The Africa Twin XRV650 & XRV750 thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by iswoolley, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Pulasky

Pulasky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Soichiro died in 1991.

Aimless wandering in design and racing support since.
  3. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    Here is a pic of the mod installed.
    [​IMG]

I ran the positive and negative direct to the battery and then the three wires from the stator had to be lengthened so I crimped in the extra wire. I wired in the 30amp fuse that came with the kit and you can see it in the red rubber boot just before I went in to the battery box. Simple enough mod really. I am getting over 14 at the battery with it sitting and a little less with it running but not much. At idle it is higher and at a few thousand rpm it drops slightly.

Just got to do some electrical tape work and secure the wires and I am good to go.

Thanks for all the help fellas. Cheers:freaky
  4. alainmax

alainmax ca vaut le detour !!

Oddometer:
    nice Reidy :clap. I would heatshrink the connections

did it 1 month ago. Getting 14.7-14.8V. At idle however, goes down into the 13..

cold up here so handwarmers are on+++ >>>>>14.4v

suspect that the battery will be in the not distant future...
  5. GSPD750

GSPD750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Reidy...posting your pic i assume you want an opinion? It's not how i would wire my mosfet in. Too many butt splices which if the crimper is sub-standard it can lead to further problems of high resistance should they vibrate loose or from corrosion. I would have ordered in sealed connectors and wiring harness as req'd from Jim over at Eastern Beaver..
    http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/R_R_Connectors/r_r_connectors.html
    ...and further soldering for best results. http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/E...ors/R_R_Connectors/MP280_Help/mp280_help.html
    I personally like and would only use a plug connector/solder for the stator harness however as an alternative i would only solder and heat shrink those wires as opposed to butt splicing. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure yours will be fine but i would not gaurantee a butt splice over time especially from a stator where higher resistance from a poor connection and with no waterproofing will only lead to problems. I would also like to see 14.0 vdc or better yet 14.5 vdc at the minimum when at idle with this type of R/R. I get 14.5 vdc with mine at idle and that is with an old style R/R.

6. Twinmike

Twinmike Grandpa

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    in Austria we have two different HP on the 750 engines: 50 HP and 60 HP as the germany modell has.
    The Austrian Modell has a different camshaft and a different intake with a smaller diameter.

The RD07A Modell has a different Ignition and a throttle Sensor, a different Frontlight.
  7. Twinmike

Twinmike Grandpa

Oddometer:
    @Reidy

here a Picture from my mosfet installation on the RD07 Bj. 1994

[​IMG]

I think it is important to connect the three yellow wires from the alternator with one waterproof connector, otherwise you have too many sources of errors

Maybe it is better to make the yellow wires from the mosfet to the wires from the alternator long enough for one connector.
  8. Reidy008

Oddometer:
    Mate this looks like total shit.... who does your work. I would fire my guy if he put out finish results like this....:rofl

Just kidding of course. That is one sweet ass job. I think when I have time I will have to do some better work but for right now I need to ride it so I am wrapping everything in electrical tape and rolling down the road. Just how us Aussie's do it.
  9. XRV-94

XRV-94 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Further, the RD07 has air valves on its fork legs and adjustable rear shock softness.
    The fastening bracket for the exhaust is also somewhat different when comparing to the 07A.
    The carbs are jetted differently, with a larger jet for cooling (?) of the rear cylinder on the 07.
    The Golden rims of the RD07 is another obvious difference to the more recent 07A's as is the differences in looks of the front cowl.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
  10. Twinmike

Twinmike Grandpa

Oddometer:
    :D :1drink

I have a few Pics more

i use this connectors for the 3 yellow alternator wires from Eastern Beaver

[​IMG]

crimped and soldered connectors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the voltage measurement

idle 900rpm

[​IMG]

idle 900rpm with all Lights on

[​IMG]

3000rpm with all Lights on

[​IMG]
  11. GSPD750

GSPD750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's what i'm talking about.......good job Twinmike. :thumb

12. Reidy008

Oddometer:
    In your pic there is a green connector that slots into a bracket with another connector next to it in the bracket. What does the second connector go to as my bike has that slot open?
  13. Twinmike

Twinmike Grandpa

Oddometer:
    it was the place for the original connector for the three yellow wires from alternator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Africa_Twin

Africa_Twin Africa Twiner

Oddometer:
    900 rpm for idle??? isn't that a bit on the low side? You should aim for 1.200 rpm ± 100
  15. Twinmike

Twinmike Grandpa

Oddometer:

yes your description is very good

thank`s :1drink

@ Africa_Twin:
    you're right maybe the rpm was a little bit faster but i could not remember me how the exakt rpm was
  16. dwdufour

dwdufour Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know of a good suspension shop or powder coater in the Germany/Holland area?
  17. Dutchy506

Dutchy506 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    there is a brand new Hyperpro centre in Wijchen, very close to Nijmegen
    :thumb

18. africadero

africadero ronny-king

Oddometer:
    http://www.tilkin.be/

Check this site for powder-coating, they deliver very good work.
    You don't have to make an apointment, and it takes about a week.
    They charged us 175 euro for a frame, and 250 if you want a metallic colour.
  19. sohoeasy

sohoeasy A Mellow Fellow

Oddometer:
    Hi Folks ! There are not too many Africa Twin Hacks around so I was thinking a photo may be welcome here ?

I finished this one a few months back and it's just "Sweet" !

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      82.9 KB
      Views:
  20. goran e

goran e Been here awhile

Oddometer: