The XT600 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CR_TurboGuy, Jan 21, 2007.

1. indytxl

indytxl n00b

Oddometer:
    That's a cool picture Andreja, might have to use it as my background pic. Looks like you can ride all over the place.

[​IMG]
  2. Sydney Andy

Sydney Andy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ..... well looks like they make the rack for my bike... now I need to get my best mate's Italian speaking wife on the phone to them... ;)
  3. Andreja

Andreja Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sydney Andy, thanks for instructions dude :thumb

indytxl, let me know if you need more pics of it, I'll be glad to share 'em in this topic :freaky

Edit: I've bought a rack for my XT with a toolbox, spare clutch cable, new mirror and clutch lever "holder" and a chain slider for rear fork :)
  4. joatmoa

joatmoa Joatmoa

Oddometer:
    There are quite a few people who have been upset by a lack of product for the money they have spent with http://www.accessorimotocross.it
    If I were you I would steer clear.
    As a general tip, if they don't take Paypal then there is something wrong!
  5. Freddan

Freddan n00b

Oddometer:
    I´m restoring a XT600Z 34L 1983. The spark is weak or seems to fire every 6-8 time of kicking. I have only rebuilt the ignition circut and have no battery or charging system. The two systems are fully independent as I understand. I had the bike running but it´s getting harder or impossible to start. So is this a bad wire connection, faulty CDI, Ignition coil measurs good. Pickup coil is a bit off the chart (110ohm and 110ohm both sides so I think it´s a measuing problem).

Has anyone had the spark come and go?

/Fred.

OK the CDI is no good. I switched from my 43f. CDI anyone?
  6. G600

G600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Assuming your XT has the same ignition as the “regular” xt600 of that era, and you have the original CDI box, chances are you have a faulty CDI unit.

Yes the ignition system is “stand alone”. 110 ohm is about right for the pickups. Disconnect the black/white wire from the CDI when testing, it is the “kill” wire. By disconnecting it you rule out a failure in the ignition switch, kill switch, wiring, etc
    Check the Ignition coil, my XT550 has the same igniton:
    Primary = 0,5 ohm plus/minus 15%
    Secondary = 6K ohm plus/minus 15%

I have a CDI from hpi.be in my XT550 (the original one died two years ago) ,it was plug and play, no problems so far.
  7. Zombie_Stomp

Zombie_Stomp Aspiring human

Oddometer:
    I decided to make my own using pannier loops from BRmoto.com, the rack maker for wolfman bags. When the weather warms up, I will take my bike on a trip to mid/northern virginia to an ADV inmate's shop to work with his awesome tools.
  8. Buddaman

Buddaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys Happy New Years

I got an 89 XT600 and in search of the right side Crank Case Cover, Don't Need the case, just the cover that bolts to it, The previous owner re-drilled and tapped the crap out of one of the oil screws on the side cap is, Now its leaking little by little mostly when I do freeway riding and the bike build pressure, Ill see it on the side of the case, Ebay however seems to be filled with complete cases for sale but no covers? any ideas on where to locate or does someone wana sell one? Also dont have money for a new one.
  9. preppypyro

preppypyro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a suggestion, but instead of buying a cover, you could always throw a heli coil in there. Throw a little rtv on the bolt when you reinstall it, and it might work for ya.

Ive used that method before on leaky bolts, sometimes the rtv just adds that little bit of sealing power!
  10. shanekfalcon

shanekfalcon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, a question for all the XT600 enthusiasts. My cousin is looking at a 1991 ex-Australian Army with 50,000 kilometres on the clock, for about $2,000.00 . He is attracted by the price and size as he is about 6 foot five inches and quite strong ( a farmer ) and perhaps weighs abou 95 kilos.

Whilst acknowledging the reputation of these bikes, it is quite high mileage and old; as a runabout on the farm is this a good idea? Are there any specific issues to this model that we need to look closely at? All advice appreciated.

Thanks

Shane
  11. McGoo

McGoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have on of those army bikes, and as a farm runabout, it would be..,ok. They are very reliable, and fast enough for travelling but slow enough for farm work. On the flip side, however, they are very heavy for what they are.

We have a few proper farm bikes, Honda CT200 models, and my XT feels like it weighs >30% more. Which is fine, but it would get old very quickly if it got stuck.
  12. shanekfalcon

shanekfalcon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks McGoo,

Didn't think of the getting stuck issue. The farm has a lot of sticky blacksoil and this may get to be an issue. I've ridden my DR800 around there a bit and it is hard work, the XT would ge easier, but not a lot easier. So another issue to consider.

Regards,

Shane
  13. Scutty

Scutty Talent-limited bike builder and rider

Oddometer:
    Hi

New guy here - I have just bought a 1992 XT600E and then got my hands on a load of 1997 XTZ660 parts inc front forks, rear shock, brake calipers, fuel tank, seat etc

Any idea what would fit on simply (if anything) ?
  14. thumpthumpthump

thumpthumpthump Thumpthumpthump

Oddometer:
    Do you have the o ring that goes on the bottom bolt of the oil filter cover?
  15. Buddaman

Buddaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Thump I assume your question is for me? If so then yes, it is there a new. The PO re-drilled that hole for a bigger bolt before I bought it IDK why but even with sum RTV it still leaks once the bike warms up and builds pressure.
  16. Buddaman

Buddaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Prep my dad suggested the same but my only concern was if I inserct a heli coil it will block off the drain thats in there at the back bottom? Heli-coil Im sure would seal that off right? what does that hole do there? allow the oil to drain down?
  17. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Front caliper fit from xtz660, also front wheel fits 96-up, pretty sure the same goes for rear wheel.

Not sure about the shock, but the front forks wont fit as the ones on the xtz is slightly larger, but perhaps the whole front end would fit.
  18. Buddaman

Buddaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Bosley check your PM's
  19. mr bones

mr bones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    95 model bigger tank on a 92xt 600? I've heard if you change the seat and tank it's a direct bolt on. Has anybody done this or seen it done? If I can't do this I'm going to have to sell my XT and get something newer that I can get a tank for.
  20. donmoto

donmoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yeah I was curious as to tank options as well. I was thinking if it wasn't too difficult of a swap to try one of the sweet looking old Ténéré tanks. But since the oil sump designs are different I'm not sure how well that'd work.