Tiger 800 panniers ?

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by jphish, Jul 17, 2011.

1. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:

This last group ride was about 30 riders, we had 4 tigers that rode together and camped with the group. Sunday morning it was 19 degrees and yours truly heated up about 15 cups of coffee with my jetboil. Some brought coffee, via's, fresh ground. There were some very appreciative sleepy heads that morning.

We found a lot of mud and some ice, but we all made it through. None of the tiger riders went down. 585 miles from Friday afternoon to Sunday evening, about 200 of it dirt.

When I got home:

[​IMG]

On the trail. Mine is in the center.

[​IMG]
  2. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very nice, Chris. Sounds like it was a blast. Do you use only a Jet Boil or do you take a primary cooking stove as well. And tell me about your coffee setup, please.
  3. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    yeah, I was emailing with Frank from Wolfman a month or so back and he was talking about them. Any details? I'm kinda holding out to see them before committing to anything else.
  4. browneye

Oddometer:
    I've used all kinds of different stoves, having backpacked in the cascades of WA state from many years ago. The Jetboil is the greatest invention since sliced bread. I hope those guys get rich. For variety there are some really good recipes on their website for creative cooking. One of my favorites is Oink-Oink CoosCoos, which is canned ham and cooscoos with a bunch of spices and stuff that makes a fantastic meal. I made Upside Down Peach Cobbler on one trip, was pretty trippy that it worked. :D

I go to bed at night dreaming about a cup of coffee in the morning. Starbucks... yum. I like a french press but for motorbiking I get by with the MSR gold filter and a stainless insulated mug. I have to drink half decalf, so I always have both regular and decaf and grind it, mix it, take some with. I haven't bothered with the french press setup for the jetboil. It's more convenient not to have to clean it. You just dump the grounds and rinse, hit the road. Pic below of the MSR "Mugmate".

For wintertime dualsport trips I pack the jetboil and via coffees and instant soup mix for a hot beverage on the trail. Sure warms you up when it's cold outside. If it rains or snows there's nothing better.

[​IMG]
  5. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Chris. That's great info. I'm definitely going to look into the gold filter. Kinda on the fence between the Jetboil, MSR Dragonfly, or a Stevor Stove.
  6. browneye

Oddometer:
    Well, for everybody else, sorry for 'jacking the thread.... :evil

The dragonfly is a great multi-fuel stove. The advantage of white gas is it burns well even in sub-zero temps. You have to keep a butane cannister from freezing if you're going to get any pressure out of it.

[​IMG]

The downside is you have to carry fuel, although it's easy to come by in a variety of fuels. I would not burn unleaded in one, too explosive. And you still need cookware. It ends up being more bulky and more fussy than a jetboil. The latter you just light and it's super efficient so boils water in about 2 minutes. For me the butane cannisters are more convenient. Carry a large one for a long trip or if it will get used a lot. Otherwise, for weekending the tiny jetboil can fits right inside the stove and will heat about 20 pots of water (about a half liter). The flux ring on the bottom of jetboil cookware really improves efficiency. Read up on them here: www.jetboil.com

The 'Flash' is the one for biking, unless you have the $$ to pitch for a titanium one.

[​IMG]

I googled 'stevor stove' with no results. :dunno
  7. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    So do I, after my little incident at Meat Cove... :rofl

[​IMG]

--mark
  9. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    the best way i can think to explain them is that they physically look the same. they are made of a kevlar type material. the inside of the bag was lined with a dry bag type material. the ones i saw were black. they were nice looking. but, these were not being mass produced yet some things may have changed. they also come with an inside dry bag thingy that's removable.
  10. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow! Oops. Hope that was at the end of your trip!
  11. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few days before the end. I stopped off at a Canadian Tire store to pick up a cheap replacement tent, but it's not very high quality and packs kind of big, so I'd rather not use it as my primary touring tent.

If you ever visit Meat Cove and camp at the top of the cliff, remember to leave the tent staked down until you've collapsed it and are ready to start folding it up! :oscar

--mark
  12. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha! I think that goes without saying! Looks like you guys have beautiful areas up there to experience. Jealous!
    I am leaning toward the Big Agnes Wyoming Trail tent.:evil
  13. browneye

Oddometer:

Ah yes, I had seen that. Liked it too.

I think there are issues with controlling flame, but perhaps I didn't get all the details. I'm not real excited about liquid fuel either, although sourcing a bottle of 'heet' is probably pretty easy.

I'll look at it again. IIRC I was thinking about making or buying one to check it out. But I'm still a big fan of the Jetboil. :clap

Just wow on the lost tent. Holy smokes!!
  14. backwoodsKLR

backwoodsKLR Ride more, Post Less.

Oddometer:
    I was all ready, after weeks of research, to order the 3 piece set of GIVI Trekkers for my 2013 Tiger 800XC... But they were out of stock for the few sites that listed the matching set. So I emailed Givi. Prompt reply explained that the 3 piece set is no longer available (so no discount and no keyed alike) and I will have to buy sepereate bags and a separate lock set and manually re-key all of them to match. :cry
  15. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just another way for them to make more money. Sigh.
  16. riverman

riverman Life is great !

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried using the Wolfman bags with the Jesse racks. Just thinking that the form fitting Jesse rack and Wolfman bags would be great for short trips and then maybe pick up the hard Jesse bags for longer trips without having to change racks.
  17. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haven't tried it, but I expect that would work fine. The Wolfman bags are pretty flexible as far as mounting is concerned. They don't even really need to go over racks; having the racks is just useful to help support the bags. As such, I would think any rack would work fine.

--mark
  18. Poweranger

Poweranger Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think I have it narrowed down to either Pelicans or the Givi Trekker for side luggage on my tiger. Problem is I would really like to see this stuff in person before ordering. Does anyone know places that carry this stuff in stock in the midwest? I am in southern Michigan halfway between Detroit Chicago. What about the cycle show? Givi have a set up there or other vendors that might have some of these systems on display?
  19. Marsh Tiger

Marsh Tiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Dragonfly. It does it all and burns Diesel, kerosene, and will use gas according to MSR. I've burned premium in it with success (it didn't blow up) When I backpacked Hawaii, charcoal lighter fluid was my favorite.
  20. riverman

riverman Life is great !

Oddometer:
    Any update on the new larger size Wolfmans? I don't see anything on their site yet.