from Dale Walker can make 130 rwhp without much work and stock handle better than the old ones and have a 6 speed..Its my experiance that newer updated versions of a vehicle usually are always better than the outgoing models..
  16. rustbucket

rustbucket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They're just having a little bit of fun. :wink:

I like the heritage of the air/oil cooled engine, but am not one who has an attachment to carbs - FI for me any day of the week.
  17. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 750/600 cans are part of an under frame exhaust. This is the 1000 silencer.
  18. Ed-B

Ed-B Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. OldManSandman

OldManSandman Not really old

Oddometer:
    My '02 B12 with @ 20,000 miles runs like a champ. I don't see the added value of the new bikes compared to $2,500. for one that might have had two oil changes on it. I'd prefer to spend the dough on some really nice gear. You could spring for a custom seat and bars while you're at it and maybe some suspension work (or not) and still be ahead of the game financially. But if the new ones speak to you then go for it.
  20. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer:
    :d:d:d