KX100 what in the world to do?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ggamster, Mar 5, 2012.

1. ianmp

ianmp *****

Oddometer:
    Don't do that-- if you want to steepen the head angle, look into modifying the suspension linkage to pitch the front triangle forward more. You are already talking about a custom swingarm; it could be as simple as moving the forward shock mount.

-Ian
  2. 250kicker

250kicker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I keep seeing these kx100's popping up on craigslist but i'm still on the fence (i'm 5' 7 @ 190#). Sounds like a good bike to beat up in the woods. How about some more ride reports? enjoyed the vid.
  3. sixstringsteve

sixstringsteve Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got one and I rode for the first time this past weekend. It's definitely not a beginner's bike, and it doesn't have much low-end torque at all. Knowing that, it's an absolute blast to ride. It's a handful for a beginner. This bike has two personalities. For those who stay out of the powerband, it's a fun little putt around bike with zero low end. But it's manageable and lighweight. For those who know how to ride in the powerband, it's PLENTY of power, and a little rocketship. It's a blast. Wheelbase is too short, but seat height, weight, and agility are all there.

I'm planning on swapping to 21/18 wheels on mine, stretching it, and putting on a bigger tank to tackle the woods here. build thread here: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/95...a-kx100-for-a-small-adult/page__fromsearch__1

I think an xr200 would be a better bike for a lot of people, but if you want a rocketship in the trails, I think a kx100 could be the ticket.
    shrubitup likes this.
  4. Conman

Conman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. sixstringsteve

Oddometer:
    I love that project. It was what made me decide to use the KX100 as the platform for my trail bike.
  6. 250kicker

250kicker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "The M85 is aimed at creating a new market segment in the motorcycle industry." (2008 quote) ...So can you buy these?
  7. sixstringsteve

Oddometer:
    There was only one built, and the market demand wasn't enough to put them into production. They have a 30-page thread somewhere out there walking through the thought process behind marketing them. I think they're waiting for the economy to pick up before pursuing it further.
  8. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is my version.

Double Disc 8" bicycle front brakes, Single 8" rear brake, custom welded front and rear hubs, adjustable head crown, and KX85 forks, air (no spring) shocks I built 35 years ago (under seat). 160cc 19-17 wheels, 175# plus gas.

[​IMG]

Don
    [​IMG]
    2StrokesForever likes this.
  9. shirk

shirk n00b

Oddometer:
    That is an interesting build. Do you have more info on the build? Pictures of the rear airshock?

How much weight do you figure you saved with the bike brakes vs the lightest moto brakes? Why not hydraulic bike brakes or trials brakes?
  10. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    You want light !!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]
    If you can't lift your bike, It is TOO heavy !!!!!!!!!!!!

This was the first one. It was lighter. The same brakes and Bicycle Downhill forks (about 6 pounds), single side shock and 130cc engine.

If it is worth doing, it is worth overdoing. The front brake is overkill, but it looks good. The brakes are a little lighter than the lightest moto brakes, but the hubs, spokes are a lot lighter.

[​IMG]

The rims on this one are 20" bicycle (16" motorcycle) and they are a lot lighter. I built this one first and wanted a dirt bike, thus the other one. Mechanical brakes are simpler and available for bicycles.

More pictures here:
    http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj131/Salsa_dk/Honda CT200/

Don
  11. hugemoth

hugemoth Bad Motorscooter

Oddometer:
    Ultralight bikes are great. This is my poor man's version that I haul around on the back of my camper. It's a 68 Trail 90 frame, XR100 tank, forks, bars, front wheel, etc.. Lifan 140 engine. Well under 200 lbs, 60 mph, 100 mpg, street legal, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. I've got a bigger dual sport but really enjoy riding this one.

[​IMG]
    2StrokesForever likes this.
  12. kx100rider

kx100rider n00b

Oddometer:
    I have a 2011 KX100 project i have been working on.
  13. sixstringsteve

Oddometer:
    tell us more.
  14. kx100rider

kx100rider n00b

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Fmf Core 2 muffler
    53t renthal rear sprocket
    420 Gold renthal chain
    10oz fly wheel weight
    Cycra Stealth DX Handshields
    Pro Taper bars
    Pro Taper grips

Next to come is:
    IMS Tank
    FMF Fatty Pipe
  15. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Great stuff Don! Love the frame jig !
    I couldn't tell where the shock was on the bycycle based mo-ped. There is a shock , right ?

You make me want a bike that I outweigh !
  16. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not a moped, it is a genuine plated motorcycle. Below the blue seat there is the sub frame that follows the seat. Below that is a nickle plated cylinder that points into the tank. That is the top end of the shock. The bottom is connected to the structure that goes up the tire from the swing arm.

No pictures of the super simple secret guts of the shock.

OOPS, The shock on the moped (in Photobucket) is on the left side. It is a Cane Creek air shock. It does not even use air for damping.

Don
  17. 250kicker

250kicker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hey how about an update on your kx100 project! hows the bike- been riding it alot? any more changes or upgrades?
  18. ggamster

ggamster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love this bike. I have been criticized so much for building it. I'm not sure why everyone thinks this it is dumb. It is another tool for me to go fast. It is my fastest bike in tight familiar woods that I own. I Have quite a lot of experience and own a TXC310, WR250R, KX250, and this KX100. On the KX100 I can leave almost anyone as long as I don't hit any long straights. I have a list of things done to the bike most of which is listed in the below video. I forgot to mention I also have Factory Connection springs for my weight. I put a 54T rear on it and it is a tad overkill. I should do a 53t. The bike is proving to be very durable. I have rode the hell out of the bike and I put a ring in it last month. At that time I only had .003mm of end gap increase running Yamalube S-2. Still using the original clutch and springs. I would like to note that the only real downside I have noticed other than the 450's leaving me in the fields in with it being so light and have less contact patch due to the small tire size it move around a LOT! It is a new style of riding for sure. You have to teach yourself how to ride basically out of control and get comfortable like that. I have never fallen so much as I have on this bike. With that said I have never go as fast as I can with this bike. One other thing of note is I can climb hills like nobodies business on this thing. It is just had to keep the front end down and it is so light if I don't make it I can hope off and save the flip over. It is cool. I wouldn't want ot have it as my only ride but in the very tight woods where you want to haul ass it is amazing. It don't like to put around however so it isn't have good for exploring new areas. This is best for well known, speeder type of riding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuusL6sAm_g

and a MT bike video so you can see my other style and learn where my influence comes from.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6kNwfZ4DMM

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    shrubitup likes this.
  19. rotten

rotten LOST AGAIN

Oddometer:
    Can't argue with the performance of the KX100 I bought one for my daughter a few years awesome little machine. Honestly I ride it more than she does... :D

For CA riding needed to fine one pre 2002 for Green Sticker all year around riding.

[​IMG]
  20. 250kicker

250kicker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thats great gamster! nice to see someone going against the grain and doing what they want instead of riding with the sheep. if you wanted less criticism you could have turned a boss-hoss into an off-roader. The little kx100 sounds like a great playbike, thanks for sharing.