The Motorcycle Shop Goes Digital!

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Brendon@TMS, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Brendon@TMS

Brendon@TMS The Motorcycle Shop

Oddometer:
    Hey, welcome to AK!

Come by when you get a chance, I'd be happy to give you a tour. Tues-Fri 10-6, Sat 10-4, if you can't make those times shoot me a PM or email and we'll figure it out.

Hmm, 6 year service? We'll check the books. We've got plenty of open spots in the service bay for you, so just let us know. In the next 4 weeks we'll start to pick up though, just keep that in mind for planning.

Hindaeu (or however it's spelled) has shunned us with regards to carrying their tires. We're firm believers in Metzler, Dunlop, Michelin, and Continental, just to name a few. We sell quality brands, and I am going to stock quality parts for said brands.

I've heard of people having decent experiences with those smaller brands, but it's tough to serve 100% of the market, with so many choices out there. I'll certainly bend over backwards to try and take care of you!

As far as Shitko, excuse me, Shinko, we can get them, but I'm not going to stock them.

You're always welcome to call or come by, I'll chat with you about tires. Metzler has the Karoo, underrated tire in the dual sport market. Conti's TKC80 is the clear gold standard too.
  2. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well Brendon you sound like a guy with a masters degree in business......Or your getting your marketing advice from your dad. I have had a lesson in Motorcycle marketing from him in the past, and time has shown he was right. In either case your paying attention.
  3. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    Brendon, I am traveling with three buddies this July. At least two of the bikes are going to need 24K type service R1200GS, R1200ST. As we get the dates solid we would like to schedule service and see if we can get both bikes in and out in a day. I know that you may find unexpected problems, but hoping not.

We are still working the rest of the details and trying to determine where we are with our tire wear.
  4. Brendon@TMS

Oddometer:
    Hey, thanks! I hope having a MBA is a good thing!

Lonestar-Awesome news about your trip! I hope you're excited, it's sure going to be one to remember!

The more accurate dates the better, but even if you can give us a few days range that works. Really any heads up is better than no heads up. We can always do "drop in" oil and tire changes, but the 24k services will take some planning, thanks for the lead time!

Cell range can be spotty, it's probably best to call us before you leave the states to get an idea of when you'll be here. You can always email or message me too. If you get caught in an emergency just post something on here, I'm sure we'll all try and help!

In my experience most people burn a set of tires on the way up with some riding around the state. The Alcan and Cassiar are tough roads on motorcycle tires, and usually wear down the center section pretty quickly, especially when loaded up. Quite often we get lower 48 guys pulling in on chords just because the roads are that aggressive.

We have GS tires all day, Tourance, TKC80, Karoo, Anakee, Distanzia just to name a few. We should have a set of tires for the ST. If you want something specific/high mileage let me know at least a week ahead of time so I can make sure I have them in stock. We sold 1 ST up here, so any ST specific stuff isn't going to be on hand (except for the cross over bits, oil filter, etc).
  5. AKLiz

AKLiz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Brendon,

If I found myself in need of a couple of motorcycle shipping pallets (not necessarily the full crate) later this summer, any chance you'd be able to help me out? If so, how early should I be giving you a heads-up? Thanks!

Liz
  6. Brendon@TMS

Oddometer:
    Hmm, we should have some around, we usually try and keep the BMW ones as they're very high quality. If you want some "free" I can set you up with the Kawasaki ones, they're steel. If you want some of the BMW ones give us a call, I'll see what I have.

The more lead time the better, I'll need to know when you want them because it'll be a dance trying to keep extra crate bottoms around while moving inventory around.
  7. Baja1k4life

Baja1k4life Never Stop Exploring

Oddometer:
    Hey Brendon,

I think I better throw my two bits in here as well. It's possible that it has been said already but I didn't see it.

The biggest thing for me has been being ignored whenever I come into the shop. And if I wasn't ignored, I was treated like I was clueless to anything going on or that they couldn't even be bothered to speak with me about the bikes, like my buying a bike or part there didn't interest them in the least.

My last big ride was from San Francisco back to Anchorage and along the way had to stop in at South Sound BMW near Tacoma where I was treated like a real guest. I still contact them as my home base shop. It would be great to have that type of service here in Anchorage!
  8. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not to jump on the 'wagon but...how does it work as a shop when selling bikes? I'm sure there isn't a huge mark up but there never seems to be a "deal". Got an earful from a coworker today about looking to get a deal when he and another guy wanted to buy two new bikes cash. Said there was no budging and he went off to buy used and the other took his cash to HOH. Have no idea what kinda deal they wanted. I had the same dealing when I bought my KLR. Buddy and I walked in intending to buy two brand new KLRs that day but no budging at all on the price. What we were offered was the the actual factory incentive that I was going to get anyway. I ended up buying anyway but my buddy walked. I don't want to to come across as a prick since I'm sure buying cars differ from bikes....more or less trying to understand the world of sales.
  9. AKLiz

AKLiz Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks Brendon! I'll probably be popping in to the shop in the next week or two - it's been a while :) I'll track down either you or Shannon (is he still there? He's sold me and the husband a handful of bikes over the years) when I'm in.

Liz
  10. ADVBMR

ADVBMR Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Nobody likes to pay full price. That's life. The way to build customer loyalty is to let the customer feel like they got a good deal. If TMS won't budge on MSRP - which has been my experience as well - then other incentives ought to be considered. A free oil change at the break-in would be an easy thing to offer on every new bike sale right up front. A decent discount, such as 25-30% on bags or gear purchased with the bike would be another. It's easy to drop another couple grand on a new bike just to get it right.

In the last seven years I've bought one used and one new from TMS, one new and three used elsewhere. Two of those they could have sold to me if they had been more flexible. I grew up in a family business that was built on customer loyalty and I've always been big on buying local, so I take it as a big disappointment to not buy a bike from them. They do my servicing, and I have to say they fit me in when I need something and I really appreciate it.

If there isn't much markup on new bikes, which I have no reason to doubt, then the money has to come from service and parts. Parts and gear are not much of a money maker, so that leaves service. I never understood closing the shop on some days during the summer. Seems like they have enough business to keep service running from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. or at least have open hours on every day of the week during the summer.
  11. Brendon@TMS

Oddometer:
    Hey, thanks for the interest everyone!

Lets clear a few things up first...

This is not a million dollar industry. It (specifically up here) is an industry driven by passion. Passionate individuals who love this state and love motorcycles are the people that started our shop, as well as others in the area years ago. I still feel as though our shop is this way. We are all motorcycle enthusiasts and try to share that enthusiasm over the years.

There have been bad apples at our shop, I try and work around/over that whenever dealing with customers. I'm aware our staff hasn't been perfect, but from the end of 2011 forward, I'm only hiring excellence. That means my corporate social structure is going to promote professionalism, enthusiasm, and excellence.

We love motorcycles and love spending all waking (and some dreaming) hours around them, that's why we've been here since 1972!

Lets talk about prices and margins. As I said, this isn't an industry that one gets "rich" in. We make enough to keep the lights on and put food on the table. Any more is reinvested in the company. We had a new parking lot paved a few years back, there are small expenses and big expenses, so reinvestment is an annual deal.

When people talk about getting a "deal" it seems as though the price is the only thing on which to "deal" with.

First things first, I'm aware of the "internet" and if you take the time to come into my shop, I'll work like hell to get your business. If that means matching price? Then guess what, I'm matching a price as best I can. I always look at your part+shipping, that's the price I'll match (or do my best to match).

When people come in expecting deals on bikes, that's a different conversation. We sell tons of KLR's every year. They're the perfect Alaskan bike and at a great price point. That wonderful price point means that I'm making enough to keep the lights on, but not all that much more. When people come in demanding money off and saying things like "I'll pay cash" there just isn't much wiggle room. I am not in the business of selling things for less than I paid, that is not a sustainable business model. However, I am not in the business of price gouging, and I do my very best to sell right at MSRP.

It's a suggested price by the manufacturer after much research and market knowledge. That price was achieved by careful analysis and many metrics in place over many years. MSRP is there for a reason, and I do my best to honor that price.

I look at every sale, no matter what part, service, or vehicle as a relationship. I'm here to build the relationship, not just make the quick sale and out you go. In a market as dense and small as ours, it's not the quick sales, it's the relationships that lets our industry continue to grow.

Lastly, to answer you lot directly:
    ADVBMW-There have been a couple bikes that you wanted, and we flat out could not get our hands on. Nothing frustrates us more than the brand tying our hands like that. Here you are, cash in hand, and having to go to another dealer just because a brand won't allocate us a bike. On the other hand, I urge you to ask me first if I can get you a part rather than click "buy it now" Granted we both can have stuff ordered and shipped up here, but if you go through me, I'll try and beat their price, and you have a real store front you can return that part to!

AKLiz-Great! I'm upstairs, I'll let the other guys know to keep it in the back of their mind to hang on to some crate bottoms. Shannon has since moved on, but we've got a few new people I think you'll connect with just fine!

ThatGuy-It sounds like you wanted more money off than just the manufacture discount. Also you're talking about one of our most popular models. What's the harm in paying $100 bucks more on the unit and coming up stairs, talking to me, and maybe I give you $100 off a pair of side cases? Please give us another chance!

Baja-I'm very sorry you felt as if you were treated that way. Often times we're so busy it goes right over our head that we unintentionally ignore people. I assure you that's not what I want our shop to display itself as! If a worker hasn't treated you the way you feel you should be treated, pull me aside and say something! I'm happy to receive feedback/criticism, that's how I can improve!

Thanks again for the feedback, I look forward to the coming years!

Sorry for the novel!
  12. ADVBMR

ADVBMR Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer:
    That's not quite the whole story, but no need to go into details here, I'll come talk to you. I was dealing with folks downstairs so you may not have all the info. Although it is true I was standing there with cash in hand!

I know I'm speaking for a lot of people here when I say we appreciate your enthusiasm and support all you're trying to do.
  13. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

Me too! :clap:clap:clap
    Fite
  14. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    It wasn't me but some coworkers and I bought that KLR a couple of years ago. Regardless I hope I wasn't appearing to beat up on you guys and was looking(curiosity) for more info regarding bike sales which you answered. I was in the shop not too long ago looking at the 800GS and Tiger demos and Don was great and took the time to go over a lot of things.

Me three.:freaky
  15. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Quote of the day, eh? :wink:

Mark H.
  16. Brendon@TMS

Oddometer:
    ADVBMR-fair enough, all I know is your 800r looks so trick!

Thanks everyone! Again, I can't reiterate I'm here for you all, drop me a line!
  17. Vagabond

Vagabond Mr. Sparkle

Oddometer:
    If TMS has gone "digital", then why is the website so out of date? In dog years, it's been 60 since the site has been updated.
  18. BARB

BARB Alaska Leather - Home of the Sheepskin Buttpad Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is the rule on updating websites? I wasn't aware there was one. I may be out of compliance too. Barb.
  19. Brendon@TMS

Oddometer:
    facebook.com/themotorcycleshop that's the most current site

Our IT guy is moving offices so it will be a week or so till the site is updated. I've taken new pictures, just need to get them in that HTML code.
  20. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Just link and embed?

[​IMG]