Around the World in 800 Days

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Later that night, we went to Kathe's grandparents house for cake

Here's a shot with her parents

[​IMG]

And here she is with some of her cousins.
    Which one do you think is the cutest? I know who I like best:evil

[​IMG]
  2. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What do you mean AS good???:D
  3. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Barakuda quote

Today i went to Mr`s TT shop to buy a side stand extender, once in the shop I couldn´t help but notice that the owner and the guys that work there had a very sad look in their faces.
    Then I was talking to the owner and he told me that a very good friend of him, a rider too, was killed this morning, he was hit by a truck whose driver lost control of the thing, it was a front hit. We are talking about a guy that travelled al thru SA in his bike, but today he was driving his x5, ironic isn´t it?
    I´m not saying that you should ride like an idiot, in fact a take it very seriously when I ride my bike, AGATT is a must and i´m 110% alert and focused on what i´m doing knowing that in every corner there is a stupid driver that wants to kill me, really, that’s best.

In the other hand i know that destiny can´t be dodged and that is what i say to every one that talk to me about how dangerous is rid¡ng a bike.

Yeah, just goes to show you, when it is your time, it's your time.......whether it's a BMW X5 or BMW GS
    RIP my moto friend
  4. fasttortoise

fasttortoise Smartest Idiot Here

Oddometer:
    Ed-

Your critics have trained you well. Call it like you see it and leave out the qualifications. Maybe Albanians really are assholes! Most people realize you are describing YOUR experiences and won't take offense.
  5. m&p products

m&p products Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just so you know: I traded in my X5 for Cayenne S this week! Love it !!! Stay safe and have fun!
  6. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    lucky sombish! :clap
  7. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Wow!
    Sounds like and early Bday present.
    Happy Bday!!!!!!

One question.........why not the turbo?
  8. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Hey.......don't call Kathe a sombish!!!!!!!!
  9. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    It was bound to happen.
    It is just an evolution that can't be helped.
    Like Arnold Swartzenhagger
    He started out as our Governor with all the right intentions. He wanted to cut out the fat in the bureaucracy but the teachers union and the Indians lashed back at him.
    Unfortunately, he had to soften his position to try and make everyone happy.
    But the truth is, you can't make everyone happy.
    So I am just focused on myself right now.

Posting my shit on the walls made me laugh and I hope it made a few others too.
    And my experience with the Albanians was not so good but I just wanted to be clear that my opinion was based upon a small sample size and when I go back, I hope to find a that my feelings have changed
  10. Shapi

Shapi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When they say throw shit against the wall to see what sticks, I dont think it was meant to be taken literally! LOVE IT.
    There used to be a web site called ratemypoo.com you should post id it still exists :lol3
  11. krucymucy

krucymucy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That first impression will stay as it is, unless if they totally change over winter :)
  12. blokkies

blokkies n00b

Oddometer:
    Ed, I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure you're running your front tire in the wrong direction. When mounted the tread pattern should be like an arrow pointing forward to disperse water, mud , sand etc. The way you have it mounted will cause all this debris to collect in the middle of the tire. Like I said, it's entirely possible that I'm completely wrong, just thought I'd throw that out there while you're on "vacation".
  13. Starstruck

Starstruck Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Indeed - there is even a 2007 New Zealand study that concluded: "Riders wearing a plain white helmet rather than a black one were associated with a 24% lower risk of suffering a motorcycle accident injury or death." More importantly, "drivers wearing any reflective or fluorescent clothing had a 37% lower risk."
  14. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    I think his front tire is mounted the way Heidenau recommends... It looks backward compared to what you'd typically see on a 4x4 because the front is setup stopping traction, where as the rear is for forward traction. My E07's were mounted the same way but I was also told it looked backwards a few times.

Stereotypes or not, Albania does give you more culture shock than usual in this rather westernized world :eek1
  15. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    totally depends on the tire, my street ride directional tread the arrow faces backwards.
  16. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I usually look at the tire direction after it is mounted to confirm the shop did it correctly. I am pretty sure I did this in Finland, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. I will double check it when I return to the moto next spring
  17. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Good info
    I want my next helmet to look like a disco ball
    Now wouldn't that be cool
    And safe
  18. RiderRick

RiderRick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got done reading all 314 pages in my spare time over the last few weeks, I sure have enjoyed your travels, great writing and perspective on traveling, I mostly enjoy your honesty and adventurous spirit, I want to Thank you for the inspiration. Safe travels sir, From another "not a BMW guy"
  19. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I was in Belgrade a couple of Weeks ago. It was raining and I was killing time with some of my fellow roommates in the hostel. I was showing them my RR and it was the first time in recent time that I went back and reviewed what I had posted. A lot of the things seemed like a different life ago. And I was even surprised myself how much I have accomplished and all the different adventures I had been on. And I have a lot more ahead of me.
    Thanks for riding along with me
  20. Starstruck

Starstruck Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Only $305 and it is DOT approved! (Girl and matching jacket are extra....) :rofl

(I just knew someone would have done it.....)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.