Dammit Boy

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by sstewart, Apr 21, 2012.

1. getagripgreg

getagripgreg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought my 950 with 85,000 + miles and a dead stator from this same failure. So those bolts can come loose after many many miles. I think it would be wise to check them as part of a major service, maybe every other valve check or so.

FWIW, the factory bulletin not only specifies the type of loctite, but where to apply it. Not only on the bolt threads, but on the entire mating surface of the two parts.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14392323&postcount=24

As for worries about shrapnel inside the motor, I don't think you should get too nervous. KTM does a really good job with screening and filtering the oil. Even the scavenge pump inlet is screened, so if you have a piece of steel bolt in the sump, it will land on the screen before going through the pump. Worst case, you will get some bits in the various ball bearings that are splash lubricated... but they are pretty tolerant to that kind of stuff. And the copper bits from the stator are really soft anyways, a good ball bearing wouldn't even sneeze at copper bits.

The oil tank screen catches any big bits before the pressure pump, and the paper filter catches anything after the pressure pump. Basically, no harm can come to your crankshaft and rod bearings from your stator failure.

The only way to eliminate risk of any damage is a complete teardown and clean or replace all ball and needle bearings. But since that isn't reasonable, just change the oil and filters, clean the screens, and try not to worry. :1drink

(My bike is closing on on 100,000 miles and has no ill effects from the stator failure, though it was not as severe as yours.)
  2. TcRulz

TcRulz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Firstly SStewart sorry for your troubles and thanks for sharing with the brothers in your time of need:cry.

Chuckracer I've always wondered about this too. i mean - if I undo the bolts and retension then I lost the strength of the Locktite. If I just check the tension and visually nothing moves and the tension is correct I should be right (unless something did move and couldn't see it, surface tension broken and locktite no longer bonding). And if I retension, something obvious has moved, do I undo and clean up both treads, re-locktite and hope for the best. May-be leaving well enough alone and not looking for trouble could allow me to sleep at nights:rofl
  3. 1stiski

1stiski Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer:
    By next week , I'll be diving into my 34,000 mile Stator check:rofl I'm waiting for one more part to arrive.
  4. sonoran

sonoran Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. ktm950se

ktm950se Banned

Oddometer:
    It'd be great to hear from those with later year bikes that have had this unfortunate problem.
    Hopefully there's a year, or specific serial number bike, that has been determined to have a factory fix implemented for this issue.

ktm950se
  6. sstewart

sstewart Long timer

Oddometer:
    I spoke to one of the guys at KTMWorld today. He said that the 05 didn't have the TB.
  7. sonoran

Oddometer:
    There was a thread posted not long ago where another inmate had his stator disintegrate. I don't recall if bolts came loose or what year it was.
  8. AdvGa

AdvGa Long timer

Oddometer:
    This was by Qwik:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18326645&postcount=37

<TABLE id=post18326645 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #575757 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #575757 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #575757 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-RIGHT: #575757 1px solid" class=thead align=right> #37 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #575757 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #575757 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #575757 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #575757 1px solid" class=alt2 width=175>Qwik<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_18326645", true); </SCRIPT>
    Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 4,468

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #575757 1px solid" id=td_post_18326645 class=alt1><!-- message -->[​IMG]
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  9. sonoran

Oddometer:
    Well that's the clutch side.. better tighten those up too...

I recall a stator being chewed up.. maybe it was in the Garage forum, not OC, and certainly not to the degree as in the pics above.

Too many threads to keep track of. :confused
  10. Hawk

Hawk Pretentious Fukwit!!

Oddometer:
    Scott,

Dude, I feel for you. All the work you put into this bike and now this... ouch!!

Gonna have to pull it apart I'm afraid :huh there are so many small copper parts laying around in there...
  11. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    Sstewart, sorry to see this, major bummer.... thankfully it looks like the filters caught most of it. Definitely will need a solvent flush for sure... I have set up a rig before where I took the pump out of my solvent tank, plumbed it up with a inline filter (prior to the spray nozzle) and had it in a pan of solvent just below the engine, with about 2 gallons of solvent I completely flushed the whole engine. Was not a LC8, but the principle still works..... you need to get as much of that copper debris out of the engine/oil system as you can so it does not foul things up any more than it may have already....

My "new" 06 950 ADV will be getting this attention with 648 loctite as well before we go on our 1000-24 IBA run this summer...
  12. sstewart

sstewart Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info Ken. This bike really came alive after I installed your jet kit. I hope I can save this thing.
  13. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear of your troubles. I just hand checked that mine are tight last week (06).

I figured me removing, cleaning and re-648ing the bolts came with a chance of screwing up (not removing all the oil etc) so I left them alone :dunno
  14. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    Would it be unreasonable to drill and safety wire the bolt heads to each other, daisy-chained, in this application?

Are there any interference issues?
  15. sstewart

sstewart Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a relief valve that comes into play with a restricted filter. This is why it is got by the filter. It seems that the screens did there job. I will flush and do at least four oil changes. Wish me luck.
  16. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    oh man, good luck with this, hope you get her back soon

prayers and 98 octane unleaded sent to orange gods
  17. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:

ickiness :puke1
  18. keener

keener Speed changes you.

Oddometer:
    I recall once when I was buying thread lock stuff, I was told some are safe to apply on oily environment and some not.

Sorry for what happen to you. I am no expert. I think I would do a couple of flushes and ride it.

If this happened while you were riding and you didn't immediately stop, chances are the damage is already done. If you notice any symptoms, then crack open the engine. You might not even notice anything giving several screens on lc8. Don't forget the clutch oil jet.
  19. sstewart

sstewart Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm going to pull the clutch plates,clear the oil jet,flush oil tank,and try to flush the sump. I think we will be good. This repair will cost several dollars,in parts and beer.:freaky
  20. jclark83

jclark83 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would it be wise to pull a valve cover and look for copper shavings? Good luck with it, I hope you do not have to open up the engine.