The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If they allow guests on the show I'll make sure you're not on the list.:wink::lol3
  2. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    That's certainly part of it. Cheap insurance. OTOH, I bought a '04 FJR under the PDP too, and the YES, which paid for itself with three cam chain tensioners, an O2 sensor and a bunch of diagnostic work before running out at 98k when I went over the 5 year mark. I know some others with early FJRs that had enough warranty to pay for their yes and then some, even if that wasn't the norm.

It's a new model and has only been out since '10, if not here in the US that long. I got mine throw into the purchase deal during negotiation.
  3. TH

TH There and Here

Oddometer:
    You definitely need an episode that deals with color envy. :wink: "Not having Blue, is making me Blue"
  4. 20valves

20valves Yamaholic

Oddometer:
    I've only bought the Y.E.S. thing once, for my '06 FJR. Complete waste of money, the damn thing NEVER broke. :D
  5. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Or, "Black, it's not just the color that sucks"
  6. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:

:lol3 :rofl :lol3

7. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    I must find time to do some farkles and post it.... this thread is going from bad to worst :baldy
    What do you think the non ST owners are going to think about us... :huh
    I'm starting to miss even the KLR comments!!

:lol3:lol3
  8. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    Funny thing about the whole color BS. When I bought my S10 the dealer had two coming on the PDP, (I was late to the party), and one spoken for. He knew he had one of each color coming, but couldn't figure out which color was the one already spoken for. He tried to tell me he had 10 people interested in the available bike, all ready to see it and sit on it when it came in. You know, 'serious buyers' :huh

After I explained that I was ready to buy the bike then, and didn't need to see it, sit on it, make vroom, vroom noises and didn't care what color it was, he realized we were negotiating. I got a decent deal, in part because Yamaha was still saying December delivery after the tsunami issues. The day after I did the deal, the dealer got the notification that deliveries would actually happen as originally planned in August. :D

Bragging about what color bike you have is sort of sad. I'd rather read the ride reports or talk about places the bike took you. Pluric has some great tales to share, if he'd just stop waxing the damn thing. :wink:
  9. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 1. Snowed in. Bike is in the garage on a battery tender. Light is solid green so full charge.
    Day 2. Still snowed in removed battery tender and put it on KLR.
    Day 3. Started bike without touching the throttle. Forgot to open garage door. CO2 detector working. Bad headache.
    Day 4. Stacked some more crap on the bike. Now using it to hang wet clothes on to dry from snow shoveling all day.
    Day 5. Swapped battery tender back.
    Day 6. See day one.

Yup I've got riviting riding tales alright.:thumb
  10. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One more thing I'll be up all night worrying about.
  11. Super Tenere

Super Tenere Voyager

Oddometer:
    DIY $2 inside rear fender cover, offers good protection for the rear break reservoir and no more tire spatter coming up through the side hole.
    To lock it down, one SS bolt with self locking nut and washer at front center location, and on the exhaust side made a small slit in cover, plus a SS clamp to side bar.
    To protect the brake hose I slit open an old extension wire (3 inch long) and pushed it onto the front curved edge, also used some old self stick foam on front straight edge.
    Made this from an old aluminum snow shovel that had a broken handle, cost to make was about 2 hours of tinkering and maybe $2 worth of hardware.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Often the best kind of farkle.:thumb
  13. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    Wait a minute, if you shoveled snow all day, why didn't you have a path to the street and go for a ride? The high is above freezing every day this coming 7 days. Not even forecasting for any chance of snow until Sunday.

Think I'll go for a ride. It's sunny and 69F on the thermometer here and I'm in the same state. Maybe you're bike isn't really blue, it's just cold? :lol3
  14. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You Southern boys don't know cold. Heading to the lake for a glorious weekend of
    Snowmobiles, snow tubes, towing snow toys, snowmen, snow forts, snowball fights,
    anything you can put the word 'snow' in front of.:bluduh

There is hope for warming weather. Vengence shall be mine!
  15. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:

snowsex:deal not to be confused with NOsex
  16. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    Earlier this year the wife and I went for a little three hour ride in 19F temps. Her heated jacket liner died so we came home early instead of adding another 100 miles or so to the ride.

Just do it. It's not like you got any real snow like the guys back East did. :wink:
  17. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    She may be a bit frigid but the cold gives me a valid excuse for having a little icicle.:shog

[​IMG]
  18. jly51

jly51 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You are a sick puppy.:rofl
  19. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    It's the black ice that concerns me, not the snow. Puts you on your ass in a flash. :eek1
  20. TH

TH There and Here

Oddometer:
    That would make any KLR owner proud! Good job, now I need to find a beat up ol' shovel to do my mine.