Bandit 1250

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by flaadvandmtbrider, Oct 30, 2007.

1. fredellarby

fredellarby Retired, what a great job

Oddometer:
    I traded a 2000 Bandit because my beat up old body wouldn't take the forward lean but I miss it every day and gnash my teeth every time I read about somene else getting one.

:tough

If they keep improving it I may have to reconsider.
  2. Fidget

Fidget JM is my FB

Oddometer:
    Can you give us a quick rundown on the after market stuff like the screen, gps and luggage etc....:ear
  3. flaadvandmtbrider

flaadvandmtbrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What I'm finding is quite a few non-ABS discounted in dealer inventories, but very few ABS models. Anyone here got the ABS model??
  4. RoyQ

RoyQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure no problem, I'll list it all the good and bad.

* Givi windscreen (not perfect but with ear plugs its tolerable).
    * Givi PLX racks with V35N side bags, fit in real nice and tight.
    * Givi topcase rack with E460 topcase (not shown in pic).
    * Garmin Zumo 550 GPS with RAM lock knob.
    * Valentine1 radar detector with Visual alert LEDS from Marc Parnes.
    * SlipStreamer radar platform handlebar mounted.
    * Currently wired for Gerbing heated gear, vest & gloves.
    * Power outlet mounted under seat.
    * Dale Walker mirror extentions (a must have item)
    * Dale Walker O2 bypass plug, re-mapped ECM with a Yosh box at +5,0,0 much better!
    * Michelin Pilot Power tires (not long lasting but kick butt in the twisties).

It needs a aftermarket seat of better shape and quality, stocker is adjustable in height but is very much a sportbike design. Heated grips are planned on down the road at some time. Very solid built motorcycle. It is a bit cramped under the seat and behind the various panels so wiring things on the bike and hiding stuff was a challenge. The V1 audio box is mounted behind the front fairing on top of the headlight box. I have it T-locked down and saran wrapped for moisture proofing. I rode V-Stroms since '02 (1000 and 650) so I sacrificed wind protection and comfort but I love a big inline 4 engine. Fuel mileage is better on the Bandit. I owned two 1200 Bandits a '99 and a '00. I never used anything on them but soft bags but loved the bikes a bit buzzy but stone cold reliable.
  5. Fidget

Fidget JM is my FB

Oddometer:
    Well, it looks great. Nicely set up and everything you chose seems to blend into the disign of the bike really well. :clap
  6. Mike Butt

Mike Butt Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    :clap

Any word on alternator output?

Heat issues?
  7. Serp.

Serp. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the 2003 Bandit 1200 and I love it. I bought it new in Sept. 03 for $6200 otd and it now has 65,000 trouble free miles.
    [​IMG]

It does everything well, the only change I made from stock was to add a tooth to the rear sprocket and a Givi sport screen. It handles well for canyon carving and will rev cleanly to redline in every gear but 5th.
    [​IMG]

Capable of 155 mph on top and 50.5 mpg at a sedate 70 mph giving me a 230 mile range before reserve on a 5.2 gal tank. Touring weeks at a time averaging 500 mile days are a snap.
    [​IMG]

The only downside is it eats chains for breakfast, granted I tend to stay on the 'sport' side of sport touring (hard not to play with the torque) but 13,000 miles is the most I've gotten from a chain and my last one died after only 7,000 miles, oh but what fun I had killing it.

All in all it's a great do-it-all bike.
  8. RoyQ

RoyQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    You have about 100 watts to spare at 5k rpms which is odd since at 5k rpm you'd be hauling the mail pretty seriously. So far no battery issues with the way I have it setup and using it.

There was a little heat on the legs when new and the O2 sensor was hooked up. Bike was running way too lean. With O2 bypassed and a little more fuel into the beast everything has leveled off to a normal amount of heat given off. The bike is E3 compliant so its a lean one from the factory. I need to ditch the muffler it weighs alot and I am sure its stopping up the engine. Just hate to go loud it sounds so sweet as it is.
  9. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man one more bike to add to my list to look at before pulling the trigger this winter. :huh
  10. Serp.

Serp. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Probably a little more than that. My dash volt meter reads 14 volts @ 4000rpm when I'm running 2-55W auxiliary lights and a 44W electric vest.
    5K rpm = 90 mph, Suzi's sweet spot an my normal traveling speed.
  11. Mike Butt

Mike Butt Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Thanks man.
  12. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    ZOMG :eek1 I love it, exactly what I would have done with it and same color too! DROOLSVILLE
  13. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    :bow:bow:bow:bow:bow
    I wanna trade my 650R for your, badly! :eek1
  14. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    65k! :bow:bow

According to reviews, the new 1250 is A LOT better (re torque, suspension,
    fuel economy, prettymuch everything). I just hope they didn't "kill" the
    reliability.

I want one.:clap
    Lowrider49 likes this.
  15. Serp.

Serp. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well it would have a lot more but I ride my second bike most of the time to keep the mileage down on my Suzi.
    AZbiker likes this.
  16. JonnyThrice

JonnyThrice Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Theres a dealer local to me selling nex B1250 for around $7500 CAD (or 8 million USD$ :rofl )....I think $7800 for the ABS model. If theyre still priced like that next season, I'm totally going to pick one up!
  17. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    How wide are those bags? Lose the topbox and it will improve in looks by about 100%

I saw one post where a guy bought one and kept it only a short time before trading for a 1000 Strom. Any one know why...the Strom is a comfortable bike but is the Bandit too heavy or a poor handler?
    JerryIUP likes this.
  18. Groucho

Groucho Hexhead Hoon

Oddometer:
    The 1250S does seem to pack an incredible bang over buck ratio...been checking one out at my local HondaZuki dealer.

In your opinion- how are these as (returning) n00b bikes? I'm just getting back into riding- I've some GS850 experience back in the dim and distant mid-eighties, no street riding to speak of since (some off-road).

There are other bikes I prefer from a "gut" perspective, but I can't escape the value of these bikes!
  19. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't overlook a 650 Strom or a SV 650 depending on your riding style....offers the most bang for buck and a good returnees bike,,,,,,you wont believe what a 650 can do.
  20. PassTheGravy

PassTheGravy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's way too much bike for a noob. Bad things can happen very quickly on a bike with that much torque.