Best (#*^&*!) beard trimmer?

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by The PacRat, Aug 20, 2011.

1. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    I bought one of these a few years ago. The best feature is that the cutter heads interchange, and you can get everything from a #00000 that cuts ultra close to cutters that can be used for beard trimming. I use a #1 to clip my hair and a #00000 for close trimming. If you have a pet, there are also cutter heads available for them. These have a rotary motor that lasts forever instead of a vibrator like the cheaper ones do.
  2. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    I found a USB extension cable (something you can never have too many of) for under 2 bucks on Amazon so I just ordered the lithium ion Remington. It said twice the power for thick beards and well this thing is a beast so we'll see how it goes.
  3. ndcent

ndcent Banned

Oddometer:
    My seven year old rechargeable Norelco just bit the dust.

I bought a $12 Wahl that takes AA batteries at Big Lots.

It sucks bad.
  4. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    I just got the Remington MB4040 (25 bucks) and so far it's working well. I have a really thick beard and it didn't have a problem with taking off a full inch of it.
    maddjack likes this.
  5. EduardoMas

EduardoMas Spartan Overlander

Oddometer:
    PackRat,
    I had the same experience.
    Then: 5 years ago I saw what my barber uses, went to a commercial barber supply place and bought:

Andis T Outliner Trimmer.
    http://cheaposterhairclippers.blogspot.ca/p/andis-t-outliner-trimmer.html

My tough beard is trimmed to length or down to nothing either weekly or monthly. Lesser trimmers grind to a halt, so it takes a long time to moe down.
    The blades are lasting well, the body is diecast, the lights in the washroom dim when I use it. It looks like it was designed in the '50s, when men were men and ... well you get the idea.

I don't often shave smooth, but when I do, I prefer Panasonic.
    After hours or research I bought a Japan Only Panasonic model but the model escapes me as it does not get much use. I found most Panasonics are superior to the old local incumbents like Braun and Remington.

When travelling I don't shave, or I find a local barber to look like my passport picture. If impressions matter, I take the Panasonic as it has great battery life, shaves well and does a decent job of trimming the edges.

Hope this helps,
  6. Juanjo_NY

Juanjo_NY Made in Argentina

Oddometer:
  7. Manuel Garcia O'Kely

Manuel Garcia O'Kely Back at last

Oddometer:
  8. ttpete

Oddometer:
    It comes in several flavors. Mine is a black PowerLine. I have a selection of blades, a #00000 for close trim, #1 for my hair, and a #2 for the beard.
  9. Juanjo_NY

Juanjo_NY Made in Argentina

Oddometer:
    mine came with one blade, just like the one in Amazon, but sold the blade and got a 00000 & 0000 which I'm still using.
    have the same machine in black with a longer cable for my dog, those things are unbreakable!
  10. ttpete

Oddometer:
    The Osters are a bit pricey, but every time I cut my hair, I'm saving $15. It's more than paid for itself.
  11. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    Bumping up an old thread. I am looking for a corded trimmer to keep my beard at roughly 1/2” and sometimes trim the dog’s face between trips to the groomer. ( Her face fuzzes up quickly and it fills her Doggles if I am not careful.)
  12. ttpete

Oddometer:
    The Oster I mentioned above is still my personal choice.
    madeouttaglass likes this.
  13. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doesn't seem that anyone knows that the blades require lubrication and can be sharpened. Even water on the blades makes a heck of an improvement on cutting performance.

Ask any sheep sheerer about it.
    Tmaximusv and madeouttaglass like this.
  14. TheHeretic

TheHeretic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Another contender for hooman application - haven't tried it on doggos...

upload_2024-1-2_14-14-10.png

Plastic cut guards allow for different beard/stubble length, as desired - yrmv...
    maddjack and madeouttaglass like this.
  16. Uke

Uke visualist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been using the same Wahl for longer than I can remember, at least 25 years. Two years ago, the cord crapped out and I replaced the cord, the only thing that fits was much heavier duty, it will last much longer than I likely care to imagine.

I now keep the beard pretty short, using the shortest clip-on spacer, and trim maybe twice a week.

Man, I really hate scraping my face, even if just my throat. Every time I actually do it I swear Billy F Gibbons has the right idea, and perhaps @nachtflug as well.
    Tmaximusv and madeouttaglass like this.
  17. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This Panasonic ER-SB40 works corded or cordless, is pricey (but worth it), and has a linear motor...I've had mine for a few years now and it still works great.

[​IMG]
  18. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    Andis for me. I used a battery type before and a rechargeable, both died and were mediocre when alive but both types have probably improved over the years. I've had this one for a few years and it's great; long cord, lots of power, lots of attachments but I only use a couple.
    IMG_7542.JPG
  19. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    He just played a small venue in Manhattan New Years eve. For $100 I could have gotten a seat. Fort another $150 I could have gotten "meet and greet" - I was SO tempted. I couldn't get any details what "meet and greet" actually meant being in Manhattan the venue would appear to be too cool to stoop to answering questions so having just bought a Scram and a new helmet...I passed but I was so tempted to go...

20231229_115300.jpg
    TheHeretic and Uke like this.