Ultra gravel-traveller. RC8´ed Adv-S...

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by LocuL, May 29, 2010.

1. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe the radiator can be mounted they way they had them on old three wheelers?
    [​IMG]

P.S have a red tecate from -85 =)

/Johan
    TToni likes this.
  2. Benz

Benz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The rad will fit. Just can't run a fender.
  3. jamesbrown

jamesbrown Lefty tighty.

Oddometer:
    I'm not so sure under full compression of the front forks with a 21" front wheel; and if Locul's past exploits are anything to go by, it will be used under full compression :D
  4. Benz

Benz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I still think there's plenty of room with no fender, or a modified one anyway. If you mount it right above the sump up against the cylinder head it looks like there will be more clearance than on the RC8. I'm just judging by pics. I really have no idea what I'm talking about.
  5. jamesbrown

jamesbrown Lefty tighty.

Oddometer:
    Likewise :D However, the front header pipe needs to go somewhere....
  6. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And Peterson run there 950 LC8's on Nitro, only 200bhp. 1190 Nitro in dirt!!! Just mad.
  7. Benz

Benz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why not just take a 990 motor and have a bunch of work done to it? It will handle much better in the chasis and have a better power curve for your type of riding. You can do a lot of stuff I would imagine. Porting and polishing the heads, valve job, forged internals with high compression pistons, balanced and blueprinted. Have a shop make a custom ecu tune for it and that would be a pretty beast motor.
  8. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I say go for it - experimenting only improves the breed - hell KTM will do it sooner or later. If a crowd in Austria or thereabouts can put a merc diesel in one than why not the RC8? I like your thinking - now get to work.
    What a great way to destroy a nobbie rear......:rofl

Pete:1drink
  9. SSrider

SSrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HERE HERE !!! HIT THE ROAD JACK !!
  10. tommytiger

tommytiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so you will have 64 liters with you in your 300kg KTM :rofl
  11. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    I should answer that question.

When i do the "long haul" riding. Highway stuff ala Autostrada Germany or likewise. I would like the option of +900km. When riding normal roads and standard gravelroads I will not feel the actually weight. I think i can adapt to weight. Its when it gets technical or twisty the fun starts. Beside that, when it tip over someday fully loaded, i´m in a great shape and would lift it without big efforts.
    But yes i would like to have the options for 64l. Though i´m not all into how you can stretch the RC8R engine at normal daypace.

Benz:
    I don´t have interest in working with the 950/990 engine. As a matter of fact i have one sitting in a crate with a lost 6th gear. I could make that a crazyhorse.
    If i can get a RC8R around 25.000 Dkr(3600euro) with low milage i´think that project in it own screams for the test. It would probably cost the same to make a 990 insane. And i will not tune the RC8R, reliability is the way. Not that i think the LC8 couldn´t take the beating.

RC8R is my choise. If it fails i´m a way more poor man than before...though a bit more clever.

Regards
    Mikael

Ps: As mentioned before it will take months before the first step. Patience.

Keep comming with "your thoughts". Bad and Good.
    TToni likes this.
  12. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    I was eyeing a wrecked RC8 at the dealer and it looks very doable....

It will definately be a good learning curve trying to make everything fit together nicely and be reliable at the same time.

Kudos for trying and keep us posted man, good luck :thumb
  13. mtb_man

mtb_man Unfettered

Oddometer:
    I love my RC8 and I love my Adventure. However, I doubt I would love a 1148cc Adventure as much.

Why? The engine/throttle response on the RC8 is all wrong for dirt and the adventure chassis shakes its head a bit with 95hp, I can't imagine >150hp pumping through it.

I look forward to reading the rest of this thread, but I'll stick to two separate bikes... :wink:
  14. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    :freaky The day got even better.

From Robie Peterson:

locul,
    The RC8 in the Super Enduro frame has worked well. A very easy, almost bolt in conversion. We are running just methanol currently and putting out as much horsepower as the 950's on 50% nitromethane!! It is less violent than a nitro burner but still puts out big numbers. We have had zero mechanical issues once we got it dialed in.
    For your street/dual sport conversion you will only need to fabricate the front motor mount brackets. The rear pivot mount and lower rear motor mount are identical to the 950. We do not run a cooling system, obviously that will be something else you will have to tackle.
    GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!
    Kerry

Mikael
    <!-- THE POST -->
  15. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    it's like a blessing from up above...
    can't wait to see this beastie :clap
  16. yellowbronco

yellowbronco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SUBSCRIBED!!!

Going to watch this very closely because I too have been contemplating this swap. I'm just waiting for my 950 engine to grow old and die which, if all indications are correct, might just be another 50000 to 75000 miles!

I guess I've got some riding to do.

So many people have made mention of how the stock 950 engine is already a great dual sport engine and, if anything, all it needs is more low end.

My opinion...It's a 950cc V-twin! It's got PLENTY of low end! Frankly, the kind of power that the RC8 provides makes me drool. If you're riding technical singletrack, short shift and lug the RC8 in a range where it'll be docile. When you hit the pavement and it's time to disturb the peace, let her sing in the higher rpm's where the full 150 hp is available

Tom
  17. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mikael, do you plan to use the FI system of the RC8 or the carbs of your 950?
  18. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    And again, easy advriders...

Yep I plan on using the engine as stock as possible.

Tehcnical singletrack will not be on the list when the RC8R is mounted.

Mikael
  19. mtb_man

mtb_man Unfettered

Oddometer:
    Great plan. The RC8 doesn't like to lug, it's meant to be at wide open throttle all the time. :super
  20. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    dood you need to find yourself a wide open desert somewhere :evil